A wannbe's first questions

I’ve been reading posts here for a couple of weeks now. So now I have some questions.

1) If I buy nylon at 60” wide and I am making 40” wide hammock, do I have to cut off 16” to make a single layer hammock? (Allowing for hemming the edges.) Is 40” the ‘perfect’ or usual width? Is the cut-off then good for stuff sacks? Or will I need it later to use some where else I have not realized yet? Are pinking shears the best way to cut rip-stop nylon?

2) If I use 1.1 rip-stop nylon for a 2 layer hammock, why use 1.9 at all? (I’m thinking I will slip a pad in between layers as well.) Would 1.9 serve better as my tarp, especially if it’s waterproof? And if the tarp is waterproof, does the hammock need to be?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reddz View Post
    I’ve been reading posts here for a couple of weeks now. So now I have some questions.

1) If I buy nylon at 60” wide and I am making 40” wide hammock, do I have to cut off 16” to make a single layer hammock? (Allowing for hemming the edges.) Is 40” the ‘perfect’ or usual width? Is the cut-off then good for stuff sacks? Or will I need it later to use some where else I have not realized yet? Are pinking shears the best way to cut rip-stop nylon?

2) If I use 1.1 rip-stop nylon for a 2 layer hammock, why use 1.9 at all? (I’m thinking I will slip a pad in between layers as well.) Would 1.9 serve better as my tarp, especially if it’s waterproof? And if the tarp is waterproof, does the hammock need to be?

First and foremost, welcome to HF. Again, the hanging gang grows one greater. If'n you're gonna make a hammock, 40" is a very narrow hammock. You're more likely to see most hammocks closer to the 60" range and I'm willing to bet they're much more comfortable. And after all, comfort is what it's all about.

As far as the material if the hammock is concerned, double 1.1 or single 1.9 is a simple matter of preference. Heck, make one of each and see which one you like better. Double layer hammocks are nice to be able to slip a pad in between, especially if it's a little too warm for an underquilt.

If you're going to make a tarp, you definitely need something waterproof like silnylon, for instance. If you make a waterproof hammock, you don't get any air flow and that will eventually lead to you laying in a hammock soaked in your own perspiration, so go with something that breathes.

Good luck!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. There's a lot of great info here and here is my $0.2.

40" might be a little tight. Most DIY hammocks are about 60" wide with hems all around.

1.1 and 1.9 have different amounts of stretch. I have a 1.9 single layer and it lays very flat with hardly any stretch - I'm only 170 pounds so that is a factor. 1.1 double will have a different lay and might have some more stretch to it.
    The tarp should be at the very least water resistant whereas waterproof can get heavy. The hammock being waterproof? That would cause some condensations right up against your body and that's not a good thing. Check out some of the DIY hammock threads and enjoy!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As Hooch and Syb said, 40" is too narrow for a hammock. One of the keys to getting comfortable in a hammock is to lay in it on a diagonal and for that, you'd need a wider hammock. 60" is a good width IMO.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    60" is a good width IMO.
    And if you find 72" wide nylon, buy it and then you'll be hanging in dreamy goodness.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Are pinking shears the best way to cut rip-stop nylon?
    Go with 60".

My preferred method is to use a "hot knife" to cut nylon. I use a regular soldering gun with a cutting tip (available at Sears, etc) and a piece of tempered hardboard or glass as a work surface. I would use regular scissors before pinking shears.

• + New Posts