DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Molly Mack Pack comfort

So when I first joined the forums, I saw lots of stuff on the Molly Mac Pack, briefly glanced at it, didn't understand what it was, and put it out of my mind.

Now, as I'm starting to think about what I want in a pack, and I started researching MOLLE and ALICE packs, I understand it better, and think it looks brilliant. It's now on my short list of gear, with a few questions:

How's the comfort? I can guess that compared to the metal or plastic frames of the MOLLE/ALICE packs, it's a dream. But the biggest question I have is about the shoulder straps. On the original models, it looks like Mac was using surplus military style shoulder pads, which I gather were heavy, but more padded. The new straps look like they are made in house, but look to have much less padding. I realize that much of the weight of this style pack is designed to rest on the waist with the wide hipbelt, which in itself looks much more padded. But how do the shoulder straps feel, for those of you that might have one? Too thin, too minimalist, or just right?

I currently have a 70L EMS pack, and was looking to pick up a smaller day/overnight pack for those times when I just want to do a quick overnight and the big pack would be overkill. The idea of a modular frame pack that's light and can be configured however I like it, to whatever size I need is majorly attractive, but call me old fashioned, when it doesn't have big cushy pads and straps, my shoulders and waist hurt just looking at it. I'm sure not the case, but a little reassurance can't hurt.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I just got mine and have not used it under load, so I'm afraid I can't comment yet on comfort...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Best bet is to try it out. If you come to MAHHA in PA, we can go up into the woods and collect firewood. I'll let you carry it on the way back. Mac will warn you that my straps are different from the new ones, though, but you'll see how it transfers the load to the waistbelt. Come to think of it, my waistbelt may not be state of the art either, plus I've modified it. Maybe I'm not the best person to ask, but I like mine. Maybe Mac will have a test model there.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

Wv Nice One

I've seen you load that pack with wood...I don't want to carry it..

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    On the original models, it looks like Mac was using surplus military style shoulder pads...
    Only the very first prototypes had mil surplus straps, so that I could prove the Molly Panel first.

The new straps look like they are made in house, but look to have much less padding.
    That's right. The entyre Molly Mac Pack is made by me. The shoulder straps are 3.5" wide and almost a 1/4" thick. The same fairly rigid polyethylene foam is used for the 8" x 29" belt pad. The shoulder straps work well because they have a large surface area, as opposed to having a lot of padding.

...call me old fashioned, when it doesn't have big cushy pads and straps, my shoulders and waist hurt just looking at it. I'm sure not the case, but a little reassurance can't hurt.
    I understand! The idea is to put almost all of the weight on the belt, but the Molly Mac Pack shoulder straps can carry quite a lot of weight comfortably. If you like, I will gladly double up the foam for you, but I don't consider it necessary at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    I just got mine and have not used it under load, so I'm afraid I can't comment yet on comfort...
    I know you plan to load it lightly, so I'm sure you'll be comfortable. Can't wait for your trip report!

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Best bet is to try it out. If you come to MAHHA ... Maybe Mac will have a test model there.
    Unfortunately, I won't make it to MAHHA. I'll be at Hot Springs and Trail Days, the two weekends following MAHHA.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    I've seen you load that pack with wood...I don't want to carry it..
    Yeah, you saw him at Mt Rogers this year... he went out to get wood, and returned to camp with a stack of 2 1/2' logs strapped on like stuff sacks!

At Hot Springs one time, WV had a huge cast iron pot strapped to his Molly Mac Pack! He cooked up a mess of ramps...

I wish I had a picture of Hogn8r with his 75 lb outboard motor strapped to his Molly Mac Pack!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    So when I first joined the forums, I saw lots of stuff on the Molly Mac Pack, briefly glanced at it, didn't understand what it was, and put it out of my mind.

Now, as I'm starting to think about what I want in a pack, and I started researching MOLLE and ALICE packs, I understand it better, and think it looks brilliant. It's now on my short list of gear, with a few questions:

How's the comfort? I can guess that compared to the metal or plastic frames of the MOLLE/ALICE packs, it's a dream. But the biggest question I have is about the shoulder straps. On the original models, it looks like Mac was using surplus military style shoulder pads, which I gather were heavy, but more padded. The new straps look like they are made in house, but look to have much less padding. I realize that much of the weight of this style pack is designed to rest on the waist with the wide hipbelt, which in itself looks much more padded. But how do the shoulder straps feel, for those of you that might have one? Too thin, too minimalist, or just right?

I currently have a 70L EMS pack, and was looking to pick up a smaller day/overnight pack for those times when I just want to do a quick overnight and the big pack would be overkill. The idea of a modular frame pack that's light and can be configured however I like it, to whatever size I need is majorly attractive, but call me old fashioned, when it doesn't have big cushy pads and straps, my shoulders and waist hurt just looking at it. I'm sure not the case, but a little reassurance can't hurt.
    A good pack does'nt have thick padding on it. It should have just enough to be comfortable. Go online and check out some of the monster sized packs for hunting, tactical use or very long trecks where the wearer of the pack is carrying extreme weights. None of them have thick padding on the shoulders or waistbelt. These packs are designed to pack out quartrered animals that weigh 400-500 lbs or to carry enough for a 2-3 month treck without resupply. Go on EBERLISTOCK and check out their packs. They are specifically made for either hunting or tactical use and are extremly comfortable with heavy loads. I have a "JUST ONE" pack by them and am beyond happy with its perfomance. I could carry a wounded person or a side of venison or 1/4 elk (more then you would ever want to carry) and do it without any pack pain. I too have been looking at the Molly Mac Pack and think its a great idea. I just have to convince myself i need it despite having about 15 other packs of various sizes. Good luck.

• + New Posts