Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Compression kills

I made a Ray Jardine quilt, and after 1 season, it lost about 1/2 of its loft. I've now gone back to down.

Jeff

Images
    Not to change the subject, but I don't buy into the whole down is worse than synethic when wet arguement. They both suck when wet. I handwashed my down jacket and had to work it and hold it under water before it was fully socked through. I wore it in light rains without any problems, not for too long though.

The only time I think it will get wet is in your pack or when it is set up. Either one is caused by bigger problems. I love hiking all day in the rain knowing that everything in my pack is bone dry. I also love laying in my hammock during rainstorms knowing I will be bone dry.

I bring this up only because it is the only reason I see people giving for synethic over down.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I agree. I bought into the synthetic marketing blitz a while back. Now, when I have a choice, I always go with down.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    OK, first: clearly down is better than synthetic..oh sorry Mahem, you asked me not to do that didn't you, just kidding.

I tend to agree with what your saying about compression sacks, I prefer having my gear in stuff sacks that are a little oversized so that soft things like clothes, quilt, hammock, etc. can conform to whatever shape needed in the pack. When everything was compressed bullet hard (the way I used to do it), it was always like trying to work a 3D geometric puzzle to fit the pieces in the pack and fit things in the open spaces.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the super size pack deal though - I like the smaller trimmer package on my back (its much easier when going off trail, scrambling in rocks etc) and of course my big problem with having a huge pack is just discipline related, I guess. If I pack all my stuff and the pack is only half full (or half empty - choose your philosophy), then I can't help adding to it - "my hatchet, it might prove really usefull on this trip, better throw it in theres plenty of room, and that old bake packer - I could make cake and bisquits! better take it, and my climbing gear - there may be some cliffs in the area that I might want to try so I'll throw that in too, and hey that smooth round rock over there- it could be handy if I have to pound in my tarp stakes and I loose the hatchet" and so on until I'm back up to 45 or 50 lbs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12