Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Lets me make custom size stuff bags for items that that did not come with them. Also makes you appreciate the skills of the people making the stuff for a living.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I do it just for fun, that's why I tie my own flies for fly fishing. It's all part of the hobby for me. Yeah, I've saved a little money, now that I can spread the cost of the thread injector over many projects, but not a lot. One of the main attractions is getting exactly what I want. I've only had one project that I wasn't happy with; that was a tarp. But I've made other tarps that I am thrilled with.

I've found I can save more when using materials that I got a super deal on. I don't think I save anything when using premium materials.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    On the topic of savings.

I want to give a DIY hammock a shot.
    I already have a sewing machine and suspension. I also have a snazzy 40% coupon for Joann fabric's ripstop. Now, I also have never attempted a sewing project besides making stuff sacks and a some wristies. With these conditions would I actually save some dough or should I just buy an ENO or something as a second hammock?

Fronkey

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    On the topic of savings.

I want to give a DIY hammock a shot.
    I already have a sewing machine and suspension. I also have a snazzy 40% coupon for Joann fabric's ripstop. Now, I also have never attempted a sewing project besides making stuff sacks and a some wristies. With these conditions would I actually save some dough or should I just buy an ENO or something as a second hammock?

Fronkey
    My personal opinion is, this is a perfect first DIY project. Especially if you are talking an open top. With 40% off, you will have $12-15 in fabric plus a spool of thread (and maybe a dozen needles coming up to speed on the sewing machine ) you definitely have the chance to save money.

It has a lot of good long straight seams to practice on. As the edges of the ripstop are already heat fused and all the pull on the ends will be in the whipping, the risk from a failed seam is very low. (Do fuse the ends where you cut even though you will hem it)

After just a little work, you can give it a wirl and see if you like it. At that point, you can gage your interest in adding a zipper, bugnet, shelf, footbox, etc. You will be at a position to make an informed decision about whether you are interested and are having enough fun to spend additional time and money on it.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    My wife would never left me drop $150+ on a piece of hammock gear. I have to hide my purchases. So, I spend $35 on fabric here. Use a coupon somewhere else for $10-15. And so on.... I get the proud factor that I did something with my time that I can show others and discuss the ins and outs. If I already have the equipment, which I did, I saved there. Is there a learning curve? Yes. Will it cost you learn? Yes. However, after that initial cost, I can now make a custom tarp or hammock. Soon it will be a backpack. I know can appreciate the workmanship of our cottage industry guys, even more.

If you just want to get out and hang... buy one. I think part of the experience at the hangs, is just checking out others DIY gear.

The most important cost saved comes about due to a cummulative effect or synergy effect. I didn't save much money on my hammock, fact none at all. However, when I made my tarp, I saved some money due to the skills and investing in the hobby. Now, I'm starting on my second tarp, my first backpack, and then a second hammock. I've figured my costs and I increasingly am saving money.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Have posted this before but I've got about 30 bucks in my hammock so far, but it's just a single layer hammock. But I had all the gear needed to produce the hammock, only needed ripstop.

IF you have everything but the fabric and skill, just buy a little extra fabric and practice stitching on that. You'll need to verify tension and setup of the machine anyways. Past that, you're talking about 4 long sides that need hemmed and then either whipping a not or doing a gathered,channeld end. Neither is hard or requires anything special. Learning to sew in high school they started with my kids just learning to sew, hem a straight line.

Seems like a perfect project.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Learning to sew in high school they started with my kids just learning to sew, hem a straight line.
    Just as an aside... IMO the best thing to do if sewing is totally and completely brand new is to just practice sewing straight lines. Take a plaid piece of material or something with lines on it. Sew along the lines of the plaid in a contrasting color. That way you eliminate the need to try and keep a hem from going wrong. You can even use graph paper or a section of the classified ads from the local newspaper. Anything with a straight line. (If you use paper make sure you discard the needle when you are done with the practice sessions. Paper will dull a needle faster than anything else besides hitting the metal throat plate. That was the skill test when my wife applied for a sewing factory job. Then start making curvy turns. Then work on the long straight hems. It will be a lot easier than trying to handle a hem and learning to sew at the same time.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Then start making curvy turns.
    THEN start making curvy turns? Shoot, if I could ever STOP making curvy turns!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    THEN start making curvy turns? Shoot, if I could ever STOP making curvy turns!
    That made me laugh.

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234