Hello All Interested Hanging Types,
As I was dinking around the backyard last night with a full moon beaming it's moon-rays into my beanie covered noggin' .... the notion to string up the hammock overwhelmed any rational thoughts I may have had at that moment.
The thermometer was at -3o at 9:30PM. Why not slumber in the chill?
I hung my diy hammock, diy UQ, diy BlackCat tarp w/ end-flaps, SPE with a blue CCF pad from REI and a BA insulated mat partially inflated, REI Sub-Kilo 0o bag and diy hammock sock (to be deployed later if needed).
Goofed around in the backyard until about 11:30PM and crawled in at about -6o at that time. I wore as follows: pair of Possum Down socks, VB socks over those then Smartwool expedition wool socks. Slept with JRB down sleeves over my footwear in the bag. Did not get cold feet at all. As well I did have the hammock sock pulled to about knee level just to see if that helped. Think that it did give that extra bit of protection.
Wore on legs my REI mid weight polypro underwear, a pair of thin fleece leggings and Mont Bell Thermawrap pants over that. Splendid combination and I was warm.
Torso was enclosed in Smartwool Mid-weight top, thin 100 weight fleece shirt, Golite Wisp wind shirt, Mont Bell short sleeve down shirt/vest, 200 weight fleece top from Campmor and a down parka over all of that. Fleece wrist warmers and slept in Manzella thin stretch gloves. Basically I sleep in my entire winter clothing minus rain pants and jacket. They are for that next level of cold to add if needed. Did not need put them on last night.
By the way, I was well fed and had a hot drink before sleep.
My head was covered in REI polypro balaclava (my favorite), 300 weight fleece beanie and my parka hood. I added a fleece facemask at around 4:00AM as it was -12o at that point and my nose was c-c-cold. Also, I got up to whoo-whoo and when I crawled back in I pulled the hammock sock up to my neck and closed it off. I feel that really helped in that time of night when the cold tends to catch up with you. No condensation in the hammock sock. Yes!
Seeing that I slept until 8:00AM no need to tell you all that I was warm and comfortable and did not want to get out of the hammock. But do any of us hangers ever want to egress the hammock cocoon?? The cold never got me underneath and for that I am happy. I am really pleased to know that I/We can sleep out in frigid winter conditions in our favorite sleeping/camping style. Starting to feel like I am getting a good and safe system dialed in for this Minnesota type of cold.
That is my report. If you cannot get to the woods then hang 'er in the backyard and test, test and test.
Just chillin.......
Shug