Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Considering Warbonnet, any noob advice?

I feel a little treasonous but as a loyal Hennessey fan, I am wondering if there is anything to buying a Warbonnet. I notice that those who own them seem to swear by them. I also notice they seem to receive the most posts (post # = owner # = better product?).

So a few questions.

1. Can I use my Hennessey underpad (or for that matter UC and OC) in a DL?

2. I weigh 185 and wonder if the right hammock would be the 1.0 oz DL? I prefer lightweight gear and wonder what the diff between the 1.0 and 1.1 is (especially given the 1.0 is cheaper). Why would I pay more for the heavier version?

3. How much better is the Warbonnet? Are there any "ex-Hennesseyers over here who could make the transition easier?

In short,

5'6", DL (for my HH UP), 1.0 Blackbird, would use my HH Hexfly. Does this make sense?

Oh yeah, what's the diff between the line strap and the adjustable webbing.

Thanks all!

Oh yeah, don't tell my fellow HHers I'm here.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Here's a video series I had on the Hennessey vs Blackbird. I started you at the 3rd video which goes into the blackbird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113yjebpHQI

So to answer some of your questions:

1) yes

2) just a slight thickness you can get away with the 1.0

3) See my video... Your Mileage May Vary

4) Adjustable webbing is easier to deal with just get a carabiner or a dutch clip and you're golden.

May the force be with you,

Raul
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I wish you had a DJ XL, Raul. In my opinion that video series is unfair to HH because you had an old bottom entry model to compare with. Of course, nobody expects you to go out and buy a HH zip just to compare with the BB! I do think that if you had a DJ XL at the time you made the series the comparison would have been much, much closer. All your videos are great and I appreciate the time and effort you put in to make them!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a thread on the Hennessy VS Warbonnet.....
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...essy+warbonnet
    Hope it helps some.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It's rare to find anyone that is disappointed in one. There is a reason they are so popular and well regarded.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

HH SS on WWBB

I have a bunch of hammocks and to name a few are the HHULBA, HHEXP and the WBBB 1.1 Dbl. I could have easily gotten away with a 1.0 Sgl but I enjoy the double bottom when using a CCF. IMO the interior space of the WBBB is pretty comparible to the Expedition. However, the footbox of the BB gives the hanger that much more room to stretch out.

To answer your question about whether the HH underpad will fit the BB Dbl my answer is yes. About a month ago I used the SS that goes with my HHULBA as a wind barrier and Yeti, CCF snugger-upper of sorts with the BB. I was amazed at the results. On a previous trip I didn't use the SS and I just couldn't get the Yeti to seal up the way that I needed it to and was left pretty darn cold all night with intermittent warmth and sleep. On my next trip out I decided to try the SS and it made all the difference in the world. The tempurature hovered at 27-29F and I was pretty darn comfortable. I believe that if I had doors on my Superfly it would have been perfect. I don't have a overcover so I can't speak for the fit.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I wish you had a DJ XL, Raul. In my opinion that video series is unfair to HH because you had an old bottom entry model to compare with. Of course, nobody expects you to go out and buy a HH zip just to compare with the BB! I do think that if you had a DJ XL at the time you made the series the comparison would have been much, much closer. All your videos are great and I appreciate the time and effort you put in to make them!
    I agree my report was made about 1 year before HH made a zippered version.

If I had a zippered version probably 50% of my issues (if not more) would have been alleviated. But the shelf and the foot box are one of my favorite innovations in hammocks.

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    8 years ago, I started with a HH Exped...hated the bottom entry, tiny fly, and less than adjustable set up. Truth be told, I shelved the thing and went back to ground!
    Since then, I've owned or made 12+ different hammocks. Some I liked for this reason and some for that reason. But at the end of the day, the BB does the most overall for me.

To compare to the HH Deep Jungle? I'll admit, I've never seen or laid in one. But based on specs alone, I'd still choose the BB...
    BB (using the WB ASYM diamond tarp) is 10oz lighter and $55 cheaper. (based on each website)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a thread on the Hennessy VS Warbonnet.....
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...essy+warbonnet
    Hope it helps some.
    Shug
    Again, unfair review(s) to HH. Anybody have a link to a review that compares the new HH zip models to the WBB? I don't doubt that the WBB is more comfortable but I would just like to see a fair review.

The only reason I got the DJ XL is because I wanted to get a Mod4 from 2QZQ so that I could go netless, which you can't do with the WBB. Well, plus I got it for $100 off with the stock and Hex tarps. I will have a WBB eventually, I've got insulation to worry about now.

As far as weight goes, the DJ is pretty darn heavy but I don't care too much because I mainly car camp.

To the OP, grab the WBB!! DO IT! Then give us a review!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Tell you what. If someone is willing to ship out the HH to me I'll do a review on it to give it it's fair review based on the new models.

Ship it out to me, I'll sleep in it over night, do a video review on it and I'll pay shipping back to the person who sends it to me.

I put it on the table who's picking it up.

Time Frame... sometime in June when I'm not so busy and can get away for an overnighter.

Raul

Youtube Channel:

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast