Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Just a word of caution about modern sewing machines. There are a lot of electronice in them today. Protect them by running them through a surge protector instead of just plugging them into the wall. Could save your machine one day. Happy sewing to you all

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Ok, so yall have done it again. Amanda's sewing machine went out last week while I was gone, and today we had to take it to the repair shop. So, while we are there, Amanda had to buy a new Janome, right??? She better love me a lot, and of course, now she can get back to sewing on orders , including a new Cathedral tarp for me since somehow my other one went missing in the woods!!! Oh well, to stick to this thread, the new Janome is really an awesome machine, and surpasses her other machines by far, even the one we thought was suppossed to be wonderful. Oh well, this new Janome will allow Amanda to sew even better, and she can trade up without lossing any money at all (I like that part ).

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Hi Preach--
    Which model Janome did you get?

Was thinking of replacing an old (60s) abused Viking which after trips to the shop is still erratic and unreliable.

A PK here.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Hi Preach--
    Which model Janome did you get?

Was thinking of replacing an old (60s) abused Viking which after trips to the shop is still erratic and unreliable.

A PK here.
    We got the 525S, but will more than likely upgrade in a few months (they offer full trade in, if you upgrade before 6 months). Amanda like the upgrade capability and the 5 year warranty.

My life is filled with PK's, and I have 3 grown ones in my church ,
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    There's a dealer repair guy in town who sells Viking and Janome --- he demo'd the 525S for me a week ago and based on a few things that was the one I'm thinking of. Med-Light duty etc ... do not do heavy work. It went thru double webbing really well.

Like the warranty and trade policy.

Dad was a missionary to Haiti and country preacher for almost 50 years.....with 6 kids.

Best to you.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Images
    Happy 56th B'day to me...a SailRite LS-1, HD Sewing Machine....Simple Straight Stitch......

The Ultrafeed LS-1 features a mechanical walking presser foot that moves forward and back in time with the feed dog to ensure that the layers of fabric are consistently moving together through the machine. The result—heavy, bulky and even sticky fabrics like leather and window material are easily sewn with consistently symmetrical stitch lengths.

Sewn stitches can be made extra long with the variable stitch length mechanism. This reduces needle pucker for professional quality upholstery and canvas work. The walking foot with its aggressive bottom gripping surface creates a large, positive contact between the foot, the feed dog and the fabric itself. Walk over thick hems and make the transition from thick to thin without skipping stitches.

Excellent power is provided by a 110 VAC motor that develops 6600 rpm at 1.5 amps and a cogged belt and pulley drive system. A special large diameter balance wheel slows the machine down and dramatically enhances power. This wheel has been specially designed to work with our Posi-Pin clutching system. The Posi-Pin is a direct drive mechanism that results in 100% power transfer from the balance wheel to the machine’s needle. This novel system is much better than the typical compression clutch which is prone to slippage in heavy materials. Variable speed operation of the sewing machine is provided by an electronic foot control. This is a powerful, well designed machine.

Reversing is easy with the lever activated mechanism and, because the machine feeds so well, back stitching for long distances is possible. A welting tunnel built into the presser foot simplifies piping installation. Ultrafeeds are great tools for building cushions which have piping trimmed edges. And, because the needle is offset to the right in the presser feet, it is possible to install most zippers without changing to a zipper foot.

Sailrite provides excellent support. Custom guidebooks feature complete parts listing and exploded engineering drawings. Instructional DVD videos make use even easier. Tollfree support is available.

Sew as many as 10 layers of heavy canvas material or 8 layers of tightly woven, hard to penetrate 8oz Dacron (Zigzag stitching is best for sail repair. If this is your primary intent please take a look at the Ultrafeed LSZ-1 sewing machine.) Repair sails, make cushions, covers, awnings and leather goods. Install zippers, plastic windows, boltropes, shorten jeans, fix a tent, do auto upholstery. Use the Ultrafeed for crafts, upholstery, draperies, quilting and general home sewing—its performance and versatility are hard to beat!

Ultrafeeds Include:

Posi-Pin direct drive clutching system
    Combo cording/standard presser feet
    PowerPlus balance wheel
    Deluxe instrument quality carrying case
    Electronic variable speed foot control
    Sewing machine oil
    Machined idler pulley (jack drive - gear reduction)
    4 bobbins
    4 needles
    Scarfed gib hook
    Thread stand
    1oz cone of thread
    Custom guidebook
    Instructional DVD video
    2 Year Warranty

Last edited by SuperTroll; 03-31-2008 at 14:37.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    And all this for a low, low price of 19.95? But wait! There's more! .

Sounds like a great machine. Happy birthday!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    and to think I was going to get the $59.00 spcial at Wal Mart...now I'm even more confused on what to get!!!

Glad to see that one came with a DVD...did it come with the Big Block V8 as standard or was that an up grade...LOL
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    What is everyone's opinion of this machine?

http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe...ger_cg550.html

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    What is everyone's opinion of this machine?

http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe...ger_cg550.html
    Faster Sewing Speed - Up to 1,100 stitches per minute - faster than a standard sewing machine!
    Hmmm... this would not necessarily be a feature for me. I like to go at a set (slower) speed. I would only make faster mistakes with this many spm.

Stronger Motor- The Singer CG-550 has a motor that's 60% stronger than standard machine, making it easy to sew heavy-duty fabrics.
    Good!

Suction Cup Machine Base - Holds the machine securely to the table, even when sewing at maximum speed.
    Hmmm... my old Kenmore is so heavy it's not going anywhere anyway.

Handy Free Arm - Provides professional results and easy access to cuffs, collars, pant hems and other hard-to-reach areas.
    Very nice feature.

Snap-On Presser Feet
    Ok, this is a red flag for me. Will presser feet accessories be hard to find for this in a normal sewing/fabric store?

Otherwise, looks good. As long as it's not overpriced. My .02

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456