Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    Am I courting disaster? I'm hanging in a Grand Trunk Nano 7 if that matters.
    Yes and no... maybe possibly... it depends. The weak links in that system are the treehuggers, the toggles and the structural ridgeline. If they are robust you may be okay but you are definitely putting more stress on the system than a better angle would. The structural ridgeline is designed to set the sag not hold the weight. Using an GT you added the ridgeline yourself so it depends on what you used. Amsteel ridgelines are overkill IMO but they would hold the weight.

When I am faced with a spacing wider than I can reach up I use my trekking poles to boost the straps. A paddle or half a yak paddle (assuming you use two piece) would serve the purpose as well. With the biner attached a good shake of the webbing drops it down to a reachable level for take down.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    The ones I got were actually not cheap, and purchased at Tractor Supply...so don't necessarily trust what you get at a farm supply store either....definite lesson learned on this thread on how to figure the factors in and being safe. The factors being key in the figuring. Thank goodness for all of you who are so informative and willing to teach those of us who have never dealt with this type of stuff before. I accidentally ran across this thread, and thought all along that I was fine, so this wasn't even something I was "searching" for. Glad you all are so willing to "teach".

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    is the QC in the manufacturing process.

Climbing and Life Safety rated gear is EXTENSIVELY documented, from raw materials to fabrication steps to lot testing, and sub-standard items never see the light of day. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I hang!

The "key chain" 'biners are spit out of third world factories with none of the QC mentioned. Some will hold a specified weight, some will fail at ridiculously low figures.

Some of our cottage industries sell lighter than life-safety rated 'biners, but I believe they do their own testing and I would use them, but I are a "heavy hanger" and I like the safety factor available with the good stuff.

I think that the message here is "Don't buy your 'biners as an add-on purchase while checking out at Office Depot or Dollar General!"

Jim

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc
    marketed a beautiful mini-biner, made of forged aluminum with a wire gate. Conspicuously stamped "NOT FOR CLIMBING". Roughly half the size of a conventional 'biner.

I am betting, knowing BD's QC reputation, that these little beauties were uniformly strong and could hold a significant load. But they disappeared from the market - I bet that some scruffy nerf-herder had one break in a climbing application and the lawyers nixed any further manufacture.

Now the only ones I can find are plastic BD 'biners. Sigh.

Jim
    Last edited by Jsaults; 06-28-2011 at 14:27.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Who's scruffy?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123