Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

a hammock for a big lad

hi all does anyone know of a hammock that will take the weight of a big lad (approx 420lb ish) as he has a bad back and is trying to get back into hill and fell walking
    cheers wedgie

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I believe warbonnet has made custom versions for a could of heavier guys around here.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    brother, I am your size and I use the ENO Doublenest. It says it is rated to 400, but trust me, i am 420 and it holds fine. I have it set up with the stock caribiner at the gathered ends, hooked to amsteel whoopies (1600 pound rated each) then hooked into black diamond climbing carabiners (1400 pound rated) attached to clarks tree straps (roughly 1500 pound rated). So far, it has held me just fine, very comfortable.

On the subject of quilts, contact Stormcrow at www.hammockgear.com. He made me some custom winter quilts, down filled, and worth every penny. When you talk to him, tell him want the "Big Papi" edition quilts. He will know exactly what to do. they are awesome. If I can be of any other help, just let me know.

Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wedgie,

I'd reach out to the Tree to Tree Trail guys as well. The Switchback is rated out to 385, but I am sure that it would hold more than that.

Also, a +1 for what Big Papi said, I've had well over 450 pounds in my double nest ... basically the whole family ...
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Bad MahambaJamba
    Insulation
    Grizzly bag pad
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Hey, that means in a double nest, I could get me, and one 100 Lb. girlfriend! Or me and two 50 Lb. dogs! Oh, the wheels are grinding folks. The wheels are grinding...

*the girlfriend I have now is NOT gonna like this*
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Dain Bramage videos at

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatDaddy4Fun?feature=mhum

Images
    You folks need to be careful with how much you stress materials, whether it is fabric, suspension, or carabiners, etc. Just because you stress something one or two times doesn't mean it is safe at those loads for repeated use. Safety factors are real, serve a very useful purpose, and when they are established by competent professionals they are not imaginary or just something some dork pulled out of their arse. The purpose of having recommended loading on components is to be able to use those components safely where there is little chance for a failure. In general, the closer you load a component to its maximum (where failure is imminent), the greater the chances of failure. And failure might be on the first use, second, third... tenth, etc instead of the 100th, 1000th... 10,000th, etc.

Just for a little information: when components are stressed at or very nearly at their maximum load bearing capacity for quality testing, it is not uncommon to discard (or retire it from use) that control sample because you have seriously reduced its reliability even at the reduced loads it is recommended for.

Please be careful and conservative enough to avoid accidents that are avoidable with some forethought so you can enjoy hammocking rather than ending up injured.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 03-09-2011 at 08:09.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i would suggest a diy double 1.9 ripstop gathered end style hammock i am 6'2" and 255 lbs and use a single layer 1.9 ripstop gathered end hammock and have no worries.
    Hops

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I managed to get me and my girl in the double eno deluxe for an afternoon nap and it held up I'm 380 and she's 130 it held us both for a 2 hour nap fine
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    wow joe! a 130 pound girlfriend? I AM jealous, I want one of those! haha just keep an eye on the fabrics, and do a visual inspection after every trip to check seams etc..... but for me, if one of my Enos breaks, they are cheap enough that I can just go buy another one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I didn't think the hammock would hold so I hung it about 8 inches off the floor it worked out well don't know if I would trust it for a all night sleep for the 2 of us but we will nap again.
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast