Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    WBG, I am finally understanding what you mean by perimeter loaded. What kind of ribbon or grosgrain are you using? Is it completely free to move in a channel? Such as if I cut it a one corner could I pull the entire ribbon out of the whole tarp. I imagine you at least attach it to the ridgeline. After sleeping in 30 to 40 mile an hour winds last night I finally see how you can make your tarps so tight.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Man, that is pretty freakin b/a!!!!

Images
    it is sewn on all the way around.

theoretically, it should work if it remained free, but it will be problematic and take forever to get correctly set up. to test the idea, i origionally used bpl spectra inside the hem. it worked, but i quickly figured out it needed to be sewn in so it couldn't slide.

i later discovered that the granite gear white lightening uses the same concept. they use an edge binding instead of a structural hem which is probably easier for the factory to do.

i have just been using 1/2" nylon gg ribbon, but ideally, something lighter weight probably be better, something like polyester wouldn't stretch like the nylon gg ribbon does, and may work even better.

something i have long suspected, but just proved to myself with this new tarp, is that the sharper the curve, the easier it is to pull it nice and tight. with the flatter curve, you cannot get it quite as tight, although it still seems to get a good bit tighter than with regular corner pull tabs.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Are the flaps loctaed on the same side on each end of the tarp?. Staking them out open would make a great little alcove to shelter you from the wind.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Are the flaps loctaed on the same side on each end of the tarp?. Staking them out open would make a great little alcove to shelter you from the wind.
    yeah, same side, thats the idea, a 3-sided wind barrier and then you can pitch the free side of the tarp however you want.

Images
    Good looking tarp. Using bra clips may help me put some of my other skills to good use.

I saw that you had your hammock in it. Do you have problems with the hammock pulling the doors down? Do you thing you would have any condensatin problems?

Unfortunatly I haven't used my hammock in a couple months. But I was having a lot of problems with swirling wind. It seemed like no matter how I set it up, the wind would shift at some point and blow through my tarp. I know that site selection has a lot to do with it. But sometimes that is not always an option.

Do you think that this would work well setup on the ground with trekking poles? I have been thinking that I want to make a setup that will work for the ground, the air, or any other situation that I may come across. That way I only have to take one setup for where ever I go. This looks like it could work for that.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    if you notice the pic taken from the end, i left the door about 3-4" shorter right at the top so there would be room for the suspension line to exit for that very reason.

as for hp's, as long as they extended far enough it should work, the height of the ridgeline pull tabs is around 4'8". you could design it with a lower ridgeline, but i don't know how that would work for hammock use.

Images
    I dig it!
    Nice work as usual.
    After you said the door is shorter so the hammock can come out, it seemed there might be a limit to where you can hang (without the hammock hitting the door). I don't know if it would work or how you would implement it but perhaps some sort of vertical slit with extra fabric to 'close' in around the webbing.
    Probably not worth investigating but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    I dig it!
    Nice work as usual.
    After you said the door is shorter so the hammock can come out, it seemed there might be a limit to where you can hang (without the hammock hitting the door). I don't know if it would work or how you would implement it but perhaps some sort of vertical slit with extra fabric to 'close' in around the webbing.
    Probably not worth investigating but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    i did consider that as well, but this seems simpler and easier. actually my hammock usually has lots of sag and it still fits well. any less sag should be less of a problem as the line would not shoot downward as fast from the tree. i can see problems with hammocks that are signifigantly longer or shorter having problems like this, but it seems to fit a ~10' hammock with either little or lots of sag. i think that is a pretty common length. i think the eno style hammocks are about that long as well.

I think we are looking at the winter tarp of the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast