Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Just want to make sure I have this right:

The curved portion of bug netting, opposite of the straight line you attach to the hammock itself, is in most instances about 24 inches?

Love the idea, fellas. Nice work.

For those of you who have done it, the "slab" that would over lap the ridgeline should be about.. how wide?

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Woopies/tree strap
    that idea is genius. I am thinking of building a variation on wwk10's drawings. My twist is on the long side(non entry side) attach 2 shock cord channels (or series of loops) at the seam where the hammock meets the netting and run that up to where the ridgeline is and clip 2 the ridgeline. That way you can flip the flap over the back when your sitting up at night. you could also unclip from the ridgeline and clip to the entry side underneath the hammock to go netless

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have no pictures yet... but I'm about to build a hammock with this basic bugnet design. It's going to be very simple, and will work whether or not your hammock has a ridgeline.

Only one side will have shock cord; the other will drape over it with a bit of overlap, like a Molly Mac Gear Hammock Sock. It will be set up so that the shock cord roughly lies along the ridgeline, if you have one. There is no hardware. You can get out either side.

When you toss off the side with no shock cord, and hold down the other side that has shock cord, the entire hammock opens up, with all the bugnet down.

When you release the shock cord, and toss the loose side over it, you are all sealed up again!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I have no pictures yet... but I'm about to build a hammock with this basic bugnet design. It's going to be very simple, and will work whether or not your hammock has a ridgeline.

Only one side will have shock cord; the other will drape over it with a bit of overlap, like a Molly Mac Gear Hammock Sock. It will be set up so that the shock cord roughly lies along the ridgeline, if you have one. There is no hardware. You can get out either side.

When you toss off the side with no shock cord, and hold down the other side that has shock cord, the entire hammock opens up, with all the bugnet down.

When you release the shock cord, and toss the loose side over it, you are all sealed up again!

- MacEntyre
    Mac... seems to me that in hammocks with no ridgeline, the side with no shock cord would fall down when you did not want it to if you pulled down the side with the shock cord, for whatever reason. Another way of saying that is that the side with no shock cord dependents on a ridgeline to hold it up.

On another note, one thing that is very different about this top opening bugnet scheme is that the requirement for the size of the bugnet along the ridgeline is different. A bugnet that is attached along a ridgeline that is attached directly to the ends of the hammock needs only to be as long as the ridgeline along the ridgeline but has to be as long as the hammock along its edge where it attaches to the edge of the hammock... unless you want the bugnet to be top opening. Then the bugnet needs to be as long as the hammock is along its edge at the ridgeline of the bugnet.

Does that make any sense? One thing it means is that you can not just modify an existing bugnet that is not 'sized' as a top opening bugnet to make it a top opening bugnet because it may not be long enough along its ridgeline to allow it to be pulled down to the edge of the hammock. For example: Some of the 10 foot long hammocks, which are 120 inches long, are set up with a 100 inch ridgeline. The bugnets for those have to be 120 inches along their edges but only 100 inches along their ridgelines. A top opening bugnet would need to be longer than 100 inches along its ridgeline, more on the order of 120 inches, or it would not open up.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Mac... seems to me that in hammocks with no ridgeline, the side with no shock cord would fall down when you did not want it to if you pulled down the side with the shock cord, for whatever reason. Another way of saying that is that the side with no shock cord dependents on a ridgeline to hold it up.
    It works with the sock... the shock cord on one side holds both sides up, because they are overlapped like a SEEP. A pocket allows you to use something small to hold it down.

On another note...

Does that make any sense?
    Yes! I have an advantage in that the Molly Mac Gear hammock sock pattern already takes all that into account.

All I'm really doing is replacing 1.1 nylon with noseeum bugnet.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    It works with the sock... the shock cord on one side holds both sides up, because they are overlapped like a SEEP. A pocket allows you to use something small to hold it down.
    - MacEntyre
    What I am talking about is what happens to the side with no shock cord when you pull down the side with the shock cord... does it not fall down since there is no shock cord to hold it up?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    What I am talking about is what happens to the side with no shock cord when you pull down the side with the shock cord... does it not fall down since there is no shock cord to hold it up?
    yes, it falls too... problem? You're getting out. You could put the loose side over the structural ridgeline.

It would also be easy to put a shock cord in both sides, with the SEEP side removable.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I see the non-shockcord side dangling down into the dirt and leaves.
    Every time you furl and unfurl the seep it would collect some debris, unless the hammock is hung high. When re-entering and catching a face full of sand or mud, the design would be a fail.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I see the non-shockcord side dangling down into the dirt and leaves.
    Every time you furl and unfurl the seep it would collect some debris, unless the hammock is hung high. When re-entering and catching a face full of sand or mud, the design would be a fail.
    If I'm picturing this correctly, which is unlikely, the SEEP will be held up at both ends, and won't reach the dirt. Still, I like what Mac suggested, re: a second shock cord.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    yes, it falls too... problem? You're getting out.
    What if you are not getting out, just reaching out for something or are trying to get in from the shockcorded side and that falls down in your way? Just something I thought of that sounded like something you might have overlooked. Anyway, you will get it all worked out, I just thought it sounded like an aggravation factor that you overlooked that I could give you and others a heads-up on... not a biggie.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast