Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I all ready know but let me run it by the pros. I have my BB hung from the ceiling in the basement. I did sleep in it last night for 4 hours but was not as comfortable as I could have been. There was a line under my knees that was not going to work for me.

On investigation this morning here is what I noticed. My ridge line was more like a lose string hanging in my face. The suspension lines were at more of a 45 degree angle and not 25 like WB suggest. To get to 25 degrees I will need a ladder to get into it. Questions:

1. is the ridge line lose issue being caused by the angle of the suspension lines?
    2. Is this causing the ridge under my knees that is uncomfortable?
    3. Can I make this work or do I need to build one of the hammock stands I see in the DIY section?
    4. Does the angle of the suspension lines determine how flat you can lay?

If I can get a little more flat and get rid of or greatly reduce that line under my knees I think I am going to like sleeping this way.

Hammock
    1.7 WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    I have never hung my WB from the ceiling, but I suspect it is not the best way to set it up, and the cause of your problems. I think you will need a stand.

The only time I got the ridgeline to sag was when a strap loosened through a buckle.

The line under your knee is probably related to the ceiling hang and the angle.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Without pictures, kind of hard to tell. Prolly cause you are hanging from the ceiling, but again, without pics,,,,

Iv'e done that with no issues, the steeper (more vertical) the suspension, the more likely you will have ridgeline sag. So for me it took hanging my suspension about 30' apart, or maybe it was more, I didn't measure, but the house is only 40' wide, & I wasn't that far wide.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The ridge under your knees is an issue that has been discussed at length, here. I'm tempted to say it's an issue separate and apart from ridge line tension and sag angle, but that's probably not entirely correct. Suffice it to say, though, that knee ridge is a problem for many of us, no matter how the hammock is hung, and it's not unique to the WBBB.

What works for me: little changes in where my butt is located in the hammock make a difference in my lower leg and foot comfort.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

OMG kill me now. So I went to Menards to buy some 2x4s to make a stand. Hey they had a pretty good looking stand for $100 that was much more heavy duty than I could ever make. So why not?

I set the stand up and it does not raise the hammock far enough off the ground. Whey I lay in it my rear is against the bar. So I tighten up the suspension so there is a zero angle. Still not off the floor and a big lesson learned. I am not concerned about the WB strap suspension system ever letting go. It was nearly impossible to loosen up again.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Yep, take it back and get the wood you need to build your own. I spent less than $35 for my entire stand, including hardware at Home Depot. I used 2x3's for the base and outriggers, though.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    spread out your attachment points to 25-30 feet and use long straps/whoopies. you will be able to achieve a much more desirable hang.

Thanks for the help guys. It is getting better. After a nice salmon dinner and a jug of cheap wine I am making progress. I measured it and found I was exactly 15 feet. I moved it out just 3 more feet and things are much better. My line angles are 32 degrees ( yes I got out the protractor feel free to make jokes) and the ridge line is probably a little too tight but not bad. I also measured each side to make sure the hammock is dead center. When I lay down in it the ridge under my knees is nearly gone. I will try to sleep in it again tonight and see how it goes.

This hammock really is well made and it only took 7 days from order until it was at my door. I think this will work out. I just need to get used to it.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by charadeur View Post
    To get to 25 degrees I will need a ladder to get into it. Questions:
    Thats your problem, to correctly lay from the ceiling with this hammock you'll need your hang points farther apart till you get to the 25 degree angle. My guess, you'll need to make a stand instead if you can't put eyebolts into your wall somewhere.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    If the ridge under your knees bugs you still and you can't make it go away, put a pillow under your knees, and give that a go.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast