Hennessy side zip with supershelter?

Knowing that the super shelter, works by threading the hammock guy out through the overcover and undercover, is it possible to utilize the supershelter system with the side zip models? How would one enter the hammock?

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    I had to modify my overcover and change it from a feed through to velcro and instead of running the shock cord from the hammock to the ground i run the shock cord from the stake to the hammock and clip with with a mitton hook.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    I had to modify my overcover and change it from a feed through to velcro and instead of running the shock cord from the hammock to the ground i run the shock cord from the stake to the hammock and clip with with a mitton hook.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm figuring I'd be able to feed it through the under cover, but for the over cover I'm thinking to attach a hook to it and after entering the hammock, feeding it through and hooking it up to the guy out before zipping up.

Nothing too crazy I guess, easier then having to reach out of my tent and zipping my rainfly down all the way to the ground.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I just threw together a small piece of shock cord, cordlock and mitten hook like this. Seemed to work pretty good, but I only tried it one night so far. It was easy to reach up and unhook the OC before exiting the HH.

I need to go back and redo this more permanently so it can't pull back through the hole and get lost.

Crude drawing follows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I just threw together a small piece of shock cord, cordlock and mitten hook like this. Seemed to work pretty good, but I only tried it one night so far. It was easy to reach up and unhook the OC before exiting the HH.

I need to go back and redo this more permanently so it can't pull back through the hole and get lost.

Crude drawing follows.
    That looks good, and I will do something like that sooner or later. But even though I have a bottom entry ( but net is removed), I have been getting in and out from the side with out any huge problems. I just have to use some caution of course to make sure I don't get tangled in something and tear the OC.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-02-2011 at 21:41.

The newer version of the Undecover is made to apply to the hanging hammock. I think the ends close with Velcro, but it's been a while since I've seen a new one, so I'm no longer sure. That said, the Undercover wraps around the sides of the hammock with a bottom-entry slit matched to the hammock's bottom entrance. I think the Undercover would be in the way of entering the side-zip, but you may correct me if you can use them together without ripping something.

Rosaleen
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post
    The newer version of the Undecover is made to apply to the hanging hammock. I think the ends close with Velcro, but it's been a while since I've seen a new one, so I'm no longer sure. That said, the Undercover wraps around the sides of the hammock with a bottom-entry slit matched to the hammock's bottom entrance. I think the Undercover would be in the way of entering the side-zip, but you may correct me if you can use them together without ripping something.

Rosaleen
    The new UC and OC close around the hammock ends with an elastic through a loop and a toggle through a loop. Ultra simple compared to the original system.

Having cut the net off my HH Explorer UL over a year ago, I can say that the UC offers no problems whatsoever with side entry, simply not an issue. The OC is a good bit more troublesome, but still can be worked around, just use some caution. I have already gone back to side entry all the time, with no problems other than to slow it down a bit and make sure I am not putting a lot of tension on the OC, easy actually. Though NOT recommended by HH! If I am going to use this system with side entry long term, I will make a simple mod such as has already been mentioned. And then just un-clip or un-velcro the OC and lift out of the way on entry/exit.

OK, then!

Your having cut out the netting makes all of the difference in the world. With the netting intact, you would have a whole different situation, I would think. As you wrote, your set up is NOT recommended by Hennessy. The average person, less knowlegeable and less skillfull, may have problems.

The first poster in this thread asked about problems and does not mention having cut out his netting.

Rosaleen
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts