Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Clark north american new low temps

Okay winter has really made it here for the past two weeks with temps of anywhere from 20-5 degree’s I have in the past two weeks been able to hang in back yard and test although there is not much to test I am using the same equipment as before but I will list it here for those of you who have not seen it.

Clothes

I AM A WARM SLEEPER (This may not apply to those who are cold sleepers)
    Underarmer boxer shorts, midweight guide gear poly pro top and bottom
    1 pair of Smartwool hiking socks and a fleece skull cap, and a fleece line jacket don’t ask the weight of jacket I don’t know it’s made for wear after diving but it is the only fleece jacket I have and no gloves

Sleeping System

Guide Gear ¾ inch self inflatable pad, Browning kyna 0 degree bag,

Hammock

Clark North American, weather shield and bug shield and XL rain fly

First night was 19 degrees with calm winds to 5mph wind gust
    Second night again was 19 and calm
    Third night was 16 with 10mph winds
    Fourth night was 20 something 10mph winds and 3 inch’s of snow
    Fifth night was back down to 16 calm winds

Temps for these next to night was 10 and 13 and winds were up a bit 10-15mph
    I spent the next two nights at the quarry where I teach diving and after being in water all day diving I didn’t feel like getting into the hammock afterward but I did. I stayed warm
    And dry diving most of those days but I could tell that hyperthermia was playing with me.

All day on and off while diving I tried to keep myself well hydrated so that meant lot’s of pea breaks although I take pea breaks in hammock as to not have to get out of hammock and bag and lose all the heat unless it is to poor the bottle out for next round.

On those tonight the only thing different was I tried to hide behind something to help Block the wind I stayed warm during those two nights to some degree I think had I not been in the water all day for those two days I would have had same results as before which was warm to the point I have to open the weather shield but the only thing that I could tell was cool not cold was my feet which was nice as they usually get hot a sweet a bit.

Back to the house for the next week’s testing nothing any different from last weeks testing just trying to see what my kit and I can indure

This week has shown to be colder so I am getting new low temps

First night was 14 degrees with calm winds
    Second night again was 16 with calm winds
    Third night was 9 with 5 mph winds
    Fourth night was I am not sure somewhere around 9 because my thermometer quit working for some odd reason 10mph winds with gust up to 15-20

Fifth night was back down to 7 my all time low and calm winds

And this week I have not done anything but sit and look out the window wishing I were back out there.

So what would I do differently?

I would say the only thing I would do differently would be maybe eat more hot foods all day the day’s that I was diving and heating up some hot tea to poor in a bottle to take in the hammock with me on those days as well.

My Pro’s

Clothing seems to work just fine for these temps and that is great because I don’t like to be encumbered with allot of clothing while sleeping ( less is better ) unless it’s when you get cold then the above is not the default attire. Don’t get me wrong I had plenty of other clothes to wear incase I needed them but for the time I have not and they stayed in the pack. I sometime wonder if I would have put the extra clothing in the pocket as Clark says to do would help but at this point I have not had to yet not saying I wont but as of now thing are pretty good. But would like to see what would happen if I did do that.

At these temps I have not had to deal with in condensation I think leaving the weather shield open at the top is the biggest and main reason for that. I only open it about 6 inch’s and that allows what I believe to be moisture out and keeps the heat in although I am sure that some heat is going out but not enough that my breath/body heat wont build it back up again so it never has a chance get cold inside.

Cons

On those day that I was diving I probably should have just went home and slept in bed and if I was in a place where I couldn’t hide behind something the outcome might have been allot different.

As I have mentioned before I wish I could find a bag that was not real snug the one I am using is 38 inch’s wide in the shoulders, and weight too much and packed smaller. I know there out there but right now my budget wont allow it.

Well that is it in a nutshell

Happy hanging.
    Last edited by cavediver2; 01-24-2008 at 13:14.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a cool TR Cavediver! Sounds like your tests are going well and you are aware of the pro's and cons. Ain't it fun testing the limits and figuring your personal system? Keep on with it and keep us up to date.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like fun to me.

- JT

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info!!!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    great report cavediver!
    you know... as long as you have a pee bottle that seals well, there's no need to pour it out right away.
    your body heated it up... may as well let that heat work for you as long as it will & keep it next to you<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Images
    Great Info. Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    great report cavediver!
    you know... as long as you have a pee bottle that seals well, there's no need to pour it out right away.
    your body heated it up... may as well let that heat work for you as long as it will & keep it next to you<g>.
    I do that and keep it inside the bag with me

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I sometime wonder if I would have put the extra clothing in the pocket as Clark says to do would help but at this point I have not had to yet not saying I wont but as of now thing are pretty good. But would like to see what would happen if I did do that.
    Great report! I would try the clothing in the pockets if it is available. This may allow you to use the bag as a quilt. I recently made a 1/2 UQ for my Clark UL and found with the bottom warmer I was a lot more comfortable and needed less on top.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Great report! I would try the clothing in the pockets if it is available. This may allow you to use the bag as a quilt. I recently made a 1/2 UQ for my Clark UL and found with the bottom warmer I was a lot more comfortable and needed less on top.

Yes I had been meaning to ask you about that. As it stands now for the most part I am to warm most of the time so my next test will be two fold. I am going to try my other el cheapo 0 degree bag that is way to tight in the shoulders for me as a quilt. I am also going to try stuffing a few clothes in pockets and see where that takes me. I am also going to try to wear lighter weight stuff in the 0 degree bag that I have been useing in cold temps.

There is a problem with all of this as the temps are going to be back up in the 50's for the next 5 day's or so and down to the low 30's at night and I dont have any problem there ( STUPID WEATHER ) just when I was starting to have fun.....

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Sounds like fun, Cavediver2...

I know I would have no trouble staying warm in my Clark even when the weather goes down into single digits...I just haven't figured out how to optimize my Coleman Catalytic heater, which I like to turn on when I wake up and just before going to sleep, using a hammock......

In winter, I can use the same set-up in the Clark as with a tent...mostly down and wool combos...I am a very, very cold sleeper...so, when temps are going below 20F I wear this combo from skin out...silk turtleneck, Smartwool crew, Montbell down inner vest, Smartwool bottoms, sock liners, ragg socks...I sleep in a Feathered Friends Eider down bag with Event rated to -20...in the bag with me (I am skinny so there is too much airspace in the bag for me to heat) is a Montbell inner down jacket and pants and sometimes even my sub-zero Parka along with one or two large Nalgene bottles in cozies that I don't want to freeze...I've found I stay warmer with all those clothes in the bag with me rather than ON me...I think most folks would be warm in sub-zero temps with all that down...at least it's all very light and very packable...as it gets warmer I remove stored stuff from inside the bag and move it to the pockets.

I sleep, in winter, on an Exped Downmat 7 long under which I have a 3/8 inch, mummy shaped closed cell pad that came with my Golite Fur quilt years ago...I'm not sure if I really need the closed cell pad but what the heck, it's really light and packs small and besides, I haul gear in a sled in winter so bulk, if it's not heavy, is not an issue...

And, lest I forget, I wear my sexy looking (to a pig) nose cozy...

• + New Posts