Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I'm half Puerto Rican.... the mere mention of rice and beans makes me hungry
    Gandules o Frijoles Negros?

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    .. you're not gonna tell us what costs a truck load of $$$???
    A six burner Partner Steel stove. Which then necessitated a bigger stove stand, bigger windscreens, and a bigger bag for the stove and the stove stand. Partner Steel stoves are the bomb, and will last a through a lifetime of river trips. But he already has a 2-burner, and a 4-burner. But we do have a river trip this summer with 21 people for 8 days, so that stove will be rockin' out some great food for a lot of people. All I can say is...... those folks better not put their tents near the best hammock hanging trees, or there will be trouble.
    So he can't give me grief about my new Traveler hammock, new 3-Season Incubator & Burrow, new 12 X 15 OES tarp, and new 2QZQ doors on my MacCat Deluxe.....oops almost forgot, new Black Rock Beanie.
    KJ - The Gear Head

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevlett View Post
    Hope you all have some good Rice and Bean recipes!
    One of the joys of living in the Southeastern United States for a few years, is their love of Red Beans & Rice.

This is one that I found years ago and modified here and there; love it! Also, to keep this in the realm of hammocks, I have eaten this while sitting in my Blackbird on at least 3 occasions.

Red Beans and Rice

1 pound dried red beans rinsed and sorted
    3 tablespoons bacon grease (DO NOT OMIT THIS. That would be just crazy)
    1/4 cup chopped tasso (plain old ham works fine)
    1 large, or 2 small, chopped yellow onions
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
    salt and pepper to seasoning; start with 1/2 teaspoon of each and adjust
    A bit of cayenne pepper
    3 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme
    1/2 pound smoked sausage; split and halved
    1 pound smoked ham hocks
    3 tablespoons chopped garlic
    6 cups chicken stock
    4 cups water
    4 cups cooked white rice

Put the beans in a large bowl or pot and cover with water. Make sure there is 2 or 3" of water above the beans. Soak beans for about 8 hours, drain, and set aside.

In a large pot, heat the bacon grease over medium high heat. Add the tasso/ham and cook, stirring constantly, for a minute. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers to the grease in the pot. Season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook until the veggies are soft, stirring often. Add the bay leaves, parsley, thyme, sausage, and ham hocks. Cook to brown the sausage and ham hocks. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.

Add the beans, stock, and water; stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken. Should be about 2 1/2 hours...or so. Remove from the heat. Smash about 20-25% of the beans in the pot. I use a potato masher, but the back of a spoon works fine too. Continue cooking until the beans are tender and creamy; about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.

Serve over rice
    This thread caused me to go to the store on the way home from work. Beans are soaking right now. Tomorrow night will be some good eatin!
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    A six burner Partner Steel stove. Which then necessitated a bigger stove stand, bigger windscreens, and a bigger bag for the stove and the stove stand. Partner Steel stoves are the bomb, and will last a through a lifetime of river trips. But he already has a 2-burner, and a 4-burner. But we do have a river trip this summer with 21 people for 8 days, so that stove will be rockin' out some great food for a lot of people. All I can say is...... those folks better not put their tents near the best hammock hanging trees, or there will be trouble.
    So he can't give me grief about my new Traveler hammock, new 3-Season Incubator & Burrow, new 12 X 15 OES tarp, and new 2QZQ doors on my MacCat Deluxe.....oops almost forgot, new Black Rock Beanie.
    KJ - The Gear Head
    all have our vices

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Rice and beans ain't no bad thing. Just sayin'...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    ... especially with a little andouille
    Or chorizo.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123