Chattin with WBG in another thread about heavier weight fabrics is what spawned this thread!!! That and the fact that there seem to be a several other heavy weight hikers about who have some questions about what to do when they are near the recommended weight limit on the materials that are commonly used to DIY a hammock.

The good Mister Speers uses Supplex to make his 350lbs+ hammocks, in the thread about the Taslan it was revealed that Hennessey makes his hammocks from that material. What WBG advised me of in those threads, is that those materials are mildly "grabby". That is to say they arent slick like nylon, so your clothes wont slide over them. His suggestion was that if I am concerned over the weight, to make a double hammock. This was not the first time this had been suggested to me, so I wanted to learn more about it, & have a couple questions.

1) With a double hammock, do I need to sew the 2 layers together all the way around? I ask because I read JJs bible to all things hammock & all things DIY (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...erHammock.html) where he made his version of Risks zhammock. I was afraid to rely on something like that, figuring that it really doesnt double the strength, just adds a pocket.

2) Would you use 1.9 on both layers? Two layers of a lighter weight nylon? One layer of 1.9 & a second layer of something lighter?

3) A more general question... does the double rolled, & double sewn hem do more than just keep the edges from fraying, & make it more presentable? I realize that hemming is necessary to prevent the fraying.

There were more questions when I started this post... but they have fled!!! ARGH!

Thanks!

Trav