Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Web + Amsteel

Web Stitch Strength Info

Here's a neat reference I came across when looking to sew my tree huggers. Looks like the recommended "box with an x" is the absolute worst way to sew webbing! The % number is relative to the webbing itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DIY Is my thing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images
    That's really interesting. I like that I could do the highest strength option, since my machine doesn't zig-zag for bar tacks. Where did you find this information?

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I think that the strength of different stitch patterns is likely relative to the magnitude, direction, and duration of onset of the force that is applied.
    I would love to read what types of loads and test methods were used to determine the values in this chart.
    Do you have the source?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Web + Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I think that the strength of different stitch patterns is likely relative to the magnitude, direction, and duration of onset of the force that is applied.
    I would love to read what types of loads and test methods were used to determine the values in this chart.
    Do you have the source?
    Yes, this is from "On Rope", the definitive guide to climbing rope and gear, page 240. The stitch strength shown is relative to webbing sewn longitudinally overlapping, as when forming a loop, or splicing web straps. From this, I inferred that the forces would also come from along the length of the webbing.
    DIY Is my thing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Web + Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    That's really interesting. I like that I could do the highest strength option, since my machine doesn't zig-zag for bar tacks. Where did you find this information?
    Yeah, it was also reassuring for me too, since the strongest stitch is the easiest for me. The bar tack fools people. Manufacturers don't use it because it's strong, they use it because they can train unskilled workers to sew it on a bar tack machine with great consistency. Even an old Singer 66 thread shooter can make the strongest straps!
    DIY Is my thing.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Good info, but.....

IIRC, the info is for dynamic (shock) loading of nylon climbing slings and lines. Nylon stretches more than poly, so it makes sense that longitudinal stitches and zig zag will stretch with the line and put less shearing forces on the eye. My data came from Nylon Highway, a climbing resource.

I do agree in principal with the chart, but the box x is plenty strong for our use and you are more likely to experience strap failure than stitch failure.

Take a look at nylon and poly lifting slings used in industrial applications. Many have a box x or multiple box x.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

Report and some testing info ang data

Read from Page 12 to 16 There is detailed information on thread, stitching and testing
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Web + Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    Read from Page 12 to 16 There is detailed information on thread, stitching and testing
    Cool, that corroborates the info from On Rope that 12 passes in a zig zag, with the length of each pass 2x the width of the webbing itself will be stronger than the webbing itself. It's also easier for me, and doesn't have to be straight to look neat!
    DIY Is my thing.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I like this for all the right reasons, and one wrong one: it's compatible with my sewing skillz, which are on the shabby side of sloppy. :ashamed:
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Good info, but.....

IIRC, the info is for dynamic (shock) loading of nylon climbing slings and lines. Nylon stretches more than poly, so it makes sense that longitudinal stitches and zig zag will stretch with the line and put less shearing forces on the eye. My data came from Nylon Highway, a climbing resource.

I do agree in principal with the chart, but the box x is plenty strong for our use and you are more likely to experience strap failure than stitch failure.

Take a look at nylon and poly lifting slings used in industrial applications. Many have a box x or multiple box x.
    What I saw when I looked at this was the box x or multiple box x was what was used also. It would not surprise me if the optimum pattern was a function of the webbing material, the structure of the webbing, the tread material, and the size/strength of the treads. Actually, I would expect that.

Think for a minute about the polyester mule tape, or pull tape. It is light weight because there is not much in the way of threads used perpendicular to the webbing. I would not trust sewing loops in this in general but particularly if they were only sewn along the length of the webbing because there is not much there to hold the stitch.

In the simplest terms, what you have is webbing with a certain strength and thread with a certain strength. If the webbing is 1500 lbs and the thread is 3 lbs, then you need 500 stitches to match the strength. If the thread is 10 lbs, then you only need 150 stitches to do that. The trick is to get those stitches 'load bearing' while not damaging the integrity of the webbing.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 03-17-2011 at 09:27.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast