Images

Shenandoah - Gravel Springs to Pass Mt

I got off early enough Friday and headed directly to Shenandoah National Park for a little weekend backpack trip. It was close to 6 pm when I arrive, so I pulled into Gravel Springs Hut parking lot, hiked down near the shelter, set up my hammock, then sat back and enjoyed.

The next morning was a frosty 22F as I hiked out headed to Pass Mt, an moderate 12 mile hike. The scenery along the way was great.

Pass Mt. has an excellent camp site/hang area. There were 3 gents. already at the shelter, so after I set up the hammock I sauntered over for a little socializing. We ended up playing a rather fun set of Chess. There are 2 boards, and 2 teams. Myself and one gent. sat on one side, and were white. The other 2 sat on the other side, and were black. We began play, and each time an opponents piece was captured it was given to the other team member who could then put that piece in play, anywhere on the board, as one of their turns. Very interesting, and quite fun!

The forecast was calling for snow showers in the early morning hours. So, me being me, I hit the hammock early and got up at midnight to night hike in the falling snow back to my car. This was a unique experience, and I really enjoyed it. Especially when my headlamp picked up 2 sets of eyes staring at me just up hill from where I was. I, knowing the deer in this park and how they just stand and stare, said "HI deer!" Then one of the eyes climbed up a tree. As my brain went "deer don't climb trees?" I realized it was a Momma and her cub! The first bears I've seen this year. Too bad it was dark, snowing, and my camera was deep in my pack at this point. Too kewl!!

Excellent trip. Hope to get out again soon!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Great report. The pic of your setup is cool how you used the tree to not quite fully close the doors on your tarp. Good thing those eyes climbed up the tree instead of getting closer to you!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd like to see a tent camp out with rocks like that there. Way to show them! I've played that type of chess before too. It is a lot of fun and makes the game go by really quick. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Fronkey

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Such a nice report . . .

. . . Thanks so much.

Beauty looking area . . .

I have many miles logged in under a moon with snow cover . . .
    . . . and run into critters . . . but not a bear.

Thanks again.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts