Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Cuben Tarp

This outfit is a brand new up and coming UL gear manufacturer who has just made the top of the list for best ultralight pack in the new Backpacker Magazine gear guide. Their cuben tarps are bomber and innovative with modular options, and they are about to release a cuben hammock tarp the middle of this month. I was fortunate enough to get one of the first to come off their line. It weighed in at 9.4oz, including all lines (included) and the cuben stuff sack. It has solid reinforcements on all tieout points, catenary curves on both sides and top, tape sealing along the ridgeline, linelocs on all tieouts and a couple of hanging rings attached underneath the ridgeline. It has an 11' ridgeline length, sized similarly to as maccat deluxe I'm thinking. I set this up in my backyard and got a nice taut pitch with almost no effort at all. It's a beautiful tarp. Here's a picture below of the tarp. Can't wait to get this out in the wilderness and really put it through the paces. Not cheap at $315, but it's in the same ballpark as other vendors. The owner Mike was very helpful and the customer service was outstanding. My order was was shipped the same day I placed it. It's great to have another quality vendor out there!

Very nice looking tarp, thanks for the pic!
    Do you have a pic of it over your WBBB? Also what is he/she using for the tie out line?
    Yea I saw the article/page in BPM about the Hyperlite pack, I don't really endorse BPM as they have a pretty shady history of the reviews and products they test (ie.. leaving a good amount of manufactures products out of the tests, and other things as well) I'm not starting a debate on BPM, just commenting on me seeing the article!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    It has an 11' ridgeline length, sized similarly to as maccat deluxe... It weighed in at 9.4oz, including all lines (included) and the cuben stuff sack. . Not cheap at $315, but it's in the same ballpark as other vendors.
    MacCat Deluxe 130"×104" Sil 13.1 oz (370 g) $115.00
    Spinn 10.2 oz (289 g) $160.00

0.8 oz savings for $155??
    ding, ding, ding...we have a new winner in the gram weenie compitition!!

JK, seriously, best looking cuban tarp I've seen yet..the cat cuts seem to really help the pitch! Thanks!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Not much of a weight savings, but I bet it packs down to half the size of the spin.
    Just my $.02.
    Carl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The linelocs do require slightly heavier lines to work well. The lines that shipped with it look a lot like Kelty Triptease, but I'm not sure what they are. Going with lighter line and ditching the linelocs can probably save you ~1oz in weight.

I'm guessing that the tarp alone weighs in the ~7.5oz range, similar to the MLD tarp. You can use lighter weight fabric and save more on weight, but you run other risks. Lots of tradeoffs to consider here, and everyone has their own preference. I usually go with the lightest weight I can get without compromising on durability. And I like the feel of the cuben fabric a lot more than I like spinn.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I've dealt with Mike a few times for his in-house cuben tape. Really nice person to deal with and definitely ships out fast.

That being said the weight of that tarp is a little high on my gram weenie scale for me personally. I like my cuben tarps not to exceed 5.5 - 6oz if it's cuben.

Still a sexy tarp though.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

i have been following them for a year now. I almost bought their double cuban tent last year.

When you really do some comparisons from their products to other manufacturers, they always seem to come in on the high side of the price scale.

They do however seem to stock inventory vs most of the other guys (in other words they can often ship out immediately instead of 8 weeks from now).

Its nice to see they are branching out and making changes to their existing gear. I know they just redesigned their pack and I hear they are making the inner tents higher in response to customer demand.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah, the HMG Windrider pack is also pretty interesting. I have the gen1 version. It is made of a cuben/ripstop hybrid material, totally waterproof and really really tough, with CF frame stays for 24oz. Their gen2 makes some improvements on the side and back pockets I believe.

BPM does miss the mark quite frequently on their product reviews, and frankly I am surprised to see them weigh in on such a new and cutting edge product. But in this case, I think they are right on the mark. Maybe there's hope there.

Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    i have been following them for a year now. I almost bought their double cuban tent last year.

When you really do some comparisons from their products to other manufacturers, they always seem to come in on the high side of the price scale.

They do however seem to stock inventory vs most of the other guys (in other words they can often ship out immediately instead of 8 weeks from now).

Its nice to see they are branching out and making changes to their existing gear. I know they just redesigned their pack and I hear they are making the inner tents higher in response to customer demand.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    MacCat Deluxe 130"×104" Sil 13.1 oz (370 g) $115.00
    Spinn 10.2 oz (289 g) $160.00

0.8 oz savings for $155??
    ding, ding, ding...we have a new winner in the gram weenie compitition!!

JK, seriously, best looking cuban tarp I've seen yet..the cat cuts seem to really help the pitch! Thanks!
    i was thinking the same thing. other cuben vendors have a smaller pricetag (zpacks 11x8.8 is $230)
    I only got zpacks cuben because he offered Green or Olive. Cuts down on the white cuben's "sleeping inside a light bulb" effect (think: full moon)

andy, does mike make this in colors?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    As fas as I know HMG only has white cuben for now. I checked out a zpacks cuben tarp a while back and recall observing that it did not have much (or any) reinforcements on the tieouts. Don't know what they do now. In contrast, HMG took the same approach as MLD and OES and fortified the tieouts to take a real beating. Zpacks does offer a good price and weight point. All depends what you are looking for in a tarp I guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast