Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images

Ray Jardine Quilts

Hey, I'd like to hear from someone who's made one of these,
    is it worth it to make a top quilt from the Ray Jardine kit?
    http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

There are some old conversations here about them, but not much feedback about how well they end up working in a hammock or what temps they're actually good for.

Is it worth it to make one of these now, or is it preferable to wait several months, save the pennies, and buy a down quilt from a hammock gear manufacturer?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I have one that my wife made for Christmas a few years back. Works great stuffs down pretty well given it is synthetic. Wishn I had a down quilt.
    If could I would hold out for down.

Good for now.

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I made one with two layers of the alpine insulation. Turned out pretty well, and I like it. The directions were pretty easy to follow.

That said, the two layers that I opted to put together tend to be a little bit stiff in the hammock and they don't really wrap around you the way that down does. When I lay my down quilt on me, it kind of collapses to cover every nook and cranny of my body, which feels really warm. My synthetic quilt lofts up nicely and is warm, but doesn't collapse to hug me the same way. It's almost like the insulation bridges the nooks, which does lead to it not feeling quite as warm. It also doesn't stuff as well as down, although Ray recommends that you don't stuff any insulation that tight, and even when I take down, I don't stuff in any tighter than necessary.

I saved a good bit making my Ray-Way quilt, but I do think that down is a little more comfortable than synthetic if you can afford it.

SN

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I made a RayWay quilt, several years ago. I was just getting back into the whole backpacking thing after decades. I wasn't ready to spend several hundreds of dollars on equipment for a hobby I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy. I think it is a great quilt, especially for the money. If it's your first sewing project, it's a LOT more work than you expect. Mine is with the alpine option and plenty warm into the low 20's. It's synthetic, so doesn't pack like down, but it's not too bad. I have since determined that I do like this backpacking thing and have purchased a JRB No Sniv. My RayWay is now my son's and he uses it on all of his Boy Scout outings. If you are committed to backpacking, then you might as well go for a down quilt now, you will anyway, later.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I have made 2, one regular weight and one alpine. I have used nothing else for 5 years or so. I guess down might be better, but I'm very happy with these quilts. I don't camp in temps below the low 30's, and have always stayed warm enough with my quilt and a pad that I see no need for an underquilt. I got the footbox soaked one night (crappy tarp hang in a heavy storm) and the synthetic stayed so warm I didn't even realize it was wet until I packed up the next morning. Try that with down!

- Duffy

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Good point Duffy. It seems its not a question of which is better, synthetic or down, but more a matter of understanding each insulations strengths and weaknesses.

No experience with the Jardine quilt but Ray's a guy who's actually out there using his gear, so I can't imaging it not being a good quilt.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Not going to get into synthetic v. down wars - but I don't care what anyone says, getting anything insulation wet will make my life miserable, so I don't let that happen. Getting the shell wet or getting a corner of the quilt wet isn't the same thing as wetting out the quilt. Wet out any quilt and I'd be unhappy and cold. I've gotten water on the shell of down quilts and been fine. Never going to wet out the quilt with little drips of condensation or spatter - it's hard to wet out a down quilt! Anyone who's washed one will tell you that...

I have a Ray Way alpine upgrade - but I always take the down with few exceptions. I use the synthetic as a loaner. Down quilts are more comfortable. The Ray Way sees a lot of condensation inside the shell - for some reason that doesn't happen with the down quilts - but the version I have was of a discontinued shell material that Jardine no longer sells. That may be why.

I took the Ray Way recently on a trip in temps that it should have handled easily, and was cold. I wonder if it's started to break down already. Good thing I have the down quilts....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images
    Thanks, everyone! That's a lot of good information. I typically go on trips during the shoulder seasons, so it can get into the low 20s and teens at night. It sounds like it might be worth my while to save up and get a down quilt. Thanks!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Make your own down top quilt

Now that you have decided on down, why don't you make your own down top quilt? There are plenty of instructions on Hammock Forums and you can make one for a lot less than buying one. It is a lot of fun too! If you get stuck - just ask - there are lots of helpful people here. If you don't have baffles (internal walls) it is actually pretty easy to make a down top quilt. Go for it.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images
    Found excellent instructions for making a down top quilt - go to Lytw8.com and look half way down the page for Summer Quilt Instructions pdf. This quilt uses baffles and is a little more complicated - but the finished product will be fantastic. By the way - Ray Jardines idea of using fabric around the edges to seal in the warm air works great (I use silk all around the edges of my quilts and never have drafts - check out his "gorgets" idea).

Happy Trails

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast