Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad

Insert for a Hammock Sock

Alright, its finally come to this. i have searched the archives, but unable to find any answer to my question, so Ill ask. On Just Jeff's site he mentions putting a insert at the bottom of a hammock sock, my question is;

How wide should that insert be. i was thinking 30-32 inches at the widest point, but was looking for input from others. Any suggestions would be appreaciated.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    I didn't do a insert on mine. I think the important thing is to have 2 different pieces of fabric around the circumforance of the circle. That helps open it up a little. I think mine was around 30 or so if that helps.

I found it easiest to make the tube, then put it on the hammock and trim the taper from there. Wastes a little fabric, but it makes it easier to make.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The insert ends up being smaller than you might imagine that you need. Mine was about 30" wide and just make sure to follow JustJeffs instructions on making sure that the edges of the insert do not exceed the length of the edge of the sock.
    Pretty easy once you start sewing.....
    Best of luck,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    You may not believe it, but I put an insert in my sock this week, and I had never read Jeffs instructions, I just know it compressed my Snugfit a little before I did it. Secondly, my latest sock is made in two pieces. (I Have made 3 of them). The large underside of the sock fits over my Snugfit only to block the wind but the top of the hammock is completely open. The second piece is velcro'd to the bottom piece to shut off the top. There are places to suspend the top closure so it won't hit me in the face, but may be laid close or far from your body according to the way you pull up the supports. In other words, the ridge line is above the sock, not within the sock. Just thought you might be interested in another approach. The bad part is that it is five ounces heavier than my one-piece sock I made earlier. If I don't have to use the top piece, however, and so far I have not needed to, I can leave it at home and get by with a 10 ounce bottom sock. With the top it comes to 14 ounces. Not so good, but it will keep me warmer if needed and it's versatile. My second sock weighed only 11 ounces, but it was not really long enough for my beloved Claytor....
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Like HE, I just used 2 pieces of fabric sewn together, with some of the estra material cut off the bottom, and the ends tapered.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - if you use two pieces it's wide enough w/o the insert. If you use one piece, you can use a lot less fabric and still have the width so your underquilt isn't compressed. I forget the width of mine...something close to what Risk used on his TravelPod: www.imrisk.com.

Enjoy it, and be sure to post pics!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    The reason I want to make an insert type hammock sock is because when i went to cut the fabric I need I ran out of fabric. I orginally wanted to make a two piece tube for simplicity's sake (in my mind), so now Im left with 2 pieces 65"-120" and 1 piece 108"-65". So thats when I figured I'd try the one piece design, since i had the material for it. I think Im going to fold one of the 10 long pieces in half lenght wise and use that width. I get some pics as soon as I make it. it will go great with my new hammock I made for my self for Christmas.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

• + New Posts