eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies

Winter Quilts by Stormcrow

About a week and a half ago, I had the chance to try out my new winter quilts by stormcrow. After reading up on all the cottage makers, reading other people's opinions, and the fact that stormcrow lives about 45 minutes from my house, made the choice easy. I decided to go with the local guy.

I picked up my quilts on my way to the ohio hang. I was nervous about taking brand new gear out without testing it first, but i figured that with the combined knowledge of the 8 guys there, we could overcome any issue that arose.

Some of you may be thinking, whats the big deal papi? We all have stormcrows gear and we know it works. Well since I am not your "average size", Adam and Jenny had to make custom quilts for me. xtra wide and xtra long. for references, I am 6'5, 415 pounds. I wasn't sure how "custom they would be. When I went down to try it out, I didn't see adam exactly use a measuring tape either.

So when I picked up the quilts, i was amazed at how light they were. The two quilts combined seemed to weigh less than than one of my big agnes down bags.

So I hiked the 2.5 miles to camp, rather enjoying my not so heavy pack for once. When I arrived, I set up my ENO DN, and attached the new quilts to my hammock. Adam has made a new prototype that I was trying. It has what I guess wold be considered a differential cut on the UQ. It is cut much wider around the upper part of the body then it is down by the feet. I jumped in to the hammock to wieght test it, etc.... One of the guys (either hammike or the xuprising) helped adjust the tension on the quilts. NO CBS issues here.

I decided to crash out early. I didn't have much sleep the night before and the temps were dropping and there was a dampness in the air. I thought maybe I would read a book, but when I got nestled in the hammock, it was lights out pretty quickly. I slept from approx 9pm to around 9am the next day. I got up once to water a tree, and once for the early morning constitution. It started raining around 1am that morning and it never stopped. We packed up that morning and went home.

So here is what i can tell you. It was my first time using quilts in a hammock. I am totally sold. It only got down into the 30's at night. I got so warm a couple of times that i had to pull back the top quilt for a few minutes. I wasn't wearing that much to bed, just some under armor underroos, and a long sleeve cotton top. I have no doubt I can make it into the single digits with no issues at all.

When i got home and aired everything out, I finally got a chance to really look at the quilts. They are exceptionally made, not a stitch out of place. I chose the drawstring foot bed so that i could vent it out if needed. they are silky smooth, full of feathery goodness, and a joy to use. The new differential cut works great, but i wouldn't know any different anyway. all in all, another fine produt from stormcrow. i am now going to buy a stand for the backyard so i can use them out there

So anyone contemplating buying some quilts, i would highly recommend hammock gear quilts. Adam even called me to follow up with me to see what I liked/didn't like. Thats customer service for you.

So any of you great big guys out there, call Adam and tell him you want the Big Papi version of his quilts.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's really awesome! I've seen stormcrow in some videos, but, have never met him personally. However, I've always had the impression that he was a cool guy and his gear has had rave reviews. Glad you had a successful hang and you gotta love the small cottage industries.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    BP:
    thanks for the review of your new gear. Glad everything worked out for you and hope you get many more warm hangs out of it.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Awesome story glad the custom quilts worked out for you. What are the dimensions he used and whats the weight on them? Them must be some big quilts how much down weight is in them? Any and all specs are are appreciated and pictures or it did not happen..

I love me my Hammock Gear quilts. Cant wait to get my new Long Winter Burrow in the mail. I'm really looking forward to having a bit xtra length to really pull up over me on those cold nights.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    LRR, you will have to ask stormcrow how much fill he put in, he said it was alot. Out of all of us, I think my buddy was the only one who took pics, and he is not on this site. So I am not sure about pics.....but I have witnesses!!!! RIP Waverly, tendertoe, the xuprising,hammike, my buddy mac, SLO, and even stormcrow made an appearance around the fire that night.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    It's true them is some nice quilts. That was me that spotted ya on the adjustments.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Welcome to the Hammock Gear cult!

Were you taught the secret handshake?

Jim

Hammock