Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images

Kayak/Campout

So as I prepare for my first 4 nighter with my kayak, and I look at all the stuff laying on the floor I have to determine what is essential and what is not. I'm up in the mountains and the weather outlook is rain and cool, highs of 17c and lows of 7c.
    One question I have is which stove to take. I have an MSR Reactor that I have used a couple years ago for a week out and I just pruchased an MSR Pocket Rocket which I have used once. To go with the PR I have both a GSI Minimalist kit and a GSI Soloist. My dilemma is I know the Reactor works but the PR to me is unproven and I am having issues with putting my faith entirely on the PR for this trip. The Soloist and Reactor are basically the same size so that isn't an issue. But I don't want to take all three set ups.
    The minimalist would be used to cook a quick shore lunch as I paddle and to whip up some hot chocolate and would be used on a 16km hike I plan to take and the soloist would be my camp set.
    Your thoughts??

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

don't take untested/new gear

Don't take new gear unless you have thoroughly tested it at home first (outside!). Stick with known performers. I kayak camp, too. My boat is a 12-foot transitional design, Current Designs Vision 120. While it has plenty of storage room, I pack nearly the same as when I backpack -- minimalist/ultralightweight. In some ways, I'd rather adapt my walking/hiking style to carry more weight than my paddling style. A heavy boat is horrible to paddle. So watch what you pack. On my last 3-day trip, my total load was 11 pounds before food/water, and only a couple of pounds of food. Unfortunately, due to the robber barons drilling for Marcellus Shale gas and injecting chemicals into groundwater, I had to carry my own water rather than filtering/treating river water. Sigh. So I had 24 pounds of water. Horrible. My minimalist sleep setup is a GT Nano 7 with whoopies and a cuben fiber tarp. I pull a 40 degree down bag around the hammock like a coccoon in warm weather months and a 20 degree down bag in the cold. I've taken it down to 5 degrees and been very comfortable. The bags have zippered footboxes (Kelty Lightyear bags). Keep that boat light in the water and you'll be a happy camper.

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I'd never take something that I wasn't totally comfortable with. However, the pocket rocket is a proven performer for tons of people. I believe I'd do everything I could to use it as much as possible between now and when you go (assuming you have a little lead time) and see how things go. If it doesn't fail you, go for it. I cook stuff with my backpacking gear all the time at home and for lunch at work just so I'm confident in it and experienced with it when I get out in the woods. Maybe some of the pocket rocket owners will chime in with their experiences to help you decide. Enjoy!!

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I don't think you can go wrong with the Pocket Rocket, it's small, cooks fast and mine has never let me down. As long as you're not trying to do the gourmet thing out there, you should be fine. Have a good trip whichever stove you decide on!
    Debi

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jraffini View Post
    I'd never take something that I wasn't totally comfortable with. However, the pocket rocket is a proven performer for tons of people. I believe I'd do everything I could to use it as much as possible between now and when you go (assuming you have a little lead time) and see how things go. If it doesn't fail you, go for it. I cook stuff with my backpacking gear all the time at home and for lunch at work just so I'm confident in it and experienced with it when I get out in the woods. Maybe some of the pocket rocket owners will chime in with their experiences to help you decide. Enjoy!!
    I agree with not taking untested equipment...that being said, I have a PR and it works great, with no issues everytime. It is bomber. You might want to play with it at home, see how you like it, then make your decision.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    Go ahead stuff them in there for ballast/balance and trim adjustment. You know you have the room on that boat after all it's a four night'er. That way you may have time to check out that untested gear while waiting for night fall on the river bank and the appearance of the blood sucking Vampire River Mosquito. It has big evil red eyes and a 16 penny sting and can carry away a small.....never mind, just have a nice time. I look forward to you trip report.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    I think I will take both the Reactor and the PR for use with the Minimalist. I'll leave the Soloist set at home. Thanks for all your input!!

• + New Posts