PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    I was the first hanger in my troop, now we have 6 and growing.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Are you going to sleep in that? No. I'm going to fill it with water and go swimming. Here's your sign.

Great report, and I'm sure you got some converts.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Our Troop is going to Camp Raven Knob this summer for SC.
    They specifically list hammocks as being allowable at the High Adventure base camp and when I called the Director with some other questions, he said it was OK for the regular campsites but cautioned about checking the ground under you and not being too far off the ground.
    I told him about the Forum mantra of never hanging higher than you want to fall.

However my son just went through the first half of local council NYLT training (They break it into two weeeknds, 1st one in buildings, the other out camping) and they would not allow them to hammock camp for the outdoor portion. My son was bummed!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I have an order for a 3 season incubator UQ, but I have not recieved it. Hammock Gear was experiencing some delivery delays for supplies and I ordered on short notice. So, my insulation will be a mummy bag that was converted into an UQ.
    You will love your Incubator! I just bought one from a member and have been having fun testing it. This weekend is going to be outside with a new tarp to test too. I'm still using a down mummy for a top quilt and just unzip it and tuck it around me. I'm thinking of removing the zipper and moding it to make it into a smaller stuff size and lighter. How are you using yours?

I am also bringing a poncho liner to use under that UQ if I feel the need. I am using a sleeping bag for top insulation, and again, if the need arises, I can get in the bag.
    I recently got a good look at the poncho liner and am now on a mission to get one. There are limited Army Surplus stores here. Do you have any suggestions of where else to get one?

That includes two tarps and seven tents- all canvas.
    We had canvas tents growing up! Loved that old thing and when Mom finally bought a Sears nylon tent she hated it and wanted the old one back! They're heavy as all get out and a pain to set up but they're bomb proof!

It started to rain just a little Sat morning and I switched to my other set-up, my DIY Gathered End and Noah's 9 and used the same insulation. I didn't want to take a chance with anything getting wet and I could see a few small pin holes in the crazy creek tarp.
    I'm not surprised you didn't get wet with the Noah Tarp 9, I've been in huge storms with mine and was dry as a bone! I just take the side angles all the way to the ground. Is the Crazy Creek tarp the tarp Tent model or something diff?

Both hammocks seemed to have stretched a little over night, and sagged a little lower to the ground.
    I haven't noticed my ENO streatching. Do you think it could have been your straps? What type are you using with your Whoopies?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I just got a notice that my Incubator is on the way--wooohooo!!
    On this trip I had 2 mummys, neither was down. 1 I cut the zipper and hood off and used as an under quilt, the other I just layed over top of me. Neither are very light, and would like to find a down mummy or maybe a TQ, but that will be down the road.

Army surplus is about the only place I know to the poncho liner.

The crazy Creek is just a tarp. I think it came with a hammock originally.I recieved it on the PIF thread. I didn't notice the pin holes. This tarp has tie outs on the side, think middle of tarp, to pull it away from you when you are in the hammock, and that is where the holes are. May not have leaked, but wasn't taken any chances, since I had another. I will get some seam sealer and fix this.

As for the stretching, I think it was just everything kind of setting in. I don't think it was the hammock, the straps are polysomething. Not nylon. All I know is I was lower to the groung in the morning then when I went to sleep. The marlin spike was right at the tree, so not a lot of strap used.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    You will love your Incubator! I just bought one from a member and have been having fun testing it. This weekend is going to be outside with a new tarp to test too. I'm still using a down mummy for a top quilt and just unzip it and tuck it around me. I'm thinking of removing the zipper and moding it to make it into a smaller stuff size and lighter. How are you using yours?

I recently got a good look at the poncho liner and am now on a mission to get one. There are limited Army Surplus stores here. Do you have any suggestions of where else to get one?

We had canvas tents growing up! Loved that old thing and when Mom finally bought a Sears nylon tent she hated it and wanted the old one back! They're heavy as all get out and a pain to set up but they're bomb proof!

I'm not surprised you didn't get wet with the Noah Tarp 9, I've been in huge storms with mine and was dry as a bone! I just take the side angles all the way to the ground. Is the Crazy Creek tarp the tarp Tent model or something diff?

I haven't noticed my ENO streatching. Do you think it could have been your straps? What type are you using with your Whoopies?
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12