Tarp
    Green Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    SMC rings / straps
    Images

Picking out a sewing machine

What do you guys use for sewing machines?

I'm looking at buying one for mostly gear making. My wife may use it occasionally but not very much (if at all).

Is the Brother 10 stitch at Wallyword Brother 10 Stitch Machine any good?

Any input or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Images
    If you are not afraid to spend a little more I would go with a stronger machine. I got a 1950's singer for $250 and love it. It was a good deal from what I take from ebay. I killed 2 older cheap machines. If you think you are going to use it a lot I would get a good one. The older ones have all metal gears inside. Throw in the word industrial and it will do anything you want.

Give any sewing machine repair places around you a call. They usually have used machines for sale. Let them know you will be sewing heavy material. On my quilts on the corners it is 12 layers of fabric and 2 layer of gross gain ribbin. Mine blows through all of that stuff.

Stitch wise all I use is straight, reverse, and zig zag. Actually for what I do straight and reverse would be enough.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    $10 Singer at a thrift shop. Few well placed drops of oil and it was off and running. I got lucky; results may vary. Only need two stitches: straight and zigzag. Buttonholer function is nice to have, but not critical.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I used to have a cheap Singer from Target and made a lot of gear with it (backpack, hammock, quilt, tarp etc.). The machine was really temperamental (either full-speed or nothing) and struggled when sewing multiple layers of heavier fabric. I also had problems with the machine skipping stitches every so often for no reason at all. I used a walking foot with this machine, and that really made a big difference with some materials.

But for all the problems I had, I made a lot of nice gear with it. It is really all you need to sew gear, but maybe not all you want...

I now have a Pfaff and love it. The dual-feed system really works great, it doesn't skip stitches and does not choke on many layers of thick material. I think if I had had that machine when my wife tried her hand at sewing, she might not have given up that easily.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I got that one for christmas, works well for seams and other thin stuff. Only made snake skins and a hammock sock so far, handled the zipper great. Not sure how it will do on thicker stuff. I'll update when I get around to making my longer straps.

I have a backup machine(OLD heavy singer) that I got at a flee market for $10. Other than the reverse spring being streched out, it works great.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I bought a Singer Simple sewing machine from Wal-mart. 17 stitch. Paid $90 for it. Nice machine.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Insulation
    Exped 7
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    hdb,
    If you can find a local sewing machine repair shop, they sometimes have really good machines that they have repaired for relatively few $$.
    They will sometimes even show you how to use it. AND, if it needs repair you know who to take it too.
    Some fabric shops have sewing machine repair shops associated with them.

We have 4 sewing machines and a serger at my house. Only one of the sewing machines is a new one. The other 3 are at least 25 years old and still going strong. My wife's Bernina (which I'm not allowed to use), my mom's old Singer (that she gave to me), my Dial-n-Sew (weighs 20 lbs and is for heavy duty stuff but I use it for everything) and my daughter's new White.

We've always got something going on in the sewing arena!

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Green Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    SMC rings / straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I bought a Singer Simple sewing machine from Wal-mart. 17 stitch. Paid $90 for it. Nice machine.
    I was eyeing that one yesterday on lunch break. I think I made the little old ladies in the sewing section nervous.

I've looked at Craigslist and have not had much luck there. There was an "industrial" one listed for my area but one of my issues is it needs to be on the smaller side and needs to be easily moved. I don't have alot of room. The Singer Simple seems to fit that bill.

FanaticFringer, how does the Singer Simple do on webbing? I assume you'd have to take it slow..

Guys, thanks again for the input and keep it comming.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Works great on the webbing/velcro that I've sewed.

Quote Originally Posted by hdbint View Post
    I was eyeing that one yesterday on lunch break. I think I made the little old ladies in the sewing section nervous.

I've looked at Craigslist and have not had much luck there. There was an "industrial" one listed for my area but one of my issues is it needs to be on the smaller side and needs to be easily moved. I don't have alot of room. The Singer Simple seems to fit that bill.

FanaticFringer, how does the Singer Simple do on webbing? I assume you'd have to take it slow..

Guys, thanks again for the input and keep it comming.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I went for a completely reburbished 1947 Singer 15-88 at a cost of $300. Weights 40 pounds, straight stitch only, but a very, very strong machine. Sews four layers of heavy webbing like it's not even there.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 01-29-2008 at 08:28.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast