Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    ... The top row will be offset from the bottom row such that there will be about 3-1/2" spacing between the folds when you put the top and bottom layers together. The sewn folds in each layer will face the opposite layer, creating the "space" between the layers.
    I wonder if offsetting the folds from layer to layer will cause one layer's folds to press into and collapse the air gap on the opposing layer.
    I'm thinking that lining up the folds may preserve more air gap and provide more insulating value.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I wonder if offsetting the folds from layer to layer will cause one layer's folds to press into and collapse the air gap on the opposing layer.
    I'm thinking that lining up the folds may preserve more air gap and provide more insulating value.
    I won't know the answer to that question until after this weekend. I came up with the 7" offset spacing (3-1/2" spacing when counting both layers) after handling the IX. I placed it across cardboard supports and varried the distance between them until the IX sort of collapsed.

I determined the height of each fold to be 5/8" by similar method. I started with higher ones that sort of folded over under their own weight. Then kept reducing the height until stood up rather stiffly.

Of course, all this is theory until I make and use the product, but I'm fairly confident this will work.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS & thermarest
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    I was thinking of making a set of top & under quilts using primaloft.

has anyone had any experience with working this material in regards to thread injection issues etc?
    Cognito Ergo Sum

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Thanks for your interpretations of my speech I believe you all have it right. I have not worked with IX but if pleats are what you want I think deliberately putting them in like others have described is the way to go. random pleats could potentially cause cold spots in theory. Again never working with IX its speculation. I am interested in the material and its application. I thought I saw a tweek that could improve OP's performance. I have no experience so I will refrain from further comment and leave this thread to the experts.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Thanks for your interpretations of my speech I believe you all have it right. I have not worked with IX but if pleats are what you want I think deliberately putting them in like others have described is the way to go. random pleats could potentially cause cold spots in theory. Again never working with IX its speculation. I am interested in the material and its application. I thought I saw a tweek that could improve OP's performance. I have no experience so I will refrain from further comment and leave this thread to the experts.
    Packeagle, I understand what you were saying now, and totally agree that it would be an improvement. Thanks for your help.
    My experience with the IX is also quite limited, hence the scale models to try my ideas. Back to the drawing board I guess.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I won't know the answer to that question until after this weekend. I came up with the 7" offset spacing (3-1/2" spacing when counting both layers) after handling the IX. I placed it across cardboard supports and varried the distance between them until the IX sort of collapsed.

I determined the height of each fold to be 5/8" by similar method. I started with higher ones that sort of folded over under their own weight. Then kept reducing the height until stood up rather stiffly.

Of course, all this is theory until I make and use the product, but I'm fairly confident this will work.
    Great info and methodology.
    The word from the more experienced IX folks like Scott Littlefield and MacEntyre seems to be that a very small gap is ideal. 5/8" sounds like more than the recommended gap, from what I've heard. I was thinking of using more like 1/4" tall folds so that the effective gap should be something like 1/8" as you move away from the fold itself.
    Will be eagerly awaiting your test results.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    My pleats for airspace are 1" high and spaced every 7" and they face each other staggered so there is one every 3 1/2". I also have 1.1 rs on both sides.I do not know how low it will go by itself. My TQ and UQ are both 2 layers of IX. I was out the other night with just IXTQ and IXUQ and was plenty warm at 54 for a low and very windy.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks Charley! Now I'm feeling even better about my upcoming project. It's always nice to have confirmation of one's shaky ideas
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12