Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Advice for heavy hanger

I bought an ENO singlenest (looked closer and its a double nest...when I bought it I didnt know the differance) last year since I have wanted to try a good hammock for years but never quite got to it. I like the fact that it has a 400 #rating but also compresses small enough to carry. I used to bicycle camp alot but 2 years ago I got hurt on the job and gained a bunch of weight. I am thinking of hiking the at this spring/summer to help lose some of the weight as well as to escape life for a little while.
    My question is about the weight rating of the hammock. I usually weigh around 300 lbs or so ,depending on how lazy I was during the winter and how busy I am in the summer. When I got hurt I was coming off a slow winter and weiged about 330. Now two very lazy years later i weigh in at 410lbs. I desperatly need to remidy this situation ,but no longer want to deal with carring my ever shrinking tent.
    Will my eno hammock last long enough till I lose a little, or wiill the hang straps give,or..?. I dont want to use a tent only to have to send it home later,I would rather use my hammock.
    Thaks guys and happy hangin!
    Last edited by spanky4x4; 01-28-2008 at 17:44. Reason: doublenest instead of single nest

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It should hold OK. It won't take you long to lose 15 or 20 pounds out there on the Trail and then you'll be within the rating. I've had close to 500 lbs. in my Trek Light Double (same thing as the ENO) and the only thing that didn't like the weight was my stand; you should have heard the 'creaking'.

My concern would be your suspension. What are you using? I doubt the rope that comes with those would hold for too long before fraying at the first little hitch/nick. I'd look at some of the heavy poly webbing that Strapworks sells.

And....welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Thanks for the welcome. The hang straps are adjustable ? but they are what was being sold alongside the hammocks. (I bought it at a festival in northern indiana from a vendor). I assumed they will be strong enough but I have also looked at rachet strap type webbig rated at 1500# so I wasnt realy worried about replacing the straps if i had to. Just worried about a catastraphic failure miles from nowwhere.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If they are what came with the hammock, they are probably nylon. Nylon stretches and stretches and stretches. I'm pretty confident the hammock material will hold, but do some visual inspections daily. Especially the ends where the support line feeds thru the channel. There is some discussion about this being the weak-point of that style hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I will put in my .02 cents since I am a heavy hanger also. I hope that term doesn't catch on! Anyway... I was never that big.. always a little overweight. I am about 6'3 and always stayed in my 200's. Had some bad things happen and life slowed down a bit.... blew up to 450 lbs!! Finding that out was worse than anything that had led up to it! I have always been a hiker so I incorporated that into my workout. I eat right and workout at the gym during the week, dayhike on weekends (overnighters occasionally), and bike. I have lost about 110 lbs. It took a year but I am down to about 340 with my ultimate goal being back in the 200's (only 40 more lbs).

I started hammocking when I got under 400 simply because I had been wanting to try it and when I found out eno offered one in the 400 lb range I knew I could. It was huge motivation because I am so use to not being able to do things because of the weight, but eno still allowed me to do what I love (I didn't know about treklites at the time). I will tell you right now, even though I am on the lower end of 300, when I was upwards of 400 lbs I slept fine in my doublenest and have never worried once about it hitting the ground. I have used the slapstraps but they stretch and after reading this board I guess it happens with smaller people also. I simply bought 2 pieces of climbing rope from our local outdoor store and tie it with bowline knots with alot of sag. I really gained the most confidence in this setup after spending a few nights tossing and turning and being amazed that not only did it hold up while I was sleeping soundly, but bouncing around made no difference.

I have had this hammock with the bugnet and 9x9 camo tarp for two years. I use it pretty much every weekend just to lay in and have spent several nights in it (over 20). No problems yet. Anyway, I hope this helps and can maybe be some inspiration in your quest to drop some weight (lord knows it aint easy). Anytime you want to hit the trail with a fellow good health seeker, or for some more boring conversation, I'd be willing to go.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It should hold OK. It won't take you long to lose 15 or 20 pounds out there on the Trail and then you'll be within the rating. I've had close to 500 lbs. in my Trek Light Double (same thing as the ENO) and the only thing that didn't like the weight was my stand; you should have heard the 'creaking'.

My concern would be your suspension. What are you using? I doubt the rope that comes with those would hold for too long before fraying at the first little hitch/nick. I'd look at some of the heavy poly webbing that Strapworks sells.

And....welcome to the forum!

Hmmm 500lbs. One has to wonder.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Hmmm 500lbs. One has to wonder.
    Three people; not two. There was quite a bit of moving around and I will admit to being slightly concerned.

Mind out of the gutter kids; all clothing remained in place....mostly. It was movie night at Cannibal's; you wouldn't believe how much popcorn was in that thing when we got out. LOL!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Three people; not two. There was quite a bit of moving around and I will admit to being slightly concerned.

Mind out of the gutter kids; all clothing remained in place....mostly. It was movie night at Cannibal's; you wouldn't believe how much popcorn was in that thing when we got out. LOL!
    Ahh that makes sense. I was doing the math and it wasn't adding up.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    I will put in my .02 cents since I am a heavy hanger also. I hope that term doesn't catch on! Anyway... I was never that big.. always a little overweight. I am about 6'3 and always stayed in my 200's. Had some bad things happen and life slowed down a bit.... blew up to 450 lbs!! Finding that out was worse than anything that had led up to it! I have always been a hiker so I incorporated that into my workout. I eat right and workout at the gym during the week, dayhike on weekends (overnighters occasionally), and bike. I have lost about 110 lbs. It took a year but I am down to about 340 with my ultimate goal being back in the 200's (only 40 more lbs).

I started hammocking when I got under 400 simply because I had been wanting to try it and when I found out eno offered one in the 400 lb range I knew I could. It was huge motivation because I am so use to not being able to do things because of the weight, but eno still allowed me to do what I love (I didn't know about treklites at the time). I will tell you right now, even though I am on the lower end of 300, when I was upwards of 400 lbs I slept fine in my doublenest and have never worried once about it hitting the ground. I have used the slapstraps but they stretch and after reading this board I guess it happens with smaller people also. I simply bought 2 pieces of climbing rope from our local outdoor store and tie it with bowline knots with alot of sag. I really gained the most confidence in this setup after spending a few nights tossing and turning and being amazed that not only did it hold up while I was sleeping soundly, but bouncing around made no difference.

I have had this hammock with the bugnet and 9x9 camo tarp for two years. I use it pretty much every weekend just to lay in and have spent several nights in it (over 20). No problems yet. Anyway, I hope this helps and can maybe be some inspiration in your quest to drop some weight (lord knows it aint easy). Anytime you want to hit the trail with a fellow good health seeker, or for some more boring conversation, I'd be willing to go.
    those three paragraphs just calmed all my fears about using my eno. thank you very much! I was also worried about tossing and turning if the bouncing would hurt anything. I will try it for awhile with the eno straps,but when they stretch,Ill definatly change them out for something stronger.
    thanks for all the replys

Good luck with your weight loss Spanky. The past year I have buckled down & down & dropped over 80 lbs. Actually over 100 from my highest weigh in, but only 80ish since I started the gym/diet. It is VERY rough, & I am terrified of the scale tipping back up, especially when I want to lose some more weight... I have been having a tough time with the diet lately, especially with the cold months robbing me of my 4th workout of the week (hiking). Overnight backpacking trips, & biking trips are something I am aiming for, & a motivating factor in my weightloss... That along with not dying of a heartattack when my babies are babies!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast