Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The "G" tarp! Tyvek tarp tie out mod! PICS!

A while back I created a post about a different way to create tie outs for Tyvek tarps here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-tarp-tie-outs . I have tried a lot of other methods for the Tyvek tarp tie outs and this is what I settled on finally. It is a very easy way to create all the tie outs without taping, sewing, or damaging/modifying any original piece of Tyvek sheet. It deemed it the "G" tarp because I used cut off Gatorade bottle caps to sandwich the Tyvek between to create the tie out points. It is extremely strong and I have pitched it very tightly without any signs of wear or tearing. Now I know this post is not for the gram weenies out there but it is not meant to be. It is just a simple 9x11 piece of Tyvek converted into a very easy to set up tarp. I have yet to create a stuff sack for it but it does fold down pretty tightly and it actually does not weigh very much. I am in the process of creating a stuff sack for it and I'm going to pick up a postal scale today and report back with the final weight. Here she is!

Pictures of the tarp above hung in the common area of my apartment complex here in Louisville. I have yet to put 4 more tie out points 2' from each corner to create doors but it would be very simple and easy to add more. Along with center tie out points in the middle of the tarp on each side to use trekking poles to pull the tarp out.

Above are the stages of creating the tie out "caps". Essentially all I did was use my wood burning pen with the blade attachment to cut off the tops of the bottles just behind the collar of each cap. After the cap had been separated from the body of the bottle I remove the small orange seal break from the threading. I didn't show it in the pictures but I also melted down the sharp little points on each cap that create the safety seal on each bottle so they would not catch and snag on the material. I initially used a bandsaw to cut the caps and then put them on the belt grinder but it took a bit longer and I had to melt the sharp edges with a lighter in the end anyways. BUT just make sure you do this in a well ventilated area! I have a respirator I wore for wood turning and used a fan to draw away the fumes. Melting plastic is no good to breathe in! Once I had all the caps prepped and ready I laid the tarp out and marked each center point I wanted for the tie outs. I then place the cap on top of the Tyvek and screw the bottle collar in very tightly to sandwich the material between the two pieces. What is great about the Gatorade bottles is they all have a rubber seal in the cap so it holds the Tyvek in very tightly.

Here are some pictures of the tie outs at the ridgeline. I decided I need to melt channels in the bottom of the collars to hold my ridgeline centered on the cap to keep the caps centered like in the third picture above I centered the ridgeline on the cap. It still pitches and holds just fine, but it is a bit of my OCD coming out with everything not being centered.
    These last two pictures are of one of the corner tie outs and a center tie out. You may notice in some of these pictures I have a hole burned in the center of each cap. I originally thought I was going to have my tie out points come from the center but the pull on the tarp was uneven that way. I ended up just doing a taut line hitch on each end of my guy lines and sliding it tightly around the base of each cap.

I hope someone can take something from this post and use it. I really enjoyed messing around with different ways to tie out this material and honestly this was super simple and rather quick to do. I can also use the 9x11 sheet for any other project if I still wish because when you unscrew the caps the tarp is left undamaged underneath. Happy hanging!

Kyle

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    What a creative idea. I like it. I have a big piece of Tyvek which would work great for this! Do you find it to be very noisy? Did you wash the Tyvek before you made the tarp to help quite it down?
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I find your idea ingenious but it leads me to the question whether you have tested your tarp already under rain storm conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    What a creative idea. I like it. I have a big piece of Tyvek which would work great for this! Do you find it to be very noisy? Did you wash the Tyvek before you made the tarp to help quite it down?
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    I find your idea ingenious but it leads me to the question whether you have tested your tarp already under rain storm conditions?
    I did not wash it yet dkurfiss, but I spent a good couple of hours watch tv crumpling every part of it ha. It is not noisy at all and is now very soft. When I first received it in the mail and opened it I thought I was going to die unfolding it due to the noise but it quieted down to nothing after you crumple it a lot. XXL I ran the hose on it for a very long time and it had no issues so I do not foresee any problems with a heavy rain or wind.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Now that is a really spiffy idea! Its a great mod when you have nothing else but some bottles and cord - and a sheet of tyvek of course.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like the creativity. Nice gatorade ingenuity.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    I really like this! This might be a great way for some of my scouts to make a tarp!

Quote Originally Posted by V_Allen View Post
    Now that is a really spiffy idea! Its a great mod when you have nothing else but some bottles and cord - and a sheet of tyvek of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyker View Post
    I like the creativity. Nice gatorade ingenuity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    I really like this! This might be a great way for some of my scouts to make a tarp!
    Thanks!

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great idea! Nice way to add tie outs and looks like you can make the custom to the campsite.

Does the threaded of the cap on cause any deterioration on the tyvek? I'm just thinking that you could add extra tie outs for bad weather or less for good weather.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    looks like a great idea, and if you do end up tearing out an area, you are not totally burned, as your "grommets" are re-usable. I wonder if the size of the bottle makes a noticeable difference in holding power? and with the nature of tyvec, I would bet you could drill a hole in the cap, punch a round hole (instead of a cut) into the tyvec for a more secured grommet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast