Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    I'm game for wherever. I hear driving up to the Duluth area is absolutely terrible around Labor Day, so I'm hoping that doesn't end up being the date, or we have a completely different location that is accessible to more people.
    Did you mean Memorial Day or is this now a Fall Northern Hang instead of a Spring Northern Hang.

I go up to the SHT every Memorial Day (it's an annual thing for me the past 5 years) and I've never had issues with traffic or finding places to camp. In fact last year I camped on the Split Rock River Loop which is a very popular area and there was no problem finding a place to camp.

The challenges with the SHT and a typical large HF type group hang event are parking (trail head lots are small) and finding a large multi group campsite close by. The reason I say close by is that typically folks are wanting to have the usual big communal BBQ's (lots of food, coolers, trash to pack out) etc. which lends itself more to a campground car camping type event. It's a PITA to have to haul all of that stuff on a long hike and then having to pack all of the trash out. I certainly wouldn't find that to be fun and isn't real practical.

On the other hand if the entire group wants to hike some miles and eat backpacking meals etc. then the SHT is great. It all comes down to what the majority of the group wants to do. Nothing wrong with either way, it should just be made clear up front so everyone knows what to expect.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    While most people seem to prefer memorial day weekend, it is one of two that I cannot attend. My preference would be anything but memorial day! I can't remember which now, but the one before or after does not work for me either. So sad!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    OES
    Hello to all! Brand new to the forums here! Love the hammock camping though! Really looking forward to this hang, wherever it might be but my vote is the SHT... Whenever works for me!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post

On the other hand if the entire group wants to hike some miles and eat backpacking meals etc. then the SHT is great. It all comes down to what the majority of the group wants to do. Nothing wrong with either way, it should just be made clear up front so everyone knows what to expect.
    Great point. I've never been to the Northern Hang, but, I would think hiking would be more fun than staying at one campsite. However, it could be a little tough if we have a group of over 15. I'm sure we could pull it off though.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Great point. I've never been to the Northern Hang, but, I would think hiking would be more fun than staying at one campsite. However, it could be a little tough if we have a group of over 15. I'm sure we could pull it off though.

Fronkey
    The fall 2009 Northern Hang worked out pretty good in that the group split up into groups and hiked and camped in the backcountry the 1st and 3rd nights and on the second night stayed at campsites in the park that were very close to the parking lot making it possible to have a large gathering and lots of food so it was kind of the best of both worlds. That wasn't during a holiday weekend though.

Getting campsite reservations within a state park during the holiday weekend is probably slim to none. My thoughts are that if Memorial Day Weekend is what everyone wanted and the location is the SHT then it would probably have to be a hiking trip where half the cars parked at the start point and half at the end point and then everyone shuttle in the cars. I can't speak for the NCT as I've not been there.

I can make the hang if it is decided to be on the SHT over Memorial Day weekend since I plan to be there anyway. If it's at the NCT or elsewhere that weekend I won't be able to attend as I have plans to stop in to my Dad's in Duluth on my way home to the twin cities. I could probably make the hang at any other location besides the SHT if it falls on a different weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    I see that may 27-28 is the most popular choice, im getting married on the 28th of May.. she might be alittle upset if im late!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigpaddle View Post
    I see that may 27-28 is the most popular choice, im getting married on the 28th of May.. she might be alittle upset if im late!
    You should come on the 29th and have your honeymoon.

Fronkey

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    a whole different meaning to whoopie slings .hmm the honeymoon hang might be the groom that gets hung from the neck if he tried that one.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Not sure I can make this one as I'm planning on being up on the SHT two weeks before Memorial Day Weekend.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345