Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Images

My AT pack list -- please critique

I'm starting out ~3/14. This is my spring kit; things will change as the weather warms up. A few of the weights may be a bit off; a couple of things are still coming in the mail or not bought yet. I'm not looking to count grams here, so much as make sure I'm not missing something obvious or taking something that's a waste.

Item Weight (oz)
    Shelter & Sleep
    Treklite Doublenest 20
    JRB NoSniveller incl stuff sack 23
    JRB Nest incl stuff sack 21
    suspension 2
    (ENO bug net added in summer)
    CCF sleeping pad, incl wings 20
    MacCat deluxe tarp 13
    Straps 3
    lines 8
    stakes 1

Food & water
    spork 0.5
    Camelbak empty 8
    water bottles 2
    Jetboil PCS incl fuel 22
    Aquamira 2
    Bearbag and line 2

Hygeine & Health
    Campsuds 2
    burt's shampoo bar 2
    TP 2
    Body glide 4
    Bug dope in summer
    FA kit 10
    poison ivy soap
    antibiotic ointment
    bandaids
    moleskin
    razor
    iburofin
    pepto tabs
    claratin
    imodium
    oxycodone
    cough drops
    small Ace bandage
    safety pins

Misc
    Lighter 2
    vaselined cotton balls (thanks, cannibal) 2
    multitool 2
    maps 8
    companion/data book 4
    Money/credit cards/ID 2
    headlamp/batteries 4
    camera 5
    paperback book 8
    notebook & pencils 8
    MP3 player 2
    Spare batteries 4
    Bearbag and line 2
    Stuffsacks 1
    2 Bandanas 2
    JustJeff pack cover 3

Clothes in pack
    Stuff sack for clothes 2
    spare T shirt 3
    2 spare compression shorts 6
    spare socks 4
    spare sock liners 2
    sleeping socks 3
    Thermal jammies 12
    Balaclava 4
    Frogg Toggs (camp clothes over jammies) 16
    mesh ballcap (for rain) 3
    crocs 6

Gear in Pack weight 281

Pack
    Atmos 50 51

Total Base Weight 332

Consumables
    Water (2.5 L) 40
    Food (32 per day *5 day) 160

Total Pack Weight 532 (33.3 lb)

Worn/carried
    Boots 52
    Poles 16
    Tshirt 6
    Insulated top 8
    fleece 22
    Compression shorts 3
    socks 3
    sock liners 2
    zip-off pants 22
    Gloves 2
    insulated ear band 2
    Sunglasses 2

Skin Out 674 (42 lbs)

A few questions:

-- I haven't bought the Atmos yet -- any thoughts on that vs. a ULA catalyst?

-- I listed wearing an insulated top, a t-shirt, and a fleece -- is that overkill (considering that I could use my PJs & raingear in a real emergency?)

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    I'd add a small sewing kit and a fold of some duct Tape. That way you can repair stuff if you have a situation. Maybe a toothbrush and some dental floss. You could always use a willow twigh for that I suppose, make sure you can identify it. I'd still bring the dental floss, you could make it part of the sewing kit by using that instead of thread. JMO!

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Images
    Ah -- forgot to add, I'll be putting duct tape on my poles, and hopefully getting poles with a built-in compass.

Good suggestion on the dental stuff and the needle.

Images
    Ok, a few suggestions. Do you plan on having a JRB and a pad underneath you? Insulation is a person to person thing, but that may be more than you need with that start date. Maybe you could switch the pad out with something like a winshield screen, or insulbrite. Just cruious if you have tried out that setup and how low it has gotten you.

Ok, now the small stuff. All just my opinion and suggestions...

Switch camelback with platypus bladder. It's lighter, and common enough on the trail that patches or replacement peieces like a hose or bite valve can be found.

Campsuds and shampoo bar. I doubt you would end up taking showers out there. Everyone stinks, and no one cares. Worst thing that could happen is you are clean, which makes everyone around you smell really bad. If you stink, you don't notice when others do. Hiking is a dirty activity. If you stress being clean too much you will go crazy. Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer instead. Just clean your hands after using the privy, and before you handle your food. The rest can be cleaned in town in a shower.

Other than that, you in pack looks good. Right around the weight of mine. I figure if you are in the low 30 lb range then you are fine.

When you hike, you will probably be down to the zip off pants and a t-shirt. I keep my rain jacket handy for when I take breaks to act as a wind jacket. When you hike you are burning so much energy that it's hard to get cold. I get cold easily, and actually broke a small sweat hiking in 30* weather earlier this year. All I was wearing was zip off pants and a thin nylon long sleeve shirt. So I hike in a t-shirt year round now.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I sold my Osprey Aether 70 and got the ULA Catalyst. I love the ULA. It very comfortable and it should save you some weight.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think the list looks good, you listed bear bag and rope twice. Some of the stuff you will probably send home pretty soon. For a sewing kit I took of the strike pad off of rainproof matches and put 2 sizes of needles in it then wrapped some thread around it. I never used the matches but used the needle and thread a couple times. I also like to take super glue, if for nothing else i use it for blisters. I don't use glide anymore I use butt paste. A very small amount will give you so much comfort. Remember gear doesn't take you to Maine, you take the gear to Maine. You will see alot of people regearing a Neels Gap.
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-22-2008 at 20:53.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    I couple thoughts. Mainly is it is going to get cold out there when you are starting. Nights in the 20's or lower is not uncommon.

Other than that just be prepared to figure it out as you go. If in doubt carry it. If you don't use it and it isn't emergency/first aid, ditch it.

I will say that most people only carry sleep clothes and wear the same thing hiking everyday. With the expection of socks. But I usually seemed to wear the same socks. I would rather wear wet ones than carry them.

I only carried hand sanitizer for cleaning. I still have the same 2oz thing of camp suds I started with. I think I used it 2 or 3 times when it was really bad and I had a place to swim.

I would make sure you have a water bottle you feel comfortable sleeping with. Also Aquia Mira will freeze if it gets cold enough.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I would carry one of these for sleeping with a quilt:

http://www.bozemanmountainworks.com/...wproduct&id=90

Also, I've had better luck with Underarmor boxer briefs than compression shorts, the legs fit me snug enough to prevent chaffing, they are lighter and dry MUCH faster, YMMV.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Yep it could still get really cold in March down south. I camped on top of Blood Mountain last Easter night and it was 11° F
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Ok, a few suggestions. Do you plan on having a JRB and a pad underneath you? Insulation is a person to person thing, but that may be more than you need with that start date. Maybe you could switch the pad out with something like a winshield screen, or insulbrite.
    Yes, I'm planning on the pad and Nest both. I have not been able to test this in appropriate weather b/c of my location. (I will be doing a 4-day shakedown in NC starting next week.)

Does anyone else think this is too much?

Very useful feedback -- keep it coming.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast