Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Pads. Pads, Pads - WTF?

Pretty much all I have left to buy for my first hammock setup is padding. However, there are so many options and opinions it's hard for me to figure out what to try out first. Then, it comes down to do I want to go with pads anyway or just go for an UQ from the start.

Here's some basic info:

What I do need is wide coverage because I don't fit on a 20" pad. My shoulders hang off by at least 2.5" on each side.

My first hang will be in March where temps here can still dip into the 20's, and sometimes lower, at night. However, there can be times with really nice weather.

What I don't want to start off with is a cheap Wal*Mart blue foam pad. I hate these things and refuse to buy one even if they are cheap.

For a top quilt, I have a JRB Katahdin already and love it.

If I go with just pads from the start, I am currently thinking of this configuration:

RidgeRest (Large 25x77") laying on top of a GG ThinLite pad (Wide 40"x60" 1/4" thick Evazote material). Total cost for this configuration would be $55 with a weight of 1 lb. 11 oz. This would give me slightly better coverage than a 20" pad combined with a SPE. However, I am not sure if there will be any slipping of the RidgeRest and the Evazote pad.

If I go with a quilt, the Speer SnugFit is high on my list and I should be able to afford it but not until the beginning of March. The cost difference between a new SnugFit and a new JRB isn't that much different because I'd probably go with a Rocky Mtn. Sniveler or another Katahdin if I were to buy a new JRB. The other option is to find a used JRB quilt.

- JT

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My advice is that if you can afford the Rock Mtn Sniveller or the Speer Snugfit, go for either of them. IMO you're going to want to migrate towards those anyway over time. (They're SOOOOOO comfortable). And don't forget that you can always make your own. Lots of instructions on this site and others on how to do it... (making a Snugfit would be hard, but a JRB type underquilt is very do-able).
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 01-18-2008 at 10:06.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Your pad configuration sounds like it would work just fine. You may glue some Velcro tabs to your pads to help them stay together using Barge Cement.

If you are interested in the SnugFit be sure to check Speer's sale items. There are some SnugFits listed there at 15% off.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I reccomend the 1/4 by 40 by 60in pads from OWARE, two of them. I'm short so lapping them a little works for me. Speer sells a 30in wide by 72 in pad, that is about the perfect size.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    @headchange: good idea regarding the velco if there is slipping.

@take-a-knee: The Oware pad is actually 3/16" thick but is the same material as the GG pad but what's 1/16" between friends? The speer 30" would likely not be wide enough, I think I am going to want 40" in my ENO Double.

Thanks guys.

- JT

Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    @headchange: good idea regarding the velco if there is slipping.

@take-a-knee: The Oware pad is actually 3/16" thick but is the same material as the GG pad but what's 1/16" between friends? The speer 30" would likely not be wide enough, I think I am going to want 40" in my ENO Double.

Thanks guys.

- JT
    I trimmed my Oware pads (the torso portion) 28in and it is a bit narrow, 30in would be perfect for me. I'm 5'8"/ 170#/41in chest. A big guy would need a pad wider than 30in probably, I just looked at Speer's site and he sells a 40in wide pad.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I just looked at Speer's site and he sells a 40in wide pad.
    Yeah, 40" x 80" very nice.

- JT

Images
    If you are going to get a Snugfit, now's the time- on sale recently!

For some reason, the all out PeaPods were not on sale. You might want to call up Ed and talk to him about PeaPod vs. Snugfit, pros and cons. Although, I'm not sure the PeaPod would be roomy enough for you without some alterations. Or for that matter talk to Ed about pads. I think you can actually get truly unbiased opinions from Ed. For gosh sakes, at his hammockcamping site and in his book he actually lists other hammock manufacturers and addresses!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you are going to get a Snugfit, now's the time- on sale recently!
    Yeah, I may have to put off getting my new backpack til March 1st and get the SnugFit on Feb. 1st if they are still on sale. I think the PeaPod would be too small for both me and my ENO double.

- JT

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice! Pan wrote this over on WB:

"On a new product, JRB will soon be adding a long wide pad.... Designed for the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock, for those who prefer pads.... It will also work well in other models....Especially, the long Clator Jungle Hammock... Folks taller than 5-5 or so may prefer it to the various 60x40 pads out there... You may want to watch for it."

I love the Jack's, no matter what neo says!

- JT

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast