Underquilt suspension basics?

Do most people hang their underquilts by tying to corner tabs or is there a better way?

I made myself a giant underquilt and I'm confused how to hang it. First, I tied shock cord to each corner and then tied that shock cord to my hammock suspension where it attaches to my hammock.

At that point I had slight gaps at the head and foot ends, so I added some light elastic to end channels there in the underquilt to gather the ends (cinch them up) to eliminate that gap.

I've slept in the hammock a few times with this set-up, and it seems to work okay, although overall the connection seems a bit loose and I think I'm getting at least occasional drafts between the hammock and the underquilt.

Is this basically how other people hang their quilts, with minor mods like changing the suspension angle (triangle thingys) or adding an extra loop of shock cord that goes from the middle of the quilt on one side, over the ridgeline, to the middle of the other side? Or am I missing something?

Also, are there any good methods for hanging an underquilt on a diagonal instead of symmetrically? I bet I could make my quilt narrower and less giant (bulky, heavy) if I could make it better match my diagonal lay.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I posted a diagram of how my UQ suspension is configured in this article:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-d...riangles-myog/

I hope that helps.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

That picture is excellent, thanks. Do most people put shock cord along the long sides of the underquilt? it seems that since the quilt is pulled taut along that axis due to the angle of the shockcord hanging lines, that this would be extra weight? Am I missing something there?

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the basic end suspension that you described with end channels on the end. I also experience some trouble with just that, so I've taken to hooking a shock cord at about the left shoulder of the UQ and attaching it to the ridgeline. I do the same at the right foot.

My JRB MW3 came with tabs in that location, so that's what made me try it. I liked it so well that I sewed two tabs in those locations on my MMG Shamu so that I can use it there too.

With all the shockcording I'm using, I did change out all of my shockcords from 1/8" shockcord to 3/32". Saved me a good couple of ounces in weight. Don't get any pain points where the heavier shockcord used to pull against me in some situations either, and it seems to work just fine.

SN

I'm definitely going to have to try running some shockcord over my ridgeline center and see if that helps.

I'm using 1/8th for all my weight-bearing shockcord, maybe I'll move to 3/32nd. For just gathering the quilt ends, though, I use a very light elastic cord (might be 1mm? The thinnest elastic cord available in Joann's Fabrics) instead, and it is plenty.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    That picture is excellent, thanks. Do most people put shock cord along the long sides of the underquilt? it seems that since the quilt is pulled taut along that axis due to the angle of the shockcord hanging lines, that this would be extra weight? Am I missing something there?
    There are a two schools of thought on this subject. Some quilt makers use corner tabs attached to bungee suspension (probably for the reason you cite). Others run bungees full length in side channels so the quilt can be slid up or down. I have both kinds but to me the first approach seems the most logical.

Spock out.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    I run the shock cord the full length on the sides because I have made 3" wide "draft tube" channels for the shock cord. When installed, the shock cord in the channels pulls tight against the hammock and seals any little air gaps that would have been there without them.
    It also allows me to adjust my UQ to fit ideally on a variety of different hammocks, from my extra large FrankenBird, to the mini hammocks that my 5 and 7 year olds use.
    So, if you have fitted your UQ to your hammock such that you don't need draft tubes, and/or you don't expect to use the UQ on other hammocks where the fit may be different... then you may not benefit from the full length shock cord on the sides.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I run the shock cord the full length on the sides because I have made 3" wide "draft tube" channels for the shock cord. When installed, the shock cord in the channels pulls tight against the hammock and seals any little air gaps that would have been there without them.
    It also allows me to adjust my UQ to fit ideally on a variety of different hammocks, from my extra large FrankenBird, to the mini hammocks that my 5 and 7 year olds use.
    So, if you have fitted your UQ to your hammock such that you don't need draft tubes, and/or you don't expect to use the UQ on other hammocks where the fit may be different... then you may not benefit from the full length shock cord on the sides.
    Love your DYMOG site and getting ready to make some changes to things that I've made. Do you have directions on how you make your draft tubes? I'm interested in that to help with my poncho liner under quilt....or any other I may make.

Hammock
    WBBB single 1.7
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    webbing
    I have shock cords at the foot/head ends and ones that run the full length of the sides. Adjusting the 4 of them gives a snug fit to my WBBB hammock. I have the 2 side cords attached to the amsteel at the end of the hammock and the 2 end cord cinched pretty tightly.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I really like this method s you get both methods included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpBURngVhA

Ghillieshot

• + New Posts