Uncomfortable newbie in Grand Trunk Double Parachute

I recently purchased my first hammock, Grand Trunk's Double Parachute. While it's beautiful to look at (love the bright colors!), it's quite uncomfortable for me to lay in. When I'm laying in it, the fabric is this strange combination of stretchy and taut that works against my back muscles. As a result, my muscles (which ones depend on what position I'm laying in) are hard and unrelaxed while laying in the hammock - in other words, laying in this hammock, even for a quick nap, is a workout for my back and causes some pretty serious soreness issues. I'm a tall guy (6'3"), but not a big guy (160 lbs), so that might have something to do with it.

The hammock is hung from the included knotted ropes that are attached to mounts I installed in my apartment that are about 6' high and 10.5' apart. Through the course of my troubleshooting over the last week, I've become quite familiar with the hanging recommendations on the forum, including the 30 degrees heuristic. Starting at the 30 degrees recommendation, I've adjusted the ropes in every possible way (no kidding!), but still can't get comfortable.

I'm also familiar with the diagonal laying recommendation and tried that in addition to what I think is every other possible sleeping position, but to no avail.

So, at this point, I'm beginning to think this isn't the hammock for me. But before I try another style of hammock (I'm leaning toward Mayan), I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience or could provide troubleshooting tips that hadn't occurred to me. Perhaps there are modifications I could perform? My goal is to replace my bed with a hammock if I can get a comfortable enough setup. I'm open to anything that might further that goal.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Have you tried an adjustable ridgeline for your hammock?
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You've tried different levels of sag? That hammock, like others of the same construction can create a bath tub feel with the side coming up around you. Something like the warbonnet Traveler might be more comfortable.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    I have an adjustable ridge line on my GT Ultralight, made dialing in the comfort hang very easy!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A picture is worth 1000 words. If you could attach a picture of how you hang your hammock and the room that it is hung in, you would likely get more useful suggestions.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie All-In-One
    I have the GT Skeeter Beeter Pro and had problems until I purchased an adjustable ridgeline and learned it should "normally" be 83% the length of the hammock. My hammock is 126" long, so my ridgeline should be 104.5" long. I thought to myself "This is a TON of sag" until I got in it and felt entirely more comfortable then I'd ever been in the thing. Today on my porch step are my whoopies for my suspension, because I'm tired of messing with the knot suspension that comes with the GT models. I have no doubt that fine tuning the perfect sleep will come from the structural ridgeline + whoopie set up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    I don't know how long that hammock is, but 10.5 feet seems like a little too close for attachment points, especially for a tall guy.

Images
    I'm not sure a ridgeline would help if the OP can not find the hammocks sweet spot. Usually once you find the correct angle and get that perfect lay then a ridgeline would help you repeat that setup.

I will guess this hammock is too short for the OP. An 11-12 foot DIY gathered end might be worth a try. Then there's not a lot of $$$ spent if that does not work.

• + New Posts