WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    No ..... Certainly pack the extra undies .... They don't count asextra clothes is what I meant ...... Good hygiene is more a health issue than a smell problem.

Ray Jardine, in his book on ultalight hiking, recommends carrying a lightweight wash tub ( cut off bottom of a milk jug) to wash your spare socks and undies daily .... Rotate a clean pair on when you wash up every day or evening, then wash out your extras with a couple of drops of dr. Bronners and hang your stuff up to dry under your tarp or on your pack, depending on when you can.

Clean socks and undies are worth their weight in gold on a long hike.

Another tip that I use, is I hang up my tarp somewhere away from the shelter like a shower curtain. I like to use plastic soda bottles, or at least one bottle, for water, then take an extra cap and drill a small hole in the middle of the extra cap.

Warm up some water, say with alcohol that is left in your stove after your dinner water boils, and fill up the 20 oz bottle .... Put on the holy cap ( I had to say it Uncle MJM ), step behind your semi secluded shower curtain, and have a quick impromptu shower with a few drops of dr. Bronners and a bandana as a wash cloth. If your hair isn't too long you'll have enough water to wash your hair too .... Dr. Bronners washes out quick and easy with no residue.

Put on your clean undies and your hiking clothes, and you'll sleep SO much better you won't believe it.

Then wash the dirties again and repeat the next day or at least every other day.

Then every 4th day you'll hit a place to have a real shower and wash your hiking clothes.

Me, I typically carry extra undies, socks and a spare shirt. For undies I like spandex compression
    shorts because the almost completely eliminate chafing, but can also double as shorts in a pinch, especially with a long tee shirt. That facilitates washing my parts and dirty shirt every 4 days.

One more trick ..... Cut a window on the side of an empty soda can, flatten part of the domed bottom, add a short candle, and you have the world's lightest directional candle lantern.

What else can we help with? The things we miss on the trail are typically the last thing you'd think of at home .....

Drop us a note on this forum when you can and make sure you let us know if you are missing anything. We hikers stick together.
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    Warm up some water, say with alcohol that is left in your stove after your dinner water boils, and fill up the 20 oz bottle .... Put on the holy cap ( I had to say it Uncle MJM ), step behind your semi secluded shower curtain, and have a quick impromptu shower with a few drops of dr. Bronners and a bandana as a wash cloth. If your hair isn't too long you'll have enough water to wash your hair too .... Dr. Bronners washes out quick and easy with no residue.
    Talk about light reading... you read my mind Captn. punny

Miss you buddy, we need to get out in the woods again soon. It's not too late for you to jump on the Ozarks hang band wagon if you're not already.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    3 Season Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Captn those are some solid pieces of advice! I'm definitely going to try the milk jug laundry idea. Functional and lightweight--my type of gear! I sense a private joke with the holy cap, but that water bottle/shower head idea is genius. Do you actually undress completely for it? I'll probably won't be able to try that one out til it warms up some, I bet. Phew on the extra pair of undies lol. If someone were to tell me to ditch the extra pair, I'd say HYOH but I'm taking it!

By the way, I just want to give a major shout out to UncleMJM who met up with me in Stephen F. Austin park today to show me the ropes (heh) of hanging my hammock. I learned a whole lot and am that much more prepared (but still have a ways to go).

It's really happening, guys! I've set up my trail journal (under "zombiegrad") and will be adding posts to it soon. Thank you all for taking the time to help a newbie hiker and hanger out.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrocks View Post
    . Do you actually undress completely for it? .
    What goes on in the deep dark woods really aught to stay out there ..... No one on here wants to think of me with my clothes off taking a shower!

Heck, my wife probably doesn't want to think too hard about it either!

Time has limited meaning on the trail ... There is day and night ... All else is relative. And who says you can't step off the trail sometime during the day and freshen up?

If you average 2 miles per hour .... 1 mph uphill, 3 mph down .... Then you'll cover the distance between shelters in about 5 or 6 hours most of the time ..... As you get into N. C. You'll be doing faster and higher mile days, but the days will be getting longer too (they are longer in the north during the summer than in the south.

Even staring at 9 you'll hit camp with 4 hours of light left most days.

And during the warmest part of the day .... Plenty of time to clean up before it cools down for the evening.
    William Shakespeare

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    The most important thing for you to learn is water management.

Water is the heaviest thing you'll be carrying by far ..... I do about 1/2 L of water per mile generally when the daytime temps are in the low 70's. That amount doubles when it gets into the mid 80's and doubles again in the low 90's.

Water is generally plentiful along the trail, with some exceptions like the approach trail .... Steep, hard, and little water.

At 2.2 lbs per L it makes your extra undies trivial if you carry a couple of extra liters when you don't need to.

Most people ditch the filter after a while and go to chem treatment like aquamira simply because you can scoop, treat, and go. A mile later you can drink.

You can check out some of my more Extreme gear lists at markhenley.webs.com .... Might give you some ideas ..... But these are lists for a week max ... Not a thru.

Many people ditch Half their gear by mailing it home after the first 40 miles and start looking for lighter options on the stuff they do carry.
    William Shakespeare

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Diy for now...
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    So much unexpected info in the houston area!!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Yeah .... Well you should see what Randy can do with a utility trailer. Seriously, he could sell those things.

And UncleMJM, well, his organizational skills are par excelant!

Not to mention what he can do with a Dutch oven ..... (salivating).

This is the thing I love about The hammock community .... Such diverse skill sets all come together in this amazing, head spinning, plethora of information. Everyone is so helpful and sharing of themselves ....

It is truly a thing of beauty.
    William Shakespeare

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Diy for now...
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    All this info should be thrown into a houston/texas hang!!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith0104 View Post
    All this info should be thrown into a houston/texas hang!!
    Great minds think alike!

Texas Fall Group Hang

Texas Fall Group Hang 2009

Texas Fall Group Hang 2010: November 12-14

Texas Fall Group Hang II - 2010

The 2011 version is already on the calendar for the 2nd weekend in November!

In addition several of us join in on smaller hangs throughout the year. If you do a thread search for "Texas Group Hangs" you should see several.

But don't just wait until November, head out to the Texas invasion of the Ozarks!

In addition, watch for threads about other group hangs, they'll happen, or better yet start a thread and get one going. We love to get together and share ideas, play "show and tell", and learn from one another.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    The 2011 version is already on the calendar for the 2nd weekend in November!

In addition several of us join in on smaller hangs throughout the year. If you do a thread search for "Texas Group Hangs" you should see several.

But don't just wait until November, head out to the Texas invasion of the Ozarks!
    Yeah we are making it a TX invasion pretty well. Hmm 2nd week in November guess I need to try and keep that clear as the year goes on. And yes there is alot of knowledge on these forums if you ask/look in the right spot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12