Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images

Another Guyline

So I mentioned in this thread how I do my guylines for my tarp and someone asked for pics and (hopefully) a better explanation, so here goes. By the way, I copied this idea from Dylan when I saw his setup at the NJ Winter Hang, thanks Dylan!

Start with an 8' piece of line of your choice, in this example, I'm using mason's line.

Create a 6" loop using a locked brummel with a 6" bury. Create a 2" loop with a 2" bury on the other end. Lock the 2" bury with a piece of thread (in this example I didn't get a chance to do that).

Take the 6" loop end and begin a prussik knot around a hollow item like an empty Bic pen or a toggle like I have here. The toggle is only about 3" long so a pen might work easier due to the line wanting to slip off easily.

Feed the end with the 2" loop through the grommet on your tarp.

Next, feed the end with the 2" loop through the toggle.

Slide the toggle from the prussik knot around it and remove the toggle from the line.

Once the toggle is removed, you should have something that looks like this:

Tighten the prussik.

Insert 2" loop through hole drilled in stake using a larkshead. I use old aluminum gutter spikes that I've sanded down and dulled the point although any stake works in this setup.

This next picture doesn't show this well, but here's the stake being used as a toggle in a marlin spike hitch. I use this for the gross tensioning and then drive the stake in. I use the prussik for fine tuning.

Here is what it looks like when it's all done.

As a relative newb, I hope these directions come across as easy to understand. I appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

When I originally saw this setup it was on a Spinn tarp and they don't stretch. I've got a Kelty 12 and there is a little bit of stretch so the prussik comes in handy. I am considering tarp tensioners of some sort on this setup in the future.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    really cool stuff Syb!
    i'm with ya up until the last pic. are you using the stake as a toggle in a marlin spike hitch to shorten the over all length of the guy line? i.e. to set up closer to the ground for protection from the weather?

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    really cool stuff Syb!
    i'm with ya up until the last pic. are you using the stake as a toggle in a marlin spike hitch to shorten the over all length of the guy line? i.e. to set up closer to the ground for protection from the weather?
    That's correct flatline. Keeps the lines looking neat as well. The flexibility in either decreasing or increasing your line is the beauty of this setup.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    brilliant!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Thank Dylan for this one, I just did some goofy pics. As soon I saw it I had to experiment with it. Not sure if it was Dylan's original idea or not but he's the man!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's a pretty slick system. Adding a shock cord loop at the tarp tie out gives you the self tensioning system that we all like to use on nylon tarps. The only downside I see to this system is that one can't easily adjust the guyline from under the tarp when it is raining out.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    A variant of this is what I use, and allows for adjusting tension from under the tarp. Plus it gets you to learn a new splice.

Instead of splicing a loop on the tarp end of your guyline and using that to make your prussik, instead make yourself a small continuous loop to use as your prussik loop. You can then either attach it to your tarp in the exact same way, by larksheading it on and then forming the prussik around the toggle (that's a rather ingenious way of getting the prussik around a line, by the way, with the passing through the center of the hollow toggle and all that) or you can form the prussik knot around the guyline, and then larkshead it onto the tarp by passing the whole line, prussik and all, through the loop.

In the end, what you end up with is the prussik right up close to the tarp d-ring or grommet, and you pull the guyline to tension, which can be done from under the tarp without having to reach out much. This eliminates all the slack being at the stake end of the guyline, and puts it at the tarp connection point, at which point you can coil it up and tuck it in the prussik loop if it bothers you to have it dangling.

It's the way the whoopieslings.com guylines work, and can be seen used and attached in this review Grizz did of them. I snagged a set of 4 of the JRB tensioning guylines from another forum member a while back, and just spliced myself 4 small prussik loops to complete the setup.

The way you do them looks like it works just as well, and by the looks of it your splicing skills have come along since the winter hang! Nice job, Syb.

Edit: I reread your original post, and saw you talking about adding a tensioner to this. By having the marlin spike hitch to take up slack at the stake end, and the guyline prussiked (is that a word even? ) to itself at the tarp connection end, likely the only place to add a tensioning device would be the middle of the line. Because your system allows for shortening the line at either end, the 'center' of the guyline is variable, and thus choosing the proper placement for the tensioner may eventually become problematic. For example, if the tensioner is at one end, you can effectively shorten the guyline all the way from the other end without dealing with making things even. If it's in the center, the shortest you can ever make your guylines is the if make your marlinspike hitch as close to the tensioner as possible, and then pull the prussik out all the way to the other side of the tensioner - but you can never eliminate the distance of the loop the prussiked end creates. With using a continuous loop prussik and putting the tensioner at the stake end, for example, this allows you, if ever needed, to shorten your guyline to effectively the length of the tensioner and no more. Did that make any sense?
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 03-07-2011 at 23:35. Reason: Added an idea ...

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Okay, now you've done it Syb. It's after midnight, and instead of thinking about bed you've got me pulling out pieces of rope and measuring and thinking about splices and such

I'm sure there's a mathematical equation to represent what I'm talking about, but heck if I know what it is. Thinking more about what I was just saying about minimum length possible with your setup, I tested something. When you form an adjustable loop with a piece of line that has a eye on the end, either by prussiking to itself, or even by pulling a bight of the line through the eye like you were going to larkshead it onto something, that effectively cuts the adjustment possibility in half, because the line pulled through becomes part of the larger loop being formed.

So, for example, if we look at the last picture you posted, it looks like the line pulled through the grommet of your tarp and prussiked to itself forms about an 8 inch loop, as shown. Now, for every one inch of slack that you take up through that prussik, it only shortens the guyline by .5 inches. Take up 6 inches of slack, only makes the total length 3 inches shorter, etc. So if you have a 8 foot guyline, you can only ever shorten it to 4 feet minimum using the prussik adjustment, essentially making the line one giant loop. By taking up the slack on the stake end like you suggest, you can get that distance much shorter, but the fine tuning using the prussiked tarp end of the guyline is not as efficient at shorter distances.

I guess in the end what you've essentially done is create a spliced, no knot version of a taut-line hitch. Which is perfectly usable and functional. But you did ask for feedback, which made me start to get overly analytical and start rambling, and in the end everything I babbled about can be summed up with "looks good, the only downside I see is that you limit your minimum length" Everything else is just the late night circuitous meanderings of my mind, and my somewhat OCD need to see a thought process through to the end once I start.

Images
    Not tonight but first thing in the morning. Thanks Syb that is a very clean guideline setup.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Great explanation/pics - thanks for sharing

So the marlin spike hitch stays tight & you adjust with prussik?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast