Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Woopies/tree strap
    MacEntyre just saw your youtube video on your sock with dutch seep. Got me thinking one of those socks with noseeum netting in place of the nylon top is the next evolution of this design.The netting is removable with no velcro or zippers add an IX insert and by the time you need more under insulation the bugs wont be out anymore.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxman View Post
    MacEntyre just saw your youtube video on your sock with dutch seep. Got me thinking one of those socks with noseeum netting in place of the nylon top is the next evolution of this design.The netting is removable with no velcro or zippers add an IX insert and by the time you need more under insulation the bugs wont be out anymore.
    Taxman,I was thinking the same thing, have the bottom of the sock be IX/nylon and have the rest be bug net, and maybe that'd be sort of a built in UQ? It may be tough to keep it close to the hammock on the btm so the IX can actually keep you warm, I don't really know???
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxman View Post
    MacEntyre just saw your youtube video on your sock with dutch seep. Got me thinking one of those socks with noseeum netting in place of the nylon top is the next evolution of this design.
    You're right, Taxman! I've been thinking that...

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Taxman,I was thinking the same thing, have the bottom of the sock be IX/nylon and have the rest be bug net, and maybe that'd be sort of a built in UQ? It may be tough to keep it close to the hammock on the btm so the IX can actually keep you warm, I don't really know???
    No, the top does nothing to suspend the sock, so it will work just fine. After all, I have one with no top at all!

It's already offered on the MMG web site. (I forgot that I did that!)
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex 3lyr
    Suspension
    DIY Dyna whoops

eureka!

heres an idea.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before...

1) The bug net has one fixed side that extends over the ridge and down the other side about six inches or so (this has been mentioned before).

2) The entrance sides top edge is equal to the total length of the hammock sides (this would give the proper amount of "sag" for proper entrance and exiting).

3) In headchanges diy hennessy the ridge line ends are separate pieces of cord that run through the whipping with a loop on the head and foot ends to attach the ridge line to. something like this would be the perfect place to secure the shock cord that runs through the bug net channel. The attached shockcord would butt up to the ridge line perfectly, creating a better seal.

Hard to explain, but I may try this this weekend.

I don't know if this can be visualized outside of my head, but would a continual piece of shock cord fashioned into a sort of elongated figure 8 work?

Basically the same shaped net configuration as shown by hangnout, but such that one piece of shock cord is run through the entire thing as a closed loop then twisted at one end to form the 8.

The loops of the 8 would slip over the whipping at both ends and the crossing of the shock-cord, over / under, should accomplish an overlap. Especially if there is some extra material at the hem.

I'll try to scrounge some cord and give it a shot.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Lots of good ideas.
    I am following up with my one piece removeable bugnet with shock cord on one side, the bug net then goes under the hammock, up the other side and drapes over the ridgeline.

I tried to make a pattern out of Tyvek today. I was surprised at how much material I need.

My guess was:
    30"
    shock cord to hammock edge
    40 - 60"
    to cross under the hammock
    30"
    for bug net on non-shock cord side up to ridgeline
    12"
    to drape over ridgeline

I thought 10 - 12 feet would be enuf.
    12 feet of Tyvek wasnt close. It looked like I needed about 15 feet.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I am really liking the idea of a no-see-um hammock sock with a layer or two of IX on the bottom.

When you need a bug net, its so nice to have it integrated, but sometimes.. for day hikes or lounging around or whatever, you have no use for it. I enjoy saving the weight of the bug net when I am on a day hike.

Excited to see this thread progress. Thank you to those of you who are making prototypes.

Hammock
    El cheapo from Bass Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs
    Suspension
    DIY Straps & sling
    I think I fall into the camp of liking two shock cords. Having one side of the bugnet that "floats" seems like a problem. I do like the idea of having one side of the bugnet longer to create the seal.

Since I like the two shock cord idea, I would sew the seal to the top of one side along the shock cord channel. Instead of just having it lay over the opposite shock cord I was thinking you could sew some webbing on the inside of the oposite side at the top along that shock cord channel.

Then you could pull the overlap thru the webbing on the inside of the bugnet. In other words the overlap/seal would be tucked between the webbing and the shock cord channel. This would eliminate having to weigh it down (as when on the outside).

Hard to explain in words, and my drawing skills are even weaker.
    Shoreborn

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Shoreborn, I need pics, but I think I understand.
    Even tho I am a one shock cord guy, I like your idea and I'm going to steal it.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    As I see all the new ideas I keep coming back to HangnOut's (I think) idea of making a tube of mosquito netting that sits between the two shock cord channels to seal out the critters.
    I guess it would be sewn to one of the shock cord channels... or maybe even just hanging loosely on the ridgeline.

Ok, I guess I'm going to have to try this and see how it works.
    As much as I love my FrankenBird hammock, it is pretty heavy and I'm thinking I need to throw together a lighter hammock pretty soon for summer paddling and backpacking. I want to use the shock cord netting sides, but don't want the separate top cover piece or the fold over. Both are good solutions, but with too much fiddle factor.

I think my next hammock will be a Jerry #5/WBBB mashup with a small shelf and hangnout bugnet. Will have to think of a cool name though, since I've already used Frankenbird to describe my previous hacked together WBBB clone derivative.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast