Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can you still see it? Nothing is showing up on my 'puter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images
    Jeff,

From the home page click on Forums. It doesn't show up when you click on unread posts.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ah - I was going to the front page rather than the forums page.

I agree - it does need to look more like an advertisement and less like a sponsorship. Hopefully others will follow suit and it will become a rotating banner like WB has. Helps attroll out with the funding and gives support for cottage businesses. (Shouldn't we call them garage industries? Nobody works outof a cottage anymore... )
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Helps attroll out with the funding and gives support for cottage businesses. (Shouldn't we call them garage industries? Nobody works out of a cottage anymore... )
    I'd prefer being called a cottage business.. garage sounds trashy like a backyard mechanic. Plus, I donut want grease all over my JRB Quilt.

- JT

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - then we'd have to differentiate between garage businesses and living room businesses, anyway. And JRB stuffs their quilts in the bathroom... But at least they store them comfortably in the sauna! A happy quilt makes a happy hammocker.

Might as well stick with cottage industry, then differentiate with banner ads!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I will step in and say something here. I don’t spend a lot of time on this web site. I let Jeff and Slow Hike keep a handle on things here.

I personally did not want to have banners on this web site at all and wanted to keep it very simple so as I would not have to spend as much time here as I did working on the WhiteBlaze web site. I have received about two donations from HammockForum users in the last year. I am not complaining in any way but let me explain. We have been piggybacking on the WhiteBlaze server for over a year now for free. I felt it was time to help out by trying to help WhiteBlaze with some of there bills since we are using part of there server. I did not think one add being displayed at the top of the page would stir so much commotion. For what HammockForums is using for bandwidth and space I am guessing it would cost us over a couple hundred dollars a year to host this site and we have only received about $20 in donations since we have been online. I think that HammockForums has been riding the WhiteBlaze free bus for to long and not give back. Now don’t get me wrong and do not read too much into this. I am not saying we all have to donate to help out WhiteBlaze. If you choose not to donate that is your choice. I just saying why not help support this site and pay for the software and server usage that we get from WhiteBlaze. The site will not go away if you do not donate. I see not problem with ads rotating on the top of the forums.

The banners are not set in stone right now. I stuck them up there as a test to see how it would work out.

How about it I propose this for an option. If you do not want to see the banners on the web site I will make a deal. Become a donating member and then we will provide the option for you to block the banners on the top of the forums on the web site.

Angrysparrow
    The size of the banner is 400 x 54 pixels. I can not find a banner that could be any smaller and be clear enough to understand. I just tried reducing the banner and it is ˝ the size. Is that a little better?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been meaning to donate to this site for some time. Sadly I never worried about it. Not only are there financial cost but imagine the amount of time invested. I clicked on "Donate to this site" and it only gives you 2 options; $5 for 365 days or $10 for 365 days. It is kind of disheartening to find out we only donated $20 out of everybody. I hope some of us step up to the plate here since I know many of us spend quite a bit of time here and get quite a bit of return for $5 or $10. I bet 99% of the users could afford it without too much financial hardship. They take paypal so it is just a few clicks away.

And I don't care about any banners, I never noticed them.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I didn't see until it was brought to my attention either. They didn't get their advertising dollar's worth with me on that one. But...the reaction by AS reminds me of a guy once told me he hated my business card. Said it was ugly. My thought was... he will remember it...that's all that matters with any advertisement. BTW, the French word for warning...advertisement!
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    I've just contributed $10, well worth it in my estimation for the knowledge gained.

To be frank its not something I actively look for on a site. In that its an individual paying for the up keep of the server.

Something I will look for in the other sites I frequent.

Regards

Stephen.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast