Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images

3 Day 2 Night Scout Camporee

This is starting as a pretrip report. I have camporee this weekend with the Boy Scouts. I will be the only one hanging from our troop, and possibly the whole group. About 90 to 100 boys are expected plus adults. Thankfully they are not all in my troop. I hope to show off some of my gear. I have 2 set ups I am going to test. The first is my ENO single and a Crazy Creek tarp that I recieved from the PIF. The second is a DIY Gathered End and a Kelty 9 tarp. The weather forecast is highs in the mid 50's lows in the mid 30's and rain sometime between Sat night and Sun. For insulation, I have an order for a 3 season incubator UQ, but I have not recieved it. Hammock Gear was experiencing some delivery delays for supplies and I ordered on short notice. So, my insulation will be a mummy bag that was converted into an UQ. The zipper removed and tie on points added. I am also bringing a poncho liner to use under that UQ if I feel the need. I am using a sleeping bag for top insulation, and again, if the need arises, I can get in the bag. We always have a camporee fire Sat night and will have my DIY Jerry chair to use. I have sat in it a few times in the yard, and this will be the first time on a campout. This will be my first real hang. I used my ENO at the BSA Jamboree in August, but that was before finding HF. I was not that comfortable, but better that on a cot. I have learned alot since coming in here and plan to use that knowledge. I have extra material that I am bringing, just in case. I have extra stretch cord, mason line, and cord locks. I have full confidence in my hammock and tarp. The insulation--not so much. I was hoping to have time today to set up and check things over, but moms van broke down and I had to go fix it. So now I'm just winging it. Will have an update when I get back, with pics, of course.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Looking forward to your trip report. I hope all goes well. The photos will prove it happened.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Sounds like you are well prepared. Expect a lot of different reactions from the other campers.

Some will be very excited, "You sleep in that!" and run over to look at it.

Some will think you are crazy, "You sleep in that!" and give you that questioning look that suggests perhaps they should call someone for you.

Have a great trip and I'll look for the report on the backside.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like you are well prepared and will be fine.
    If you have time to pick up a space blanket or two, you might consider doing so as a backup... although from what you described, can't imagine you'll need them.

Next year you'll be the one they are talking about... you know... that guy that had the hammock that got all the others wanting to try a hammock.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    wally world tarp
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    i too was at the Nat. Jambo. i brought my ENODN. did you have a chance to check out the hammock display while you were there? the camporee sounds like a great place to be able to display and show scouts(for those that don't know scouts tend to be gear nuts) alternate backpacking/camping idea

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images

Back from a great weekend!!

First to address a few previous post. We ended up camping back in the woods a little and other scout troops could not see my hammock. We have another camporee in April where it will be more open and more visable. I did see the set-up at the Jamboree. Infact, research after I got back is what lead me here, Hammock Forums. A few of the boys in the troop did indeed say "Your sleeping in that?" We had rain this morning (Sunday) and I got a few- "Did you get wet?", the answer-NO!! It started about 4:30a.m. and did come down hard for a little bit. We arrived at camp about 7:00p.m. Fri. The first thing is selecting a site and getting the troop equipment set up. That includes two tarps and seven tents- all canvas. Here is 1 patrol set up.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Then I got to set up my gear. Here is my EnoSL, Crazy Creek tarp and DIY UQ. I had a poncho liner and pad, but didn't have to use either. For the most part I was warm. Every so often I would feel a cold spot, move over a little and was fine. Temps about 35 deg.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    It started to rain just a little Sat morning and I switched to my other set-up, my DIY Gathered End and Noah's 9 and used the same insulation. I didn't want to take a chance with anything getting wet and I could see a few small pin holes in the crazy creek tarp.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    A final review- the Eno was OK, but not as comfortable as my DIY. The UQ seemed to limit the amount of angle I could get and the flat lay. I was able to get a flatter lay in the back yard with no UQ. The same with the DIY GE, not the same lay as without the UQ. Can't wait for my Incubator to get here. The DIY GE is longer and allows for a better, flatter lay, IMO. Both hammocks seemed to have stretched a little over night, and sagged a little lower to the ground. I think it may have just been everything just tightening up. I got up Fri night and tried to adjust a little, but wasn't having any luck, so since I wasn't on the ground I went back to sleep. No more stretch. The DIY GE I hung a little high, thinking that it would also have a little "stretch". And it did. When the rain started about 4:30a.m. I had just climbed back in after a call of nature, talk about timing. I listened to the rain for alittle and was soon fast asleep. I had tied a drip line to my amsteel, and checked it when I took the hammock down, they were dry, so no rain down the suspension lines. It was a great weekend, the boys all had a great time (that was the most important part) and everyone was dry. And every good campout has a fire so........

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Got to love the BSA campouts. Not always rustic and certainly never quiet, but usually a lot of fun. Anytime you can get good rest while at a camporee, is a success in my book. Usually the adult snoring is enough to wake the dead!

Thanks for the report.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Good to hear your gear worked out. Wow! Did the kids sleep in the old style canvas tents? I've slept in a few of those. I was the first one to get a hammock in our Troop for my son and me. Got interseted in them after meeting Tom Hennesey at world 07 Jambo. Now have converted 6 or 8 people to hammocking. One time we were fighting over trees (who got there first) but it all worked out. You might consider making the 2x4 hammock stand for hanging on when there is no trees.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Yes, the kids and other adults all used the canvas tents and were in cots. We use them on all camporees (3 a year) and summer camp (Goshen) has them. The cots kill me, I just can't get comfortable in them. Our canvas tents are over 30yrs old and have the official BSA logo on them. As for a stand, I did have 2 2x4s, rope and anchors. Just in case we camped where there are no trees. Like this set up in my yard.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Std Expedition
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images
    I've hung in my HH Expedition on 3 BSA trips now. I am the only hanger in a troop of about 50 boys + adults. (I'm one of the adults, at least if age is what qualifies you) I hate the old canvas tents, especially for summer camp. They are like saunas and the cots are miserable. Glad your first trip went well with your troop. I am looking forward to getting my sons in hammocks this year. Then we can really start converting the BSA troop to hangers!!
    You are only lost if you have someplace else to be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast