Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

2nd Annual Dolly Sods Hang/Backpacking Trip - Sept. 16-18, 2011

I know this is a long way off but I've had people asking about it so here's the date for the 2nd Annual Dolly Sods, WV Hang/Backpacking Trip -- Sept. 16 - 18, 2011.

No other details planned yet, but info on last year's trip can be found here and here. And my personal favorite DS link: Dolly Sods Weather
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Hecks yeah!! I'm all in on this one! Goin a day early again, maybe two days early.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL in Black
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Yeti/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    I'll be watching for more info.

I was there last year 9/16 - 9/19. Pretty time of year, the colors of the grasses are spectacular. Very small window of opportunity, winter comes quickly to the sods.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Yes, and the bird banding was very cool too.

Images
    I'll mark my calendar!

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    We expect perfect weather like last year.
    The pressure is on. ;-)

Andrew and myself will definitely be there. Great time last year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Yes, and the bird banding was very cool too.
    Yes, indeed! I want to spend a little more time observing that activity. Do they publish the dates for it this far in advance? Does it happen to coincide with our hang?
    ------------------
    Answered my own question: http://www.brooksbirdclub.org/afmo.html "The Allegheny Front Migration Observatory (AFMO), located in Grant County, West Virginia, has completed its 53rd year of bird banding. The 54th season starts August 2011 and ends October 2011."
    Last edited by WV; 03-17-2011 at 08:19.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    LOL, we found the same info!

Yes & No. Here are dates but it depends on the weather.

The Allegheny Front Migration Observatory (AFMO), located in Grant County, West Virginia, has completed its 53rd year of bird banding. The 54th season starts August 2011 and ends October 2011. More information here.

Here's some other info I pulled from web last year for anyone who is interested. . .

Bird Banding Station at Dolly Sods
    The Allegheny Front Migratory Observatory (Bird Banding Station) is located at the overlook across the road from the Red Creek Campground. Established in 1958, the station is open from August to October depending on weather. It is the only cooperative banding station is West Virginia, although banders, who must be licensed, do band from their yards. Banders are volunteers, usually members of the Brooks Bird Club, who cooperate with staff from the Monongahela National Forest and the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources.

In the fall, songbirds are most likely to migrate after the passing of a cold front, and the migration usually is along a broad front. Many birds fly along the Allegheny Front in the fall and often are funneled through the dip in the ridge to keep on a southwest course. Birds banded at the station are mainly songbirds, and about one-third of the species banded are warblers. Most birds that fly down the Allegheny Front during their migration do not nest in West Virginia but in Canada and farther north; they winter in the tropics, the Caribbean,and Central and South America.

In order to secure the birds for banding, as many as 20 nylon nets are set up in 'net lanes." After birds fly into the nets they are removed carefully to avoid injury. The birds then are placed in a canvas sack and taken to the banding station, which is a plywood shelter where the bands are kept. The birds are identified for species, sex, and age, and then banded. Some are weighed and checked for fat. Migrating birds usually put on fat just before migrating. The fat is used for fuel for what may be a 200-mile night flight. After this information is recorded, the birds are released. This type of data is used to determine status and distribution of bird populations.

The information is very important because birds serve as a kind of ecological indicator of the health of the earth which all species must share. Destruction and fragmentation of North American forests due to urban development and agriculture have caused a serious loss of habitat for many woodland birds, especially warblers. Destruction of the rain forest in South America has meant loss of habitat for some birds that winter in the tropics. Banding stations
    such as the one at Dolly Sods provide information to help monitor the number of birds and keep track of fluctuations in populations.

It appears that numbers of woodland bird species are declining.Approximately 115 bird species have been banded at the Allegheny Front station. Not all species are banded. Because of their small size, hummingbirds are not banded but notes on their occurrence are kept. Species most often banded include Tennessee warbler, blackpoll warbler, Cape May warbler, black-throated blue warbler, black-throated green warbler, blackburnian warbler, bay-breasted warbler, ovenbird, dark-eyed junco, golden-crowned kinglet, and Swainson's thrush. Other birds that have been banded include merlin, sharpshinned hawk, yellow-bellied sapsucker, and several flycatchers including yellow-bellied and least flycatcher. The station bands over 6,000 birds in an average year. (For complete lists of birds banded and dates, refer to the Redstart which has annual updates of bird banding activity.)
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 03-17-2011 at 08:29.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Whooo buddy!! Yaaaayyy! Can't wait for this.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast