Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape

Exclamation What was your breaking limit?

I am extremely curious about both failed (broken under pressure) hammocks and failed suspension. There is a lot of concern here about breaking strength of rope and webbing just by itself. And tons of concern about knots that reduce the working limit of rope. I am not very old, but, I have seen lots of things that shouldn't work, work just fine. I love knots, when I was 3 I used to tie the neighbor lady to chairs when she would watch me. My site search didn't yield any results, so I hope this isn't an old topic.

I currently use (it was free) a product called Hercu-line. Mostly utility companies use it. Its half inch webbing. It doesn't tie for crap, but its very soft, so i'm guessing its either nylon or polyester. When I got it a year ago I was pretty sure the working limit printed on it said 50lbs. I thought it seemed kinda low, but hey, free rope.

Not having other resources yet, I've tied overhand knots to form loops on either end and use it to suspend my hammock. I've used it and it seems to hold up fine. Just to make sure, I figured the weight limit on most setups is about 250lbs, so i tested it with my friend. We both sat in my hammock for 5 minutes (not long I know), together, a total of 400lbs, on a simple suspension method. Rope end through the loop, cinch to tree, lash around carabiner.

Not even calculating for force exerted, our weight alone was 8x the working limit. Loosely, 1 person in a hammock exerts 600lbs, what is the figure for two?

I know this was long, but what are your guys' stories? Whats the most you have had in your setups? Did you 'bulk' up your suspension in anticipation? What did it take to break? My hammock is a DIY 1.9oz ripstop. Lemme hear about your accidents folks! I'm here to learn!

As an offshoot, anyone use a TRUE double hammock and sleep in it with a significant other?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Just curious where you got the 600lbs figure from? With a suspension at 30 degrees it is my understanding that the weight on each suspension is equal to the weight in the hammock. Certainly 600 lbs is possible as the suspension approached horizontal.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    with no holes
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing/biner

pull string

We used a similar product as a pull string when I was running fiber optic cable underground. I knew it as mule tape. It was for hydrolic cable pullers and I don't remember if it was breaking strength or working load but it was labeled 1250 lbs I think. My google fu says they are at least similar in usage.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Just curious where you got the 600lbs figure from?

We used a similar product as a pull string when I was running fiber optic cable underground
    Not sure where I picked that up from but it was recently reading both hammock and knot forums.

I looked for what I use for about an hour one day and while i found the manufacturer, I could not find any of their current products that are the same as mine. So its really hard to say with no adequate comparison.
    Last night at 16 degrees i slept in my hammock with a single line suspension that i came up with myself. It went well, but when i went to take the line down this AM I noticed that it had fused to itself in a few spots. I gingerly cut the fused area's away and salvaged it, and am wondering if that has to do the unexpectedly low rating.
    You don't sleep on the ground at home, why would you expect me to out here?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I know I'll not need to worry about my suspension for quite some time. 1/8" Amsteel whoopie slings.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Bad MahambaJamba
    Insulation
    Grizzly bag pad
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    I'm 6'1" and 350 lbs. And don't think this hasn't crossed my mind. Hahaha! I know it must be a very rude awakening with a strap breaking in the middle of the night. Especially if it's the head-end! If you like a high hang and sleep on your face...well, it might even do some damage. lol.

Being 51, heavy, and not healing nearly as fast as I used to, I place a lot of faith in my hammock maker and the suspension that comes with it.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Dain Bramage videos at

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatDaddy4Fun?feature=mhum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I had the same worry when I started with hammocking (only 3 months ago). To combat this is used climbing tube style webbing with a breaking strength around 3,000lbs. I also used climbing utility cord with a breaking strength around 2,000lbs. The only real worry that I had was from my DIY hammock (1.9 ripstop) failing. After a few naps and lots of lounging I have come to trust my gear.
    Hops

• + New Posts