View Poll Results: If you got an HHSS on sale, how do you like it(or not!)

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it, warm/dry and wind is well blocked

12 27.27%
  • I got it but have not had time to test it so far

9 20.45%
  • OK for the money, but I would really rather have a down UQ.

17 38.64%
  • Got it, I don't like it, want my money back!

3 6.82%
  • I hate the bulk of the HH pad!

4 9.09%
  • I hate the fragile pad!

1 2.27%
  • Love the over cover!

6 13.64%
  • Over Cover is a useless 3 oz!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

How's it working out for new HH SuperShelter users?

I'm curious mainly about all the folks who took advantage of the sale and got the pad, UC AND over cover for ~ $100? But really, any one who has been putting a SS to the test this winter.

So how's it working?

Hate it?

Love it and wish you had your money back?

In between?

Most especially, any major condensation issues, more so than you are used to having with other systems? Are you using a space blanket?

I'm not a new user, but I am new to the Over Cover plus there are some difs from my old one, so I will post also. But I have not really had an opportunity for real cold weather testing yet, it warmed way up by the time mine got here.

Hey, let's do a poll! I last did a HHSS poll a few years back, time for another! Now to think up some good choices!

Images
    I don't have the over cover, just the under cover and OCF. I have used it with a space blanket down to 7F. I had a little condensation issue on the space blanket.

For the most part I was happy with this. I wish the under cover was breathable instead of silnylon. I'm not to convinced of the long term durabitlity of the OCF pad either.

I've swapped back to a 3/4 UQ and my trusty CCF pad for now. The SS did it's job, no doubt. It's just heavier and more bulky than my UQ and pad.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I've only spent 1 night in mine, but very happy with it.
    Here's the review. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28914

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I've only spent 1 night in mine, but very happy with it.
    Here's the review. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28914
    Thanks, PS! I had not seen that review!

Y'all please note the poll. I'm sure my options are all wrong as usual!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Haven't had a chance to try mine outside yet. Now its away getting Zipper Mod done. Winter weather will (hopefully) be on its way out by the time its home.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    I don't have the over cover, just the under cover and OCF. I have used it with a space blanket down to 7F. I had a little condensation issue on the space blanket.

For the most part I was happy with this. I wish the under cover was breathable instead of silnylon. I'm not to convinced of the long term durabitlity of the OCF pad either.

I've swapped back to a 3/4 UQ and my trusty CCF pad for now. The SS did it's job, no doubt. It's just heavier and more bulky than my UQ and pad.
    Well, Joe, if you did 7F with just one pad and a SB, I would sure agree it did it's job, and my hat is off to you! Good grief, some of you folks amaze me with these SSs! Did you have a CCF pad in the hammock with you, or maybe a jacket or vest or 2 down under the HH pad? Your post says "just the under cover and OCF", so I guess the answer is no.

What is the weight of your 3/4 UQ and leg pad, and what is their temp rating?

Again, I am often amazed at what some folks can do with just a basic 21 oz ( for long) SS UC and pad plus ~ 2 oz space blanket.( full length mind you, not 3/4 length) I am pretty sure I could not approach 7F. I was very proud when I was toasty at 14.8F(6 windchill) even though I added the HH kidney/torso pad PLUS a 9 oz down vest and a fleece jacket under the pad. I thought that was great. And I was warm enough I might could have even done 7, but again: NOT with just the HH pad/sb!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Do you have a link to the HH kidney/torso pad? I can't seem to find them on their website. Thanks

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    interesting poll....i'll check back after a while but i do see a trend. it's a good alternative to an UQ and if you don't have mod on the HH. i think the HH's are horrible with an UQ unless you've got a jacks or DIY with an entry.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Do you have a link to the HH kidney/torso pad? I can't seem to find them on their website. Thanks
    You probably have to call them. For some reason they never list these on the website. I hope they are still available, but I don't know.

When HH first came out with the SS, they had a group of people test them at BGT ( http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...per%20Shelter/ ). After the test was in progress with some folks getting excellent results and one person getting poor results, TH asked the test be halted. He realized that the kidney and torso pads had not been shipped with the SS like he "intended". Which is odd to me, because I have never even seen them at the web site in a long time.

Any way, they got the extra pads and used them with further improvement in results. Strangely, I can't find any of those tests at BGT now. I can only find KWPAPKE's review, which ironically did not even use the kidney/torso pads. That is really odd as he apparently holds the HHSS record ( minus 27F)

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Ok, thank you BB58! Maybe we should have a records section of the forum.? Maybe not a forum but just have them posted somewhere. It would be kinda cool, anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast