TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64

DIY WBBB Bugnet - How to attach to gather? Help needed

I have finished the body of my DIY WBBB, and would like to know how to sew the bugnet appropriately to the gathered ends. Right now I am just using zip ties to test hang it (noting that the footbox end is a little tight without a ridgeline yet)

Do you just pin the two long edges and just SWAG the ends since it will most likely be pulled into the gather?

Also, for who may have a WBBB - I am curious if the 8" strip between the zipper and the bugnet is considered the body, and therefore, included in the width of identifying the center of the hammock (for gathering purposes).

Thanks guys - the weather is slowly getting warmer - yipee!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Wow, did I scare everyone away with the title? I just need to know how to sew bugnets as it comes to the ends.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I never was able to figure out how WB does it, as I've never actually seen a BB up close.
    When I made my FrankenBird, I just pinned the bug net up pretty close to the whipping and sewed it on. I'm pretty sure that I read that the BB bug net extends into the whipping, but having never seen it, I may be incorrect.
    Anyhow, I'd love to see a pic of the whipping and bug net attachment on a WBBB, if anyone has one they can post.
    I think that might help Sam and I solve this mystery (which really isn't a mystery... we just haven't discovered the answer yet)
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I haven't finished mine, yet. But I took a hint from HeadChange4U's instructions in the DIY HH thread. After I sewed in my footbox, and before I added the whipping, I overlapped the top and bottom and sewed them together for a couple of inches. The end I reinforced with a bartack stitch.

I was thinking about adding a hemmed triangle to that section to allow the edges of the fabric more freedom and less stress...

Not sure how WB guy does it... personally, I'm saving up for a BB... my kids will inherit my DIY BB...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    do a search for "Warbird" in the DIY forum

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Sam, the bed panel I think is considered the width
    I've been told just to sew bugnet close to the whipping

Bed panel -> zipper -> 8" panel -> bugnet -> 8" panel -> bed panel.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    do a search for "Warbird" in the DIY forum
    Interesting. I've read the Warbird thread and directions and didn't leave with a clear vision in my head of how to attach the bugnet.
    Is there something I'm missing?
    Mind posting a link to the post you are thinking of?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    The net on my "WAR BIRD" is attached to the sides all the way up to the point, as far as my sewing machine would let me get. The net is cut to a point and not attached square to the unwhipped width and then "scrunched" down like the bed fabric is. The very point that is not sewn is held tight by the line that is used to whip the end with. My edges are all bound with groisgain ribbon and the tail ends of that are also whipped in for strength.

Hammock
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    The net on my "WAR BIRD" is attached to the sides all the way up to the point, as far as my sewing machine would let me get. The net is cut to a point and not attached square to the unwhipped width and then "scrunched" down like the bed fabric is. The very point that is not sewn is held tight by the line that is used to whip the end with. My edges are all bound with groisgain ribbon and the tail ends of that are also whipped in for strength.

Thanks again Myles - I still look at your photos of your WBBB for instructions and reference. Rjcress - Thank you, and keep up the great work on your gear report site. Another source of great info.

I like your approach Myles. One concern I had was if there was any play in the ridgeline, how that would affect or ruin the bugnet. I think you approach would allow for any play needed. Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    Thanks again Myles - I still look at your photos of your WBBB for instructions and reference. Rjcress - Thank you, and keep up the great work on your gear report site. Another source of great info.

I like your approach Myles. One concern I had was if there was any play in the ridgeline, how that would affect or ruin the bugnet. I think you approach would allow for any play needed. Thanks.
    FWIW, what Myles did is pretty much the same way I did mine. His looks better with the grosgrain edging, but otherwise the same concept... well, except for how the ridgeline is attached as well.
    I need to unpack my FrankenBird from the group trip this past weekend so I can take pics to clarify what I've described.
    I'm thinking of unwhipping and moving my ridgeline to go through the whipping... just have been too lazy.

Also, on the topic of ridgeline length... I've been using an adjustable ridgeline where one end is a fixed loop bury, and the other is the same constrictor as in a whoopie sling. I've done this in amsteel 7/64 and a smaller cord i harvested from a parachute, that might be spectra.
    For a bugnet hammock I would fit the net with with the ridgeline at the max length. Then I can shorten the ridgeline, if needed, without ripping the bug net.
    I'm just not experienced enough to use a fixed "set it and forget it" ridgeline. I'm still fiddling with the length regularly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast