Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I can only say, from Springer to Neels Gap, really look at you gear, and see what you need, might need, and what you'll never need. Keep a mental check list as you go, and see what works well for you. I know that my aborted thru was an awaking toward getting my base weight to 11-12 lbs for three seasons. But remember what works for some, doesn't with others. Also I suggest having the staff at Neels Gap to go through your pack (they do this for free, and can really help). They might be able to point out things you might not think of. Anyway, good luck and happy trails.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Stay warm, be happy. If you're too warm and too heavy, mail stuff home. Either way, we'll be out on the Trail while everybody else is sitting at work thinking about how nice it would be to be out there carrying a heavy pack!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    One more thing. What really helped me was comfort and entertainment. Find something that no matter no bad/cold/wet it is you can eat it and everything is all good. I'll give you a hint, mine was coffee.

The Neel's Gap people were great. I talked to one for awhile about my foot problems. I heard they are pretty tough about cutting weight when they go through packs. Some people are all about cutting weight, which does make hiking better. For me a couple extra pounds can make a huge difference in comfort and ease.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by furtigan View Post
    Yes, I'm planning on the pad and Nest both. I have not been able to test this in appropriate weather b/c of my location. (I will be doing a 4-day shakedown in NC starting next week.)

Does anyone else think this is too much?

Very useful feedback -- keep it coming.
    No, I think it is just right, I slept out the other night with my Rock Wren/Nest with minimal clothing (running tights, ss and ls tee shirts, acorn sox, thin PP balaclava). It got down to 22F and I was getting kinda cool, not miserable at all, just a slight chill, and it was more noticeable on the bottom side and I don't think anything was wrong with the Nest's hang as it is kinda hard to screw up hanging it. So, I've decided I need a CCF pad for temps below 25F.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    One more thing. What really helped me was comfort and entertainment. Find something that no matter no bad/cold/wet it is you can eat it and everything is all good. I'll give you a hint, mine was coffee.
    I have a coffee press for the jetboil, but I probably won't take it.

My luxury will be my MP3 player. It takes AAAs, so no need to recharge, and has a microSD slot for expandable memory. For $100, I'll have my entire CD collection on the trail with me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by furtigan View Post
    I have a coffee press for the jetboil, but I probably won't take it.
    My luxury will be my MP3 player. It takes AAAs, so no need to recharge, and has a microSD slot for expandable memory. For $100, I'll have my entire CD collection on the trail with me.
    Noooooooo!

That's cool. I plan on buying a hand crank radio if I can get one for under 10oz to carry. If it helps I think the press works better if you use it like a screen.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's cool. I plan on buying a hand crank radio if I can get one for under 10oz to carry.
    7 oz. and even has an LED flashlight right here.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    7 oz. and even has an LED flashlight right here.
    Close to what I am looking for. I want one with at least a weather band. I love that with my headphones. Good or bad, it's nice to know what is going on without having to wait on the news. Charging my cellphone wouldn't be a bad option either. What can I say no one can confuse me with a ultralighter.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

That's cool. I plan on buying a hand crank radio if I can get one for under 10oz to carry. If it helps I think the press works better if you use it like a screen.
    I got one of these for Christmas. I don't know the weight, but it's pretty light and has about every bell and whistle you could want.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 01-23-2008 at 15:54.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    I bought one of those because I was jealous that I didn't get one, LOL! I didn't get all the charging adapters though. Sportsman's guide for 40 dollars 45 with shipping if you enter the 5 dollar shipping coupon. Nice little radio in my opinion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast