TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGLER View Post
    anyone out there know of what kind of weight difference there is between the two? I just picked up some 1" nylon climbing tape at
    REI the other night. I chose it because it seemed lighter in my hands. I asked the guy that worked there but he didn't know. The stretch makes sense for a climber, don't think it will be a huge issue hanging my hammock, I'll just hang it tighter...
    That's what I started with (1" climbing webbing from REI). Too much stretch for my taste. Used it once, and switched to webbing from AHE. Much better.
    KJ

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by ehead View Post
    G'day Folks,

I'm new to the exciting world of hammock camping and am totally psyched to make my own hammock

So, in my quest for hammock-making materials, I have stumbled across some cheap rock climbing tape/webbing with a 17kN rating. I was wondering if anyone here has used this stuff before, and if so, what did you think of it? Do you reckon it would make a good tree hugger?

Cheers everybody
    Check to see if Scott at BWDD ships internationally, and order some 1" polypro from him. Great THIN stuff - best webbing I have found so far.

Hmmm... I am not sure on the term "TAPE" but I pulled some old 1" tube webbing from my climing gear and sewed in a loop into one end and that is all I use.

I am 5-10 at 200lb and I don't experience any stretching at all. maybe I am not using climbing "TAPE" but it is 1" TUBE webbing. maybe that makes the difference.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    Hmmm... I am not sure on the term "TAPE" but I pulled some old 1" tube webbing from my climing gear and sewed in a loop into one end and that is all I use.

I am 5-10 at 200lb and I don't experience any stretching at all. maybe I am not using climbing "TAPE" but it is 1" TUBE webbing. maybe that makes the difference.
    I've used the 1" tube webbing (Yep, climbing stuff) on several straps, and never had stretching issues. I'm 180lbs.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I used some from my stock of climbing webbing my first hang, rained lightly overnight and in the morning I was draggggging bottom. It does depend on how much webbing you have stretched out. A few inches hanging out from the tree will not have as much room to stretch as several feet will. Nylon is made to stretch, that's one of the characteristics for why it is chosen for climbing equipment. Though different brands will vary in how much stretch they build into the webbing.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Maybe that's the ticket... I set my toggles only an inch or two out from the tree (as close as I can).... how far out did you set the toggles.... a foot or two?

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Yeah, my straps were only 5' straps, just enough to wrap the trees and have some to connect the hammock suspension to. I carry a 2' strap in case I need extra size hehe. But still haven't had any issues with climbing webbing. It will relax, but I've never ended up on the ground.

I had one setup out in the weather for about 2 weeks weather and stress testing everything, and never touched the ground when I laid in it.

But again, I'm only 180ish, and I use somewhat shorter straps.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    DIY rip-stop
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Toggle
    I use the rock climbing grade webbing from my local sports shop and works great. i have 2 10ft. pieces as well as two small whoopie slings just if my trees are too far apart i can toggle to the webbing. i have never had a problem with too much stress on it, i just give the lines a little more pull then i would with a less stretch line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12