Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

very first time choosing a hammock, yes I ve been reading

Hi,

well, after introducing myself in another thread, here s the next step.

Im interested in getting a hammock for solo use to save on weight, to get off the ground and
    to try something new. But, which one ? All I know are the warbonnet and the stuff at REI.

weight under 170 pounds, 5ft6in tall, mostly back sleeper
    I m not much of a DIYer or MYOGer.
    budget, I guess around 200, maybe 300 (a nice tarp I could use seperately)

Mostly I d be using it around Virginia, however I have a trip to hawaii coming up, aw well as SE asia and
    maybe Peru in the next 2 years (so, hot and humid with creepy crawlers). I don't thinkg I d be using it during winter but just in case...

I already have some equipment geared towards light backpacking which I hope to use in conjuction with a hammock
    to save some cash and have less stuff in the closet....

neoair pad 72x20x2.5 R2.5 14oz since it s for solo use
    kooka bay pad 72x24x2.5 uninsulated, mummy
    very old blue ccf pad

western mountaineering versalite 10 degrees down sleeping bag 2lbs
    in the process of getting a newer, lightweight summer bag/quilt/sheet

msr carbon reflex 2 tent which weighs 3lbs 1oz in the field so I m hoping to get under 2lbs for a hammock setup (hammock,suspension,bugnet).

thanks for any help !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello davidvcd. To replace your tent you also have to add the weight of a tarp to the set up. A hammock set up won't necessarily save weight. It may end up being about even but the main difference is comfort. A good nights sleep plus having somewhere to sit and lounge makes makes all the difference.

From personal experience I can recommend a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double layer or a Tree to Trail Switchback 1.1 double layer light hiker. Both are comfy and good for backpacking. The double layer will allow you to use your pads.
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-09-2011 at 19:14.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    To get under 2 lbs you might want to look at Grand Trunks Nano 7 or Ultralight. The ultralight is bigger, and easier on the wallet - which gets my vote both ways. Swap out the suspension for whoopies and adjustable ridgeline and mine comes in at 10.7 oz.

Find yourself a good tarp and bug net and you'll be set.

I'm waiting for bug season to test out the bugsock I picked up from Papasmurf. He makes these to fit your hammock, and a 1.87 oz I found it a nice deal.

As for tarps, I went a little $$ on this, but a 5.1 oz, zpacks cuben fiber tarp called my name.

Just some suggestions for you to consider. The GT U hammock w/whoopie slings, Papa smurf bug sock, and zpacks cuben tarp are well under 2 lbs total

Thanks !

I think I m going with a GT ultralight (what a low cost!) with the whoopieslings all in one system (which sling/hugger length would be best ?).

no bugs out yet so the bugnet can wait.

a custom zpack cuben tarp (with "doors") seems to be worth it since I can use it even without the hammock.

For tropical weather (eg hawaii), do I need insulation ?

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidvcd View Post
    For tropical weather (eg hawaii), do I need insulation ?
    yeah,..you'll need something. even laying in your house you'll find that your bum gets a little cold. sleeping on a bag won't solve this either. if you've got a double layer with a pocket you might be able to fill it and get by but i wouldn't chance it. you could use a pad inside + a sleeping bag but imo takes away from the comfort.

if you're doing a hike in hawaii i would think you'd just need a really light summer UQ, something with 2-2.5' of loft.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    It would not save you any weight over your tent set-up but a Claytor Jungle hammock would get you in a complete rig for $150 including a tarp. It would be double layer (good w/ pads). You could easily switch out the suspension to save a few oz and make set-up easier. IMO one of the best hammock bargains going.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

For me hammocks don't save weight over a tent or ground tarp / bivy but they do provide superior comfort.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    If you want bomb proof - and with the snakes and nasty creepy crawlies in SE Asia, you need bomb proof - Then you wouldn't go far wrong with any Hennessey. The Scout and Expedition are within your budget, and that's for a complete integrated package. You can even have a zip free version if you wish to have maximum reliability. p.s. - for a bit more money, they have much lighter versions.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    + 1 on the Hennessy
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

get sleeping bag with zipper footbox

My ultralight setup -- Grand Trunk Nano 7 hammock, Spinn-nylon MacCat Deluxe tarp, and a Kelty Lightyear down bag, which has a zipper in the footbox. Pull the hammock through the sleeping bag. At your size and weight, you will sleep quite comfortably. Ultralight. Full benefit of the bag's warmth since you won't be compressing the bottom like you would if on the ground. No need for the pad at all (unless suspension breaks or something else forces you to the ground!). Check it out in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9hZYe4dno

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    My ultralight setup -- Grand Trunk Nano 7 hammock, Spinn-nylon MacCat Deluxe tarp, and a Kelty Lightyear down bag, which has a zipper in the footbox. Pull the hammock through the sleeping bag. At your size and weight, you will sleep quite comfortably. Ultralight. Full benefit of the bag's warmth since you won't be compressing the bottom like you would if on the ground. No need for the pad at all (unless suspension breaks or something else forces you to the ground!). Check it out in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9hZYe4dno
    I have looking into this quite a bit, but I must caution that I'm not sure that the Light Year still has a zippered footbox! Just a head up

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast