Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

original version copy

I have nearly finished my hangnout style no-zipper/attached-bugnet. I used organza instead of noseeum. In office testing says it will work nicely.
    Added two things to mine. Attached a tab for the ridgeline to support the center section of the "roof", and added a pocket under each side of the roof at this same point to hold items that previously would have gone in a ridgeline organizer which will now not be used.
    When I lay in the hammock the shock-corded netting is just below the roof material and has a very small separation. I added 3 inches to the measurement from the hammock body to the ridgeline as per hangnout's thought that he would add some to a next version.

Anyone else working on this idea?
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    THANKS FOR SAVING ME LOTS OF TIME, Redoleary!! I was going to make a model too. I think you need a second shock cord along the end of the overflap. A shock cord (with a little tension on it from each end of the hammock) will draw the flap straight and flat back over the "long side". The pillowcase envelope seams at each end will keep it down over the long side. Does that make sense? That's what I figure anyway. As you say, you MIGHT be able to enter from both sides that way too, if you can draw the flap OVER the ridge line and down far enough to get in. I guess that means that the long side AND the flap have to be longer than the ridge line. This is explained in Hanginout's original description.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    To be honest I didn't really know what to do with the main shock cord to actually make it work as advertised. But I've not taken the time to go back through the thread and find the answer. I think I understand what you're saying with a shock cord from the ends of the overflap to the hammock suspension, but, wouldn't that just pull the flap up rather than possibly stretching the bungee? I was thinking if the overflap was sewn down the side then that would keep it where it belongs?? More like an old school sandwich bag maybe. I may have to work on my model or make another and see if I can work some of these mysteries out
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    I have nearly finished my hangnout style no-zipper/attached-bugnet. I used organza instead of noseeum. In office testing says it will work nicely.
    Added two things to mine. Attached a tab for the ridgeline to support the center section of the "roof", and added a pocket under each side of the roof at this same point to hold items that previously would have gone in a ridgeline organizer which will now not be used.
    When I lay in the hammock the shock-corded netting is just below the roof material and has a very small separation. I added 3 inches to the measurement from the hammock body to the ridgeline as per hangnout's thought that he would add some to a next version.

Anyone else working on this idea?
    An actual attached bugnet I like the pocket idea in the roof

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    You're right Red. I meant to say that the second shock cord would be attached down at the bottom of the "envelope" seam--so...what? 8-12 inches below the suspension line? Not TO the suspension line. I just think you need a little tensioned shock cord at the bottom of that overflap to keep it straight and flat against the long side. I wish I could draw a diagram like RJ and Dejoha do... . Your analogy to an old-fashioned sandwich bag is right on!
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl/DIY
    Tarp
    OES std/DD Hattarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & CrowsNest
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    You're right Red. I meant to say that the second shock cord would be attached down at the bottom of the "envelope" seam--so...what? 8-12 inches below the suspension line? Not TO the suspension line. I just think you need a little tensioned shock cord at the bottom of that overflap to keep it straight and flat against the long side.
    Pips, sorry if this is a dumb question or has been answered up-thread, but what keeps the second shock cord tensioned if it's attached down below the suspension? I feel like I'm missing something.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Oh yeah. That's a good point, Matto. Hmm...I guess I was thinking there wouldn't be very much tension on it. Just enough to keep it flat. It may be unworkable. Maybe Redoleary's model will work just fine with just the overflap sewn down on both sides to the longer side. Just trying to avoid (1) a gap when you're in the hammock and (2) using weights to hold the flap down.
    "Pips"

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I really wish I had seen this thread before I started making my latest hammock. Now I have to determine how to retrofit this into a double layer with the edges already sewn together.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    I really wish I had seen this thread before I started making my latest hammock. Now I have to determine how to retrofit this into a double layer with the edges already sewn together.
    FWIW, that is how I do all of mine.
    I finish the hammock itself, dial in the ridgeline length, make sure I'm happy with the whipping... then I add the bug net.
    No biggie, just add a seam where the bug net attaches to the hammock sides. You can cover it up with grosgrain or bias tape, or leave it au-natural.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    I intended to copy Hangnout's original design but due to my "fly by the seat of my pants" DIY approach I had to make some modifications. I didn't want to whip and hang my DIY hammock in order to measure how deep to cut the bug net prior to sewing so I guessed..... Not the best idea. So each side has 34" bug net with shock cord. I found that this was way to much so I tried to drap both sides over the top of the ridge line. I added a couple of tie outs 24" down from the whipping in order to hold one side from flipping back over the RL. With this in place while I'm in the hammock I can easily pull the non-tied down side over the RL (below the tied down side) and it creates a really good seal....really only takes a second or two. After experimenting I really only need to do this in the middle as the sides are already overlapped and sealed because of the tie down. I originally wanted a double exit bug net so I did install the tiedowns on both sides so I can decide in the field which side is the best access and easily change it without flipping the hammock. I'm going to give it a try for my BWCA trip next month but with back yard testing it seems to work well.

Here's a short video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tl_dxb8MwI

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast