Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking Tips on This Tarp Setup

This is my first real setup and I was wondering if someone could give me some feedback or advice on my tarp. I noticed that the tarp sagged somewhat.

Inside is a Clark Jungle Hammock (made just before the spreader bars were introduced).

I used the short lengths of line that Clark includes with the hammock for the tie-outs. The tarp itself is made by Equinox and is silnylon.

The stakes were the basic aluminum stakes that come with most tents.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Jeff

[IMG][/IMG]

i would make a eye between the middle and outside eye for a guideline, so you can fold the corners in like doors
    and maybe hang closer to the ground so less air will pas underneath

doors and lower hang

Thanks. It took me a second to figure out your tip, but now I got it! Hopefully I'd have enough tarp to work with.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe this will help......
    Shug

PART 5: Tarps .... we love 'em .... we need 'em! Especially if you are a hammock hanger. We are going on a tarp journey ....I hope to cover MOST of the info. You are gonna have to do some research and trials yourself. It is the only way. The only. Site selection and widow-makers are touched on. Knots ... I cover a few but not all by any means! A looky-see at the continuous ridgeline for tarp. Under the tarp for snow camping. See the much talked about "figure 9" in action. Oh, the thrill! Toggles on tarp d-rings. Whooooo Pull outs on tarps. Some guy line speak. A look inside my DIY winter Tarp with Doors. A Coyote kill site.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Video

Thanks Shug. This is great. I'll check out the vid.

Here is one thought!
    Sil stretches when damp/wet one thing that help to alleviate this is tensioners, be it custom made ones like from whoopieslings.com, or JRB (just two places to get ready made ones, and I'm sure there are more)! Or you can make them yourself, or use some 1/8 shock cord! What this does it take up some of the slack in the tarp as the material starts to stretch, now mind you that proper set-up plays a huge role, like making sure that the tie out line is positioned properly coming off at a straight line from the end point of the tarp, basically with your tarp at the tie out corner it is a 90* angle(or so) between the two sides of the tarp, split the two at the point with you tarp tie out line and pull away till tight and you will notice a difference!

Clear as mud???

Just something to keep in mind!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hard to tell if you did this but for the corner tie outs you can also make sure it is staked out so that if you were to draw an imaginary line the cord would be centre of the triangle of the corners (splitting the 90 degrees in half).

Are you using a below the tarp ridgeline or no continuous ridgeline with the attachment points being tied to the trees?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Among the suggestions already given on the self tensioning guy lines, there is only so much you can do to get a perfectly tight pitch on a straight cut tarp. Catenary cuts are preferable for that tight pitch. Nothing you can do about that with your tarp.

That being said, your tarp could be a candidate for a 2QZQ pole mod. This is designed to told your tarp out in the middle to help shed off snow load and provide some extra volume underneath the tarp. This is the same effect as adding panel pulls to help prevent the wind from pushing in the tarp so much.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks

Thanks guys. This is a big help.

Bubba, I am using a continuous ridge line beneath the tarp.

Thanks Brian for telling me about the 2QZQ pole option. My Clark hammock will take up more space when I install spreader bars, so the poles might help here as well by creating some more space underneath.

I have some small tent pole sections and can also do a bit of sewing, so I might take this on as a small project. If I need to I can always visit polesforyou.com.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As Brian said, you can only do so much. Try either connecting the ends to the trees without a continuous ridgeline or try an over the top ridgeline. This may help pull the material up a little more evenly. Certainly a pole mode would be good for your hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast