BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

Vapor barrier solution

I have perfected my ultralight, minimalist solution to cold weather hanging. Low cost. Minimal gear. Ultralight weight. No fiddling around with top quilts and bottom quilts. No sleeping pad inside the hammock.
    Here is the list
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Whoopies suspension, straps with marlin spike & dead stick used for toggle
    Hammock pulled through inside of down bag with zipper in footbox. I use a Kelty Lightyear, which has a little zipper in footbox.
    Space blanket mylar turned into a mummy bag shape used as vapor barrier liner inside of sleeping bag. This mylar mummy bag came shaped as the mummy bag with the seams taped up nice and strong.

Here is a link to the mylar mummy vapor barrier. Many sellers sell these on amazon and other sites as emergency sleeping bags. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MGS67A

The mylar mummy bag vapor barrier weighs 3.9 ounces. In the ultralight world, that's a lot of weight. But, a down bag can gain, on average, a pound of weight per day on the trail from insensible perspiration that gets trapped in it as you sleep, and you can rarely dry a bag out on the trail properly. So the 3.9 ounce weight penalty goes away on the second day of the hike, and turns into a 12 ounce savings. On the third day, you enjoy a 28 ounce weight savings. Fourth day, 44 ounces. This is big weight savings on a multiple day hike. Plus, you sleep warmer -- maybe 10 to 20 degrees according to what you read. Keep the tarp rigged to block wind, and you have a very toasty, inexpensive, ultralight setup without all the fiddling around with top quilts and bottom quilts, etc.

This video shows the hammock-through-back setup, but doesn't show the mylar vapor barrier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9hZYe4dno

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    That is pretty much how I thought a VB should work.

Don't forget to figure in the loss of down's effectiveness as an insulator as it puts on "weight" too. Gets heavier, you get colder. You wear more cloths, upsets the VB and you end up soaked. This way at least most of the moisture still remains inside the VB, whether it's on the inside of the liner or in your cloths. Still better than getting it into the down.

Thanks for sharing.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    have you tested this in cold weather yet?
    as for fiddling with UQ's and TQ's i never had to fiddle with my TQ...
    now UQ's yeah sometimes you got to adjust them but not all the time

but i would like to hear how this worked in cold weather
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    .... But, a down bag can gain, on average, a pound of weight per day on the trail from insensible perspiration that gets trapped in it as you sleep, and you can rarely dry a bag out on the trail properly. So the 3.9 ounce weight penalty goes away on the second day of the hike, and turns into a 12 ounce savings. On the third day, you enjoy a 28 ounce weight savings. Fourth day, 44 ounces. This is big weight savings on a multiple day hike. Plus, you sleep warmer -- maybe 10 to 20 degrees according to what you read. Keep the tarp rigged to block wind, and you have a very toasty, inexpensive, ultralight setup without all the fiddling around with top quilts and bottom quilts, etc.

This video shows the hammock-through-back setup, but doesn't show the mylar vapor barrier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9hZYe4dno
    No argument about quilts gaining weight day after day from condensation. But a pound per day seems a bit much. I would think that just 1 lb of water added to a down quilt would pretty much wipe it out insulation wise. Where did you get these figures? Not that I don't believe you. But I am curious as to where you got this? I can see a few oz, but a lb? Unless maybe under Arctic conditions.

But anyway, a VB should cut that to zero or close.

Images
    I haven't tried the VB concept yet. Maybe next fall/winter I'll give it a go. My system worked fairly well for me this year, after a bit of tweaking. Always looking for ways to improve. Thanks for sharing!

thats by no means ultralite. I think its an interesting concept, but needs substantial testing at temps maintained below freezing in multi day treks, before it's a "solution"

Checkout the winter camping section of bpl, there are lots of threads on vbl use and its draw backs and pluses.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

Whadya mean it's not ultralight?

I can't imagine a lighter 3 or 4 season setup than I've outlined for hammocking. I've used it to 20 degrees, comfortably. With a smartwool balaclava on my head, topped with a fleece beanie, it's a toasty way to spend a night in the cold woods. Can I go lighter? Somebody tell me how. Every gram saved is more Everclear that I can bring!

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    isn't it uncomfortable to sleep in the banana shape like that? I also like the pea-pod ideas but can't get past the curved back and hyper extended knees. Am i missing it?

-Tim

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    thats by no means ultralite. I think its an interesting concept, but needs substantial testing at temps maintained below freezing in multi day treks, before it's a "solution"

Checkout the winter camping section of bpl, there are lots of threads on vbl use and its draw backs and pluses.
    Well, hey. You've got to put a title on your post, and it sure wasn't implied that his solution was also going to be your solution. I think giving folks a little leeway here and there is a good thing.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts