Tarp Separate From Hammock

I have a HH EXP UL with both the standard asym tarp and the bigger HEX tarp. I want to use the hex tarp in a second set of snakeskins with a second ridgeline so i can be under the tarp without having the hammock open. I got some cool camo mesh to use for the skins figuring i will follow the directions and dimensions on Just Jeff's site. i got 2 yards of matl so that should cover as the tarp has a length of around 11 ft along the center. But I am unsure as to how to make the ridgeline. Do I have to run a cord from one tree(or whatever the support may be) to the other with the tarp over top or can i just tie to the clips at the end of the tarp out to the support with nothing under the tarp for a ridgeline? Can I use my homemade tensioners with this setup too? a flapping tarp always seems to wake me up alot. Maybe the small tarp will get converted into an undercover someday as i prefer the extra coverage over me from the hex tarp. Thanks!

Images
    I use the McCat tarp and do not use a ridgeline. I think most people do not use one with their tarp. When you pull out on the ends of the tarp, it will pull the tarp tight enough. A couple people on either this site or www.whiteblaze.net (a good site also to check out) use a ridgeline that their tarp rest on. They said that it did not cause any wear on their tarp. I think that a tarp having a tarp rest on the ridgeline would have to cause some sort of wear in the long run, but that is just my opinion. YMMV

On the snake skins, I can't remember if Jeff has it on his site but I added wire ties to the big open ends per one of the Jacks suggestion. It makes it easier to pull over the tarp.

I use homemade tensioners based on the design v2 on Jeff's site. They work really well for me.

Also welcome to the site.
    Last edited by Coffee; 12-17-2006 at 01:25.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My hex tarp is the MacCate Deluxe.

I just use the stock hooks on the HH.

With an open hammock I do use a ridge line. There is an HH pocket on the ridge line. The tarp is above the ridgeline and held taut with prusiks and mini-carabineers. The slack in the ridge line allows things easilyto be hung on the ridge line.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i don`t know if you`r intending to put a tensioner on the ridge line or not , but here`s what i discovered.
    i put tensioners on all 4 corners of my tarp, and also on one of the ridge lines.
    but i found that the tensioner for the ridge line causes problems.
    for one thing if the distance of the two trees i want to use are just a few inches farther than the length of the ridge line, the tensioner gets in the way.
    even if the trees are farther apart, it seems to be difficult to put enough tension on the ridge line w/ the tensioner on it.
    besides, the tensioners on the 4 corners keep the ridge line tight.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also check out the snakeskin instructions on the JRB DIY page. Mine are quick and easy, but you'll get some wrinkling at the end. Works good with mesh, but I'd use the cone-shaped design for silnylon.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks for the advice I'll let you know how it turns out...

• + New Posts