Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    @ Mud Bone: I've already started thinking of this as "The Alamosa Project". Of course that would seem to limit Alamosa to just this one project, a fate I couldn't endure myself.

@ Griz: I agree. Watch for the braid stretching out where the suspension rope exits the connectors. However, didn't Samson say that wouldn't compromise line strength? I wonder how reliable those prussics will be maintaining the constriction when the pull at the other end is always trying to open it up. Should the bury be longer than usual to compensate?

@ Alamosa: Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing this with us. Have you used this setup in places where the trees were farther apart? The increased force on the suspension line if you need to tighten it up to keep the hammock off the ground may change things. You could put your tree straps higher on the trees, but there are limits. From your pictures I'm already guessing that you're taller than I am. Also, can you post a close-up photo of the prussic holding the connector taut?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud__Bone View Post
    a name that can be remembered would be a cool way to refer to it , rather than CSASRLS I look at that and my brain stalls lol . slow brain what can I say, guilty :P
    That was definitely said tongue-in-cheek, as if a 7 letter acronym is really short for anything. I am open to suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Interesting that this works. In all the other applications of "bury technology" discussed 'round here, the direction of the tension on the line into which the other is buried is more or less parallel to the bury itself. Here there is a distinct angle between the two cords that is going to be working to pull open the bury entrance.

With repeated use I'd keep an eye on those entrances to see how the bury entrance stands up to this.
    I was worried about that as well. Especially the first time I hung it and looked at that directional shift. But with further inspection I realized that the entrance is always being constricted, so it is the tail that must remain inline. Any divergence on that end will cause the whole constrictor to slip.

I am watching the entrances as if my butt depended on it (which it does ).
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    @ Mud Bone: I've already started thinking of this as "The Alamosa Project". Of course that would seem to limit Alamosa to just this one project, a fate I couldn't endure myself.
    Don't wish that on me, I already have a handful of projects underway!

@ Griz: I agree. Watch for the braid stretching out where the suspension rope exits the connectors. However, didn't Samson say that wouldn't compromise line strength? I wonder how reliable those prussics will be maintaining the constriction when the pull at the other end is always trying to open it up. Should the bury be longer than usual to compensate?
    That may be necessary. I want to find a better and shorter backing for the constrictor than the prussic as well.

@ Alamosa: Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing this with us. Have you used this setup in places where the trees were farther apart? The increased force on the suspension line if you need to tighten it up to keep the hammock off the ground may change things. You could put your tree straps higher on the trees, but there are limits. From your pictures I'm already guessing that you're taller than I am. Also, can you post a close-up photo of the prussic holding the connector taut?
    This is the only close-up I have right now. The blue amsteel is the continuous line, the grey is the constrictor, and the black paracord next to the bishops bag is the prussic. Both my test setup and first hang had trees about 18 feet apart.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I want to find a better and shorter backing for the constrictor than the prussic as well.
    Just a thought - could you use bungee cable instead of paracord for your prussic and instead of attaching to the tail of the connector use a prussic over the end of the bury, thus increasing the pressure on the suspension line before it exits the bury. You'd need a stopper knot on the tail right next to the exit point. I think there have been people on HF who experimented with increasing the constriction of a bury with external wraps. You would gain (actually lose) a couple of inches of length that way. You would still need to tie a prussic on the suspension line with the other end of the bungee loop. Bungees make nice tight prussics, so you might have more difficulty adjusting he hammock position.

Or ... a Solomon bar out of bungee cable to slide over the constrictor. That would be tight.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Just a thought - could you use bungee cable instead of paracord for your prussic and instead of attaching to the tail of the connector use a prussic over the end of the bury, thus increasing the pressure on the suspension line before it exits the bury. You'd need a stopper knot on the tail right next to the exit point. I think there have been people on HF who experimented with increasing the constriction of a bury with external wraps. You would gain (actually lose) a couple of inches of length that way. You would still need to tie a prussic on the suspension line with the other end of the bungee loop. Bungees make nice tight prussics, so you might have more difficulty adjusting he hammock position.

Or ... a Solomon bar out of bungee cable to slide over the constrictor. That would be tight.
    Great ideas! That is exactly what I am looking for. I even thought that something as simple as a paper clip may do the trick. Anything to keep that back end from moving and releasing the constriction. Small rubber band as a prussic may also work.

Tangent Alert: I was going to add an emoticon after the last paragraph, but didn't see the right one. Is it weird that with all the emoticons available, there is not any for thinking, reflection, contemplating? Maybe that says something about us forum folks.

Meanwhile back at the ranch: OK, everyone, for a more realistic name, how about simply Continuous Constrictor Suspension (CCS) or Single Constrictor Suspension (SCS)?

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    very clever rigging.i like it.
    bill
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    HammockBliss Triple
    Suspension
    Single Line
    Alamosa, Thank you again for pointing this out to me. I notice that many have pointed out the same concern about the entrance point to the constrictor as I had.

The other thought I had was to use a Klemheist over the Prusik on the back end of the constrictor. Due to its being a directionally loaded knot. I hope I'm on the right train of thought here.

Klemheist knot.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/klemhei...matedknots.com
    Last edited by Bitts; 04-28-2011 at 20:02. Reason: spelling
    Perhaps in the mad scramble for sexy light weightness I and everyone else has forgotten the most important function of gear – not that it must weight nothing, look good and be cheap, but that it must keep you alive and increases your survivability.
    -Andy Kirkpatrick

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitts View Post
    Alamosa, Thank you again for pointing this out to me. I notice that many have pointed out the same concern about the entrance point to the constrictor as I had.

The other thought I had was to use a Klemheist over the Prusik on the back end of the constrictor. Due to its being a directionally loaded knot. I hope I'm on the right train of thought here.

Klemheist knot.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/klemhei...matedknots.com
    I have not had any issues with the entrance point up till now - I have about 10 hangs so far with it.

Use the Klenheist or Prusik as you choose. It isn't carrying any load, just keeping tension on the back end of the constrictor, so as long as it doesn't fall off, it really doesn't matter much which knot is used.

I saw some very tiny clothespins at the office supply store (actually refrigerator type clips). I think if I remove the magnet, they would effectively lock the back end of the constrictor and I could eliminate the Prusik and the space it uses altogether. It may act as an effective water drip as well.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Or maybee use a needle and some thread to sew the end in place, just a thought

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    Or maybee use a needle and some thread to sew the end in place, just a thought
    Sorry, this doesn't make sense to me.

I was talking about applying tension to the back end of the constrictors that slide along the entire suspension/ridgeline to set the hammock position. If I sewed them they would be locked in position and defeat the whole point of this system.

Or were you suggesting that they be sewn and the thread ripped out for each hang?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast